Elijah Taylor credits Panthers pre-season as key for fitness improvement

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 86 times

Elijah Taylor credits Panthers pre-season as key for fitness improvement

Unread post by willow » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 8:37 am

Wests Tigers' Elijah Taylor credits gruelling Penrith Panthers pre-season as key for fitness improvement

Adam Pengilly

If Elijah Taylor comes back to bite the Panthers' finals aspirations with a crucial play at the death on Friday night, Penrith will only have themselves to blame.

Taylor will look around Pepper Stadium and think of sweltering summer days where, in black training kit no less, he slogged it out during pre-season.

All in the hope that when the season was on the line he would come up with a moment others couldn't.

"It was torture," Taylor smiled. "We just did time trials ... so much running. It's really showing why Penrith is such a fit team because of all the work we did in the pre-season.

"Physically it was very demanding, [but] I feel good having that done this pre-season."

But probably not as good as Tigers coach Jason Taylor does about another team pouring a pre-season into his mid-year recruit – and then coming back to potentially haunt their finals aspirations.

As far as end-of-season games go they don't come much bigger than the Panthers (seventh) and Tigers (10th) clash. Penrith can all but seal a top eight spot with a win. The Tigers can draw level with their western Sydney neighbours with an upset.

Taylor, unceremoniously shown the door by Penrith coach Anthony Griffin during the year, has already beaten his old club once as a Tiger.

Beat them again and the joint venture will fancy breaking their finals drought with games against the Warriors (away) and Raiders (home) to come.

"There's probably no emotions as I've already played them, but it will be different warming up knowing that stadium so well during the pre-season," Taylor said.

The 26-year-old former New Zealand international remains unsigned beyond this season having agreed to head to Concord on a short-term deal.

The prospect of being at a third club in the space of six months is an unappealing one – particularly given Taylor's flourishing combination with returning halfback Luke Brooks and five-eighth Mitchell Moses.

"If I can it would be cool [to stay]," he said. "I've settled in really well with the boys here – it's a good crew and a young crew – and there's a good culture. I'm playing with some exciting players.

"I'm trying my best to stay here and get some stability. We've got heaps of young boys coming through and I just have to focus on playing some consistent and good footy.

"Some of the stuff [the halves] do at training ... how do they do that? When you get up close and play with them you realise these players are elite players.

"These halves encourage me to get the ball, encourage me to hit them early, encourage me to hit them late. It gives me confidence because they're always confident. They've really helped my game grow and my confidence grow."​

hank37w
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by hank37w » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 11:00 am

Lets hope we can come up with the cash to keep him.

TopTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by TopTiger » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 11:52 am

Obvious that he wants to stay, just have to come up with a competitive offer, here's hoping that he stays!!

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 206 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 11:54 am

I'm sure he'd have signed elsewhere by now if he was leaving. It's obvious he and the club are trying to work out a deal.

TIGER
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:28 pm

Not being critical but I'd like to see more from ET offensively tonight, I think he's our key but things just aren't working around him lately IMO.

supercoach
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:36 pm

I just hope he is not d/h when Deano takes a break

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 4:38 pm

supercoach wrote:I just hope he is not d/h when Deano takes a break
It will be Rankin.

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 5:23 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
It will be Rankin.
I don't really like that idea, as we'll then be missing a fullback buzzing around supporting the halves through the middle - let alone acting as a 3rd playmaker when we're on the attack.
Wouldn't surprise me to see someone like Lovett pop in there.

Telltails
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 5:53 pm

ricksen wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
It will be Rankin.
I don't really like that idea, as we'll then be missing a fullback buzzing around supporting the halves through the middle - let alone acting as a 3rd playmaker when we're on the attack.

Cohesion - replace a dh with a dh ,- or rearrange a team and play players out of position to fill the dh???? Win lose or draw still not buying it.

Club Sandwich
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Club Sandwich » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 12:52 am

Telltails wrote:
ricksen wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
It will be Rankin.

Cohesion - replace a dh with a dh ,- or rearrange a team and play players out of position to fill the dh???? Win lose or draw still not buying it.
How about we do something crazy like, I don't know, play a recognised hooker at hooker?! I'm getting sick of all these position changes and they obviously are not working.
Pick a team with players playing where they are supposed to. Full stop.
Someone please get that through Jason Taylor's thick skull
Tigers tragic since 1980.

king sirro
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 7:45 am

Elijah Taylor had an impressive start to his wests tigers career, and whike his tackle count is high every week, it must be said he has been down right ordinary the past month. Has too many errors and misses in in him, lacks size, and at times is either lazy or not fit enough to do the exact job he is there to do, clean up.

We cant throw big money at this guy. I honestly think Siro could play his ball playing role and provide much more size.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

hobbo
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 97 times

Unread post by hobbo » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 8:44 am

Elijah Taylor looked gassed all night ...
He's good for 30 mins , then he's useless .
To much overhype with this player .
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

GNR4LIFE

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 9:00 am

He's still a key component for us going forward, but the hype around him has been ridiculous. The fact he came into the side just as we turned things around probably gave people an inflated belief that it was because of ET, when he was nothing more than a contributing factor.

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 9:19 am

He's being misused in attack IMO - too much ball playing at the moment.
He made 61 tackles last night.

Return to “Round 24: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”