We need to sign a goal kicker

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5111
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Re: We need to sign a goal kicker

Post by stevetiger » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:13 pm

I don't see it as our biggest concern. If we can get a gun winger who is a great goal kicker as well then go for it. Otherwise Moses just needs to work on it.


Tony the Tiger
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat 16 Aug, 2014 11:07 pm

Post by Tony the Tiger » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:25 pm

Moses had a shocker, threw an intercept pass, resulting in a try, kicked out on the full, missed tackles and missed goals. Too much pressure for the young bloke and getting caught up in the so called coaches politicking. Sooner we sack Taylor and get a real coach the better. :sign:

Carefactor
Member
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon 27 Sep, 2010 6:28 pm

Post by Carefactor » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:28 pm

TigerWoods wrote:Does anyone know if we have any good kickers in the lower grades? Besides Farah of course. Maybe we just promote them
YES! Justin Hunt who happens to be a winger and fullback .

User avatar
Club Sandwich
Member
Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon 21 Apr, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by Club Sandwich » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:29 pm

stevetiger wrote:I don't see it as our biggest concern. If we can get a gun winger who is a great goal kicker as well then go for it. Otherwise Moses just needs to work on it.
Are you delusional? Goal kickers win games.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

User avatar
Club Sandwich
Member
Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon 21 Apr, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by Club Sandwich » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:32 pm

Tony the Tiger wrote:Moses had a shocker, threw an intercept pass, resulting in a try, kicked out on the full, missed tackles and missed goals. Too much pressure for the young bloke and getting caught up in the so called coaches politicking. Sooner we sack Taylor and get a real coach the better. :sign:
Here we go again with the "Sack Taylor" calls. Taylor didn't miss the kicks today. Taylor didn't fail to make the most of all our repeated sets. Taylor didn't make the rubbish Refereeing decisions.
We lost. It was a team effort.
Tigers tragic since 1980.


User avatar
MacDougall
Member
Member
Posts: 7964
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 4:03 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Post by MacDougall » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 6:44 pm

I think Ryan Papenhuyzen is a good kicker but might not see first grade until 2018. Hunt is no better a gk than Moses. I think we should let Brooks go next year and sign a decent, experienced, steady lower grade 7 who can goal kick. Like a Darren Nicholls type.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5920
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 8:33 pm

westTAHger wrote:I think you may find that:
Titans scored 4 tries - Don 2, Hoffman, McDonald tries
wests tigers scored three.- Nofoaluma 2, Naiqama tries

sadly if all goals were kicked by both teams, wests tigers still lose :roll:

wests tigers do need a goal kicker with over 80 % consistency, and someone else who can kick field goals.
I wasn't able to watch the game today, but the play-by-play looks pretty clear to me - Titans 4 tries 1 goal.

Goal kicking did not lose the game for us today, just did not clutch it out of the fire. But hard to be kicking sideline conversions to win games, only certain players can be relied on for that.

And to have a Pat Richards-type back, all the haters would be bemoaning his defence and ordinary finishing.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5920
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 8:56 pm

jirskyr wrote:
westTAHger wrote:I think you may find that:
Titans scored 4 tries - Don 2, Hoffman, McDonald tries
wests tigers scored three.- Nofoaluma 2, Naiqama tries

sadly if all goals were kicked by both teams, wests tigers still lose :roll:

wests tigers do need a goal kicker with over 80 % consistency, and someone else who can kick field goals.
I wasn't able to watch the game today, but the play-by-play looks pretty clear to me - Titans 4 tries 1 goal.

Goal kicking did not lose the game for us today, just did not clutch it out of the fire. But hard to be kicking sideline conversions to win games, only certain players can be relied on for that.

And to have a Pat Richards-type back, all the haters would be bemoaning his defence and ordinary finishing.
OK I actually watched the last 15 mins on replay now, didn't realise we had that penalty shot at the end. He really needed to sink that... I can understand missing a pressure kick, but there were 3 pressure kicks and you need to jag at least 1 of those.

fulleightyminutes
Member
Member
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:28 pm

Post by fulleightyminutes » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 9:04 pm

Why don't we go after Kerrod Holland at the Bulldogs. Am sure he can play wing.

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:21 pm

fulleightyminutes wrote:Why don't we go after Kerrod Holland at the Bulldogs. Am sure he can play wing.
I suggest this a few weeks ago good solid centre that kicks goals, go for him.

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:22 pm

TigerWoods wrote:Who's that big unit from the Roosters who can kick? He'd be good
Siosioa Taukeiaho

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2644
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:25 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:Our goal kicking wouldn't have mattered if the Titans kicked straight themselves. Still though, the two from out wide were tough. There was no excuse for the penalty kick though. It was kickable and just had to be made. You can't misd those and expect to make the finals.
A lot of our tries are scored out wide, so it is not going to be easy for whoever kicks goals for us.

Knuckles
Member
Member
Posts: 2797
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 10:11 am

Post by Knuckles » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:35 pm

It's a shame Taylor, who was an extremely good goal kicker, hasn't been able to pass on the knowledge to Rankin or Moses. Rankin should be goal kicker ... Moses has enough to do already.

tiga4eva
Member
Member
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 8:09 pm

Post by tiga4eva » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 10:46 pm

Tony the Tiger wrote:Moses had a shocker, threw an intercept pass, resulting in a try, kicked out on the full, missed tackles and missed goals. Too much pressure for the young bloke and getting caught up in the so called coaches politicking. Sooner we sack Taylor and get a real coach the better. :sign:
He wasn't under too much pressure last week vs the Premiers. Mate,he had a shocker,how that comes back to Taylor is ridiculous. By your reasoning,Taylor was a genius the last 3 weeks when Moses was on fire.

stevetiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5111
Joined: Mon 25 Feb, 2013 7:59 am

Post by stevetiger » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:00 pm

TigerWoods wrote:
stevetiger wrote:I don't see it as our biggest concern. If we can get a gun winger who is a great goal kicker as well then go for it. Otherwise Moses just needs to work on it.
Are you delusional? Goal kickers win games.
No I'm not delusional. I don't think goal kicking is why we lost that game.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22185
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:01 pm

Whose out there though? I've never known a club to sign a player purely for their goal kicking. Usually the goal kicking is an added bonus. Idk, who is out there that the club could afford that would fit into the category. The closest would have been Michael Gordon who would have made a good stop gap for a yr till we could find someone else.

There's nothing that save us this yr in regards to goal kicking. It's a part of our game we'll just have to carry with us like a bag of rocks for the next few weeks, then hopefully find a solution over the summer.

Sco77y
Member
Member
Posts: 789
Joined: Fri 12 Jul, 2013 2:22 pm

Post by Sco77y » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:29 pm

Yeah, you don't just sign a kicker - it's one of those things that usually just comes. We're really unlucky at the moment to have no one who can do it.. I think Moses will just have to keep working on it. I get the impression he wants to improve, really takes his time and focusses before he kicks, probably taking on a lot of advice but he just isn't any good.. He might improve, I don't know. The stats on Fox didn't look great today, he hasn't improved at all from his average - Career (64%) 2016 season (63%). If we end up signing someone who happens to be a decent kicker then great, otherwise we don't have too many more options.

TYGA
Member
Member
Posts: 2158
Joined: Sat 23 May, 2015 11:17 pm

Post by TYGA » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 11:39 pm

I am not sure what Moses goal kicking record was in NYC as he strikes the ball.
The wind was a nightmare out there today for goal kickers so I am not sure I would hang him on this performance.

Post Reply