Sell Out?

Knuckles
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Sell Out?

Unread post by Knuckles » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:22 am

Good weather as well ...... Be disappointing if less than 14k.

tigerap
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by tigerap » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 7:53 am

Knuckles wrote:Good weather as well ...... Be disappointing if less than 14k.
If there are less than 14k out there today it will be a real shame

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by willow » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 9:02 am

Tigers eye big home support against Hayne's Titans
Sat 13 Aug, 2016, 7:00am
By Chris Kennedy ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Wests Tigers players, still buoyed by a massive home crowd that helped them get over the line at Leichhardt Oval last week, are hoping for more of the same a Campbelltown when a local product by the name of Jarryd Hayne comes to town.

Leichhardt Oval in Sydney's inner west, just next to Balmain, and Campbelltown Sports Ground in Sydney's greater south-west, are the two spiritual homes of the merged club and the pulsating 14,000-strong home crowd that witnessed the 26-14 win over the Cowboys could be a taste of things to come when the club hosts the impressive Titans on Saturday afternoon.

Many of the headlines will be around Minto boy Jarryd Hayne's first NRL game in Sydney in two years but St Greg's Campbelltown graduate Chris Lawrence is hoping the cheers come loud and strong for the home side.

"I love coming back and playing games here. Hopefully it's a big crowd, it's always a great atmosphere when we get a big crowd here and I love playing here," Lawrence told NRL.com.

"I'm a Wests junior, grew up here, played all my junior footy here so I had plenty of local junior league grand finals here when I was younger. I've got plenty of fond memories from this ground.

"I'm a Saint Greg's boy so I played plenty of school games here too."

Like his teammates, Lawrence was pleased to see prodigal son Hayne return to the code that made him a star and believed would add to Saturday's spectacle.

"It's definitely great for the game. Hopefully just him being in the game can increase the crowd and the atmosphere," Lawrence said.

The back-rower caught some of Hayne's highlights from his comeback game last Sunday (though none of the Tigers players were able to watch it live as it kicked off just two hours before the Leichhardt game).

"I watched it a little bit, I didn't see the whole game but it's no surprise [he did well], he's a great player and a great athlete so it's no surprise it didn't take him long to get back into gear," he said.

Hooker Dene Halatau volunteered the "Hayne back to his roots" sub-plot without even being prompted.

"I've played a number of games here myself now and I love coming out here," Halatau told NRL.com while standing out on the Campbelltown pitch during a Wests Tigers open media session mid-week.

"Saturday afternoon when it's packed is a good feeling; it's our last home game here for the year and hopefully there's a good number here. We've had a pretty good month so hopefully we get a good number of supporters out here. Jarryd Hayne's a local kid as well so no doubt there'll be some people that turn up for him as well," he said.

Like Lawrence, Halatau had had a chance to catch some of Hayne's highlights – including his first tackle in two years, an impressive try-saver at the line against a charging back-rower.

"I saw the tackle that he pulled off on Bodene [Thompson] on the line!" Halatau laughed.

"Bodene was running a really strong good line as he does and Haynesy stopped him a metre out pretty much full stop so obviously that was pretty good.

"He's got that vision, he throws a good cut-out ball and he sweeps out the back not too dissimilar to the way Teddy (Tigers fullback James Tedesco) plays as well. He hits it on the money every time."

supercoach
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 64 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 9:24 am

Not a great time slot, out of town team so I guess 13500 or maybe 14500 tops. I know two people who will be making the drive out there, so lets hope its packed to the rafters with one eyed Weststigers fans giving the Coast and the refs a gob full

tigerap

Unread post by tigerap » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 2:38 pm

About 13k here 30 min before kick off

tigerap

Unread post by tigerap » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 2:59 pm

Built up nicely last 20. Abt 15k here now

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 138 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 8:34 pm

Almost 17k? Looked packed

Gary Bakerloo
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 8:20 am

innsaneink wrote:Almost 17k? Looked packed
Yes, just shy of 17k.

Great atmosphere, shame they didn't get the result. Credit to to Titans, they took the crowd out of the equation for a best part of the match, but Tedesco's injury seem to fire the crowd up and the last 15 minutes was fantastic.

They keep playing in that fashion the crowd will be back. Walking out of the ground the talk seemed to be of a lot of respect for the effort.

Harvey
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 9:29 am

Was absolutely packed. I think there were more than announced. Going into ground just before kick off, they opened the gates & asked to hand over barcode section of ticket (i.e. a lot of fans did not scna in). These would have had to have been manually scanned or counted to have them counted, and not sure that this occurred

Patts

Unread post by Patts » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:44 pm

There is no way another 4000 ppl could have fitted into the ground yesterday to match the game record. The crowd was either bigger than they announced or the capacity is about 18500

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:51 pm

Having watched the game on the TV there was the odd vacant seat but I did notice that there were actually people outside of the ground watching(from the Athletics Ground!), a late walk up to the game saw many people sitting far from where they intended.

Eddie
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:53 pm

I was close to being on the money.

Seems more like 18K

Juro
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Juro » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 11:32 am

I don't often make the trek down to Campbelltown (or Leichhardt for that matter), but given the importance of this game and the expected strong effort of the team, I just had to be there. So after the kids' soccer, we got ready and headed off. Got there shortly after reserve grade kicked off. I was able to get good parking in the street only a block away. Getting out took a little while, but nowhere as bad as ANZ.

I was sitting in the south west corner, about the 20 metre line. I was glad I wasn't looking into the sun all afternoon. To my surprise, I was only a short distance from Paul Sironen, sitting a half dozen seats away. I looked over after the main game started, only to see he had left. Don't know whether he went to sit elsewhere, or was only interested in seeing the lower grades.

The atmosphere was pretty disappointing through most of the first half. It only really developed in the last 20 minutes.

I must say that I enjoyed the big dance number they put on as entertainment. Normally I don't care too much, but seeing so many dancers out there was pretty cool.
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Return to “Round 23: Wests Tigers vs Gold Coast Titans”