Bunker blues

LARDS

Re: Bunker blues

Post by LARDS » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 3:57 pm

The_Doc wrote:
sideline eye wrote:They wouldn't need any more cameras to rule on forward passes. All they need to do is superimpose a grid on the field and then see which way the ball goes on that grid. It could be done quickly and simply. Forward passes are a blight on the game as you just can't defend against them.
They should use the soccer model which shows offsides, the 10 yrd ring for free kicks both adequately could show the 10m rule, i agree its simple if they can do it in the A league premier league ect why cant the NRL do it :bash
Its not so simple as that.
You have to take into account the forward velocity of the player throwing the pass.
If he's running at full pelt a legal pass will travel forward with respect to the ground.
The best people to judge a forward pass is the touch judges who are running on the same line as the play.
I guess they could have cameras on each side that travel with the line of play, or just get the touchies to do their job.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 4:06 pm

LARDS wrote:
The_Doc wrote:
sideline eye wrote:They wouldn't need any more cameras to rule on forward passes. All they need to do is superimpose a grid on the field and then see which way the ball goes on that grid. It could be done quickly and simply. Forward passes are a blight on the game as you just can't defend against them.
They should use the soccer model which shows offsides, the 10 yrd ring for free kicks both adequately could show the 10m rule, i agree its simple if they can do it in the A league premier league ect why cant the NRL do it :bash
You have to take into account the forward velocity of the player throwing the pass.
If he's running at full pelt a legal pass will travel forward with respect to the ground.
The best people to judge a forward pass is the touch judges who are running on the same line as the play.
I guess they could have cameras on each side that travel with the line of play, or just get the touchies to do their job.
It is asking too much for officials to take into account the pace of the passer. A forward pass is a forward pass is a........

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 4:18 pm

Winnipeg wrote:The fox team (not the kiwi commentators who are always the worst) were acting like the two obstruction calls were the worst decisions in the history of the game. I thought they were both fair calls. You can't run around your own man... we get pinged for it all the time, even when a try isn't scored.

They were also acting like Woods is the first player in history to make contact and call for a penalty... it happens all the bloody time.
I agree. Both calls were possibly hard on the Warriors but hardly shockers.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 4:29 pm

Bottom line, if the calls went against us we would have these boards would be full of angry posters, but I guess at the end of the day the calls basically evened out, so the better team won

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 5:39 pm

there is always dispute over referees and or bunker decisions.
nothing has changed ,even with the advent of technology.

one call,from the referee,try or no try.
then get on with it.
simple.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 5:53 pm

So Archer had come out and said Solomon Katas try Shouldve been awarded.... Is this the one right on half time?
Last edited by innsaneink on Mon 29 Aug, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 5:54 pm

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-hq--referee-revi ... fault.aspx

Blah Blah Blah..dribble dribble meh...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 6:18 pm

LARDS wrote:
The_Doc wrote:
They can't even see when someone has their foot on the line.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 6:27 pm

Geo. wrote:http://www.nrl.com/nrl-hq--referee-revi ... fault.aspx

Blah Blah Blah..dribble dribble meh...
They didn't have the guts to say that Manu's rake back lead to a try.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 6:39 pm

sideline eye wrote:
LARDS wrote:
The_Doc wrote:
It is asking too much for officials to take into account the pace of the passer. A forward pass is a forward pass is a........
ummm... no its not?

check the definition of a forward pass first

''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 6:43 pm

innsaneink wrote:So Archer had come out and said Solomon Katas try Shouldve been awarded.... Is this the one right on half time?
yeah thats it

a bit 50/50. can see it going both ways, but makes sense what he said. in SJ's try he ran directly through the whole created by aaron woods being unable to see and move towards SJ while impeded. in kata's try, rankin being impeded didnt really have any effect on anything to be honest
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:00 am

I listened to the Archer interview and he claimed (I'm not quoting just paraphrasing) that after the Obstruction other players had the opportunity to make the tackle and that the try was on the other side of the park?????

This is only the case because the warriors player used his team mate to gain an advantage. It shouldn't matter what happens after the event. What matters is that the player JR at that point in time was denied an opportunity to make the tackle Full Stop. it doesn't matter if he would have or wouldn't have, it doesn't matter who else had the opportunity to make the tackle and it doesn't matter where the try was scored.

Archer says "he runs behind a team mate" thats a shepherd. What happens after and where the try is scored has no baring this is why the NRL struggle with rulings!!

SO if i hold up a bank and get no money and hurt nobody, then have I really committed a crime??

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:06 am

Yeah his position seemed to be you can use an obstruction to create an advantage so long as the resulting try is sufficiently far enough away. Next week he'll explain why you can knock the ball on if the defensive team has enough time to regroup.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:20 am

Quite a good discussion regarding the bunker...I think as others on here that there was some bad calls ,however they did even out and maybe the refs can scrutinise the rules a bit more...

On another note in this regard,the thing that really s"*ts me,is when an attacking team have momentum up the middle and are making plenty of yards,there are the FLAT PASSES from dummy half that are blatantly forward and its not acted upon,this gives the attacking team heaps of go forward and positional play, this is the area I think VRs show be aloud to intervene...just my opinion but a thought anyway....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Juro

Post by Juro » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:28 am

My preferred solution is to have sensors in all players' boots as well as the ball. These sensors would send signals to the computer to plot where all players are at all times during the game. Vatuvei's foot on the sideline would immediately be spotted. Players being offside would automatically be spotted. With enough programming, you'd be able to tell whether a pass was forward, taking into account the speed of the player running.

We need as much automated refereeing as possible, because the humans we are using at the moment are not working!
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Juro

Post by Juro » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:36 am

pHyR3 wrote:
sideline eye wrote:
LARDS wrote:
The_Doc wrote:
ummm... no its not?

That video is for union, not league. Are the rules the same?
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:42 am

Juro wrote:My preferred solution is to have sensors in all players' boots as well as the ball. These sensors would send signals to the computer to plot where all players are at all times during the game. Vatuvei's foot on the sideline would immediately be spotted. Players being offside would automatically be spotted. With enough programming, you'd be able to tell whether a pass was forward, taking into account the speed of the player running.

We need as much automated refereeing as possible, because the humans we are using at the moment are not working!
Yep with advances in technology this is certainly something that should be looked at.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 1:44 pm

Juro wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
sideline eye wrote:
LARDS wrote: Its not so simple as that.
ummm... no its not?

That video is for union, not league. Are the rules the same?
yes, unless you think the passes in the video (including passing behind your head) were forward
Last edited by pHyR3 on Tue 30 Aug, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.