Woods on drip ...

Geo.

Woods on drip ...

Post by Geo. » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 8:23 pm

Aaron Woods on drip as virus flattens Wests Tigers before Canberra Raiders clash

Michael Chammas

Wests Tigers captain Aaron Woods is bed-ridden on a drip and racing the clock to play in what looms as the Wests Tigers' biggest game in five years.

The club has been rocked by a virus that has swept across the team and left its captain, who has been quarantined from the rest of the team, recovering at home after being rattled by the illness he picked up in New Zealand over the weekend.

Tigers hooker Dene Halatau is also battling the effects of the virus that was passed on by forward Kyle Lovett, who was a late withdrawal from last week's victory over the Warriors in Auckland.

Woods, a notable omission from training on Wednesday, is racing the clock to overcome the illness that has left him feeling weak and sore in time for what could be a do-or-die blockbuster showdown against the Raiders at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

"We've had it going through the group for a little bit now," Tigers coach Jason Taylor told Fairfax Media.

"We had a couple struggling with it prior to the Penrith game and a couple prior to last week's game. Now we have a couple more again. But the beauty of this a little bit is it's happened early in the week.

"We're definitely hoping to get them back to training at the end of the week and confident they'll be right for the game."

While Lovett was forced to withdraw from the match against the Warriors because of the illness, back-rower Curtis Sironen was limited to just five minutes off the bench as he battled the virus from the sidelines.

It was the inspired performance of Woods against the Warriors that has ensured the Tigers are still alive heading into the final round, however they require the Cowboys to beat the Titans on Saturday if their clash against Canberra is to count for anything.

Fullback James Tedesco did some non-contact work with the team during Wednesday's session, however he isn't expected to play until at least the first week of the finals if the Tigers manage to scrape into the top eight.

Tedesco was originally expected to be unavailable until the second week of the finals after breaking his jaw a fortnight ago in a tackle from Titans prop Ryan James, but club officials are holding out hope of their fullback could be available if they book a passage into the opening week of the finals series.

A large reason for the Tigers' success over the past six weeks has been the form of five-eighth Mitchell Moses, who has been the club's best player over that period.

"He's been outstanding over the past few weeks," halfback Luke Brooks said. "He has really taken control of the team and really become a leader both on and off the field. That brings a bit of confidence and you can see on the field how much confidence he has got.

"Growing up playing with him I've seen this before so it's no surprise to me. But when he has a lot of confidence he's really on. He's been taking on the line a lot, and that's a good sign for him."

If the Titans lose and the Tigers can upset the high-flying Raiders, they'll sneak into the finals after another drama-packed season both on and off the field.

But if they don't play finals football, Brooks believes the season will go down as a failure.

"At the start of the year we had a goal to make the top eight," Brooks said.

"If we don't do that, I guess we've failed. In saying that we have made a lot of progress in the way we play and we've come a long way. We want to keep building on it whether we make the finals or not. But we definitely do want to make the finals."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... r5p1o.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 8:29 pm

Good one Kyle...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 8:32 pm

I've had the flu since election day... Bloody viruses everywhere

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 8:42 pm

Nelson wrote:Good one Kyle...
Robbie was first to miss games with the virus. He has ruined our season

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 8:43 pm

The comment from brooks just underlines Moses should be wearing the 7 shirt.....it will be his team next year and should be the halfback.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 8:50 pm

maxxy86 wrote:The comment from brooks just underlines Moses should be wearing the 7 shirt.....it will be his team next year and should be the halfback.
Yeah that comment stood out for me too.. Not a very positive attitude. Brooks isn't the best in front of the media though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just said some of that stuff for the sake of it, without really thinking.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 9:08 pm

maxxy86 wrote:The comment from brooks just underlines Moses should be wearing the 7 shirt.....it will be his team next year and should be the halfback.
Does the number matter? I think it's s good thing that one has emerged as the dominant halve with the other looking comfortable in the 'support' role.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 9:23 pm

gallagher wrote:
Does the number matter? I think it's s good thing that one has emerged as the dominant halve with the other looking comfortable in the 'support' role.
Yeah think it does, your 7 is the go to man he's the general but he is also the fall guy if things aren't going that good.
There has been the occasional 6 that's the general but many more are the 7.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

tigers2005

Post by tigers2005 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 9:27 pm

Intersting though that the virus is still spreading with robbie not around lol.

tigers2005

Post by tigers2005 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 9:29 pm

maxxy86 wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Yeah think it does, your 7 is the go to man he's the general but he is also the fall guy if things aren't going that good.
There has been the occasional 6 that's the general but many more are the 7.
I agree the half runs the team , and Moses has stood up when needed most. Hed be my number 7 next year and if brooks doesnt stand up id give hunt a go at 6.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 10:21 pm

Oh just great! Having to be put on a drip is not a good thing, believe me - thanks for sharing Kyle :roll:

At least now we know the answer as to why Curtis was only given a 5 minute stint last week. Thank God because I thought JT was channeling Sheens there for a while!
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 10:56 pm

Playing "Ookie Mouth" again?
Just because it's soap doesn't mean it's clean.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 11:34 pm

Hope Woods and those ill get well soon!

I think having played together for a while they would know each other's game well. So when ones on, the other sits back and picks his moments. Number on the back shouldn't matter but it has meaning. They often play different sides of the ruck anyway.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 11:45 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Yeah that comment stood out for me too.. Not a very positive attitude. Brooks isn't the best in front of the media though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just said some of that stuff for the sake of it, without really thinking.
whats wrong with the comment?

any season is a failure if you dont make the 8

edit: sorry, you meant the comment about moses. dont see much of an issue there either - he's just complimenting a mate in good form. brooks hasnt come back well from his knee, i think its still niggling. before then he was among the top 5 playesr in the NRL for try assists and LBA. And scored a fair few tries too. not amazing form, but still solid
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 12:08 am

Imagine if we have no Woods, no Farah, no Tedesco and still win...

Would be a turning point in the club's history I reckon.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 8:17 am

MacDougall wrote:Imagine if we have no Woods, no Farah, no Tedesco and still win...

Would be a turning point in the club's history I reckon.
if they can win I will sign up first thing Monday
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 8:36 am

I just don't think the number on the back matters anymore. Lockyer wore 6. Thurston wore it for years. They were still in charge.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 8:44 am

Masterton wrote:
I just don't think the number on the back matters anymore. Lockyer wore 6. Thurston wore it for years. They were still in charge.
Fittler