Just out of curiosity....

TrueTiger

Just out of curiosity....

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:15 pm

Firstly,let's have a nice debate about what I'm about to suggest without name calling or garbage innuendos....here goes...

Admittedly Rankin has played in unfamiliar positions this year and many want him dropped,I say give him a chance in the halves with Brooks and put Moses at Fullback..
Moses is quite capable there and his defense if far better now than last year...
Rankin is an out and out half, playing out of position as mentioned...
Most will probably be negative to this but if we try something different without really interrupting the second tier cap what real harm would it do...and don't say our finals hopes...
It could prove whether Jordan can be competitive at half and Moses can show his versatility having worked with Teddy in attack..
This is only a suggestion and I would like your thoughts on this topic...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:21 pm

Not a bad idea. I'll go half way. We still obviously need Moses up the front in attack, as he is our main organiser, but he could play back in defence, maybe switch around a little with Rankin to get wide during the game.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:22 pm

Yeah when it was brought up when teddy was out earlier in the season and i liked it. Perhaps the same teams picked today but yeah Rankin and moses do the old switcharoo.
Nah hang on Jason Taylors our coach unless sandercock comes up with it.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:27 pm

I wouldn't disrupt Moses' game for the sake of Rankin. Moses is rapidly gaining confidence and control but he still has the occasional hero play in his repertoire. Id keep it nice and stable and play him where he is to continue his development.
"Quality Stupidity"

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:31 pm

NO..you don't weaken a strength to strengthen a weakness which would be further weakened by ....or something like that...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:35 pm

Have to agree with Nt and Geo no way would i weaken one position to strengthen another.This is something we continually do and it does not work

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:38 pm

Not a chance - we want Moses to have the ball as much as possible, not less.
Hunt is reportedly in the top 25, so it's an easy swap. Him into fullback, Rankin to reserves.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:43 pm

jadtiger wrote:Have to agree with Nt and Geo no way would i weaken one position to strengthen another.This is something we continually do and it does not work
How do you know you will weaken a position when Jordan hasn't had the chance to prove what he can do in the halves,after all Brooks hasn't been overly brilliant lately and maybe a change of partner at this level could work well,especially that it has been suggested that Brooks and Moses appear to play better when one is not there ....things change,the two halves have played a lot together in younger days however the step up has been huge and only now is Moses starting to get into the NRL structures and starting to control the games more and some have suggested that Brooks isn't as good as he was hyped up to be...

As I said it is a debate ,not the 3rd world war...

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:44 pm

There is nothing to gain by doing this positional change.....Moses is a 5/8th and nothing else , he has the hands and creative side of him to lead a team around the Park and in a few years will be Dynamite with the right Forward Pack in front of him .
A Fullback is a Chimer and a hole filler when an opportunity presents itself and this is where Moses will be wasted at the back with this experiment TT in my Opinion , Moses creates the Opportunities .

I think leave things as they are.....Mathematically we are still a chance but realistically we are gone.
If the combination between Brooks and Moses doesn't come to fruition by Mid next year we have to make the call on Brooks and let him go as we can't afford to pay big dollars for an inconsistent halfback on his next Contract .
We can get Jack Little John to do a job for us at a 1/4 of the price has a good kicking game and let Moses be the Main conductor .
As for Rankin he ain't a 1st Grader IMO .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:52 pm

No .... No matter what position Rankin plays in that position is weakened .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 4:56 pm

foreveratiger wrote:There is nothing to gain by doing this positional change.....Moses is a 5/8th and nothing else , he has the hands and creative side of him to lead a team around the Park and in a few years will be Dynamite with the right Forward Pack in front of him .
A Fullback is a Chimer and a hole filler when an opportunity presents itself and this is where Moses will be wasted at the back with this experiment TT in my Opinion , Moses creates the Opportunities .

I think leave things as they are.....Mathematically we are still a chance but realistically we are gone.
If the combination between Brooks and Moses doesn't come to fruition by Mid next year we have to make the call on Brooks and let him go as we can't afford to pay big dollars for an inconsistent halfback on his next Contract .
We can get Jack Little John to do a job for us at a 1/4 of the price has a good kicking game and let Moses be the Main conductor .
As for Rankin he ain't a 1st Grader IMO .
This is where it's going to get tricky.. I'd love for Brooks to really step up and for him to develop a strong partnership with Moses, but as yet we haven't seen that. I agree that we will have to make a call on this next season, and if the decision is to let Brooks go, I only worry that this will impact our chances of retaining Moses and maybe even Teddy. These 3 appear to want to stick together so I would hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect. If Brooks doesn't step up though, we can't afford to hang onto him for the money he will still probably be asking for.

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 6:16 pm

It's a no from me also. JT has already stated this is Moses' team now & he has taken it with both hands.

If Brooks wasn't available I'd consider Moses to 1/2 & Rankin 5/8, Hunt FB, etc. but I think we need to keep stability where possible.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 6:26 pm

I think our halves are the one part of the team we don't need to worry about. I wouldn't be moving them around to accommodate a player of rankins ability.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 7:04 pm

The player who has to justify his position is Brooks. There have been many on the forum saying for ages that we don't need Moses and Brooks, just one of them. In recent weeks Moses has made the 6 position his own.

I wonder how Brooks would go at 9. Passing game is fine, kicking game a natural, very fast for darting out of dummy half, gang tackling would come naturally, is actually very strong. Could be good, if the Coach could tolerate a Farah style 9 with options...

Then all we need is a goal kicking half, does JLJ kick goals, or there's Rankin...?
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Post by 851 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 7:21 pm

hobbo2803 wrote:No .... No matter what position Rankin plays in that position is weakened .
This is my view as well.
Go hard or go home

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 8:24 pm

Paris Cobbs wrote:The player who has to justify his position is Brooks. There have been many on the forum saying for ages that we don't need Moses and Brooks, just one of them. In recent weeks Moses has made the 6 position his own.

I wonder how Brooks would go at 9. Passing game is fine, kicking game a natural, very fast for darting out of dummy half, gang tackling would come naturally, is actually very strong. Could be good, if the Coach could tolerate a Farah style 9 with options...

Then all we need is a goal kicking half, does JLJ kick goals, or there's Rankin...?
It's an interesting suggesting - Brooks is arguably better defending front-on when players run straight at him. He certainly has the right type of build.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:36 pm

gallagher wrote:I think our halves are the one part of the team we don't need to worry about. I wouldn't be moving them around to accommodate a player of rankins ability.

And yet in the team v Warriors thread,everybody thinks Noofa at fullback is OK because he played there in his younger days,that's fine,however Jordan Rankin is a half and hasn't had the chance to play in the halves to show what he can do and is a condemned man because of a poor performance against the Panthers,and yet he has played reasonably well in unfamiliar positions prior.....some people just need to bag the hell out of a player because it suits their agendas..

I still think Jordan has been a very good utility recruit,a deadset tryer who gets unnecessary criticism for a poor performance when far bigger paid inexperienced young players do no wrong and have been tagged the future of this club,Moses is starting to get the drift of NRL,Brooks needs to lift his game,there are far better young guys performing better than him on much lesser paypackets,Cleary comes to mind,and look how quick he has taken to the big arena.....

Mashies

Post by Mashies » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:00 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:I think our halves are the one part of the team we don't need to worry about. I wouldn't be moving them around to accommodate a player of rankins ability.

And yet in the team v Warriors thread,everybody thinks Noofa at fullback is OK because he played there in his younger days,that's fine,however Jordan Rankin is a half and hasn't had the chance to play in the halves to show what he can do and is a condemned man because of a poor performance against the Panthers,and yet he has played reasonably well in unfamiliar positions prior.....some people just need to bag the hell out of a player because it suits their agendas..

I still think Jordan has been a very good utility recruit,a deadset tryer who gets unnecessary criticism for a poor performance when far bigger paid inexperienced young players do no wrong and have been tagged the future of this club,Moses is starting to get the drift of NRL,Brooks needs to lift his game,there are far better young guys performing better than him on much lesser paypackets,Cleary comes to mind,and look how quick he has taken to the big arena.....
Agreed regarding Rankin. Woukd be reluctant to split the halves at this stage, there are times where they don't seem to gel, but others where they work very well together.

Brooksy hasn't been terrible this year, think he is just shadowed a bit by Moses, plus is returning from injury, so may not have been at his best last week... I could name plenty of halbacks that we have had that were travelling worse than Brooksy... Aside from Prince, in recent times i can't think of any Tigers halves that were going better than him.