Regardless the Outcome,

Doc Tiger

Re: Regardless the Outcome,

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 5:03 pm

SouthTiger wrote:So if missing out on 8 is a failure does that mean we can get rid of the coach if we miss out on the 8 this weekend ???
:brick: :brick: :brick:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 5:10 pm

To be still alive at round 26 is terrific.... Yes, that may be mediocre.
It's also been a long time between drinks

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 5:43 pm

As long as we dont go out with a whimper.
A strong showing will fill me with some optimism.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 5:48 pm

stryker wrote:Yes and no. I thought we'd make the 8 pre season so I'm not totally thrilled with the year. A great back third to the year has been a good ride but don't forget the aweful first 2 thirds.

We have finished the season strong so that has been encouraging though...
Stryker, youre a better man than 99.9% of supporters and pundits, because i dont know of a single person, one eyed supporter or outsider, that had us making the 8 at the start of the year.

Hopeful? Of course! But realistically. Nope.

I think we have overachieved given the year if we drop in the 8. I think we are on par if we finish 9th,
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 7:59 pm

Swordy wrote:
stryker wrote:Yes and no. I thought we'd make the 8 pre season so I'm not totally thrilled with the year. A great back third to the year has been a good ride but don't forget the aweful first 2 thirds.

We have finished the season strong so that has been encouraging though...
Stryker, youre a better man than 99.9% of supporters and pundits, because i dont know of a single person, one eyed supporter or outsider, that had us making the 8 at the start of the year.

Hopeful? Of course! But realistically. Nope.

I think we have overachieved given the year if we drop in the 8. I think we are on par if we finish 9th,
There was actually a small handful on this forum who did. It was most likely hopeful but...we have a talented squad who were only going to improve over the off season. It was about time the halves stood up and with the stalwarts playing top footy, helping with the newer blokes, I seriously thought top 8 was a lock.

Our lack of progression in setting up the structured defence and the inability to replace the goal kicker cost us.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 9:28 pm

I had us in the top half. I actually think we will be top 4 next year.

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 9:51 pm

So if we make the 8 does JT get any credit ? ,we are two centres and two good forwards short of a top first grade squad ,tim grant is just a first grader ,he hasn't hit the heights that gave him his origin start.factor in a few losses by a point and losing to the worst side in the comp , then maybe we should be in the top 8 easily
Last edited by 1/4 chicken,chips on Thu 01 Sep, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vlad

Post by vlad » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 9:51 pm

SouthTiger wrote:So if missing out on 8 is a failure does that mean we can get rid of the coach if we miss out on the 8 this weekend ???
Congratulations on joining the forum & making your first post so positive .

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 10:10 pm

1/4 chicken,chips wrote:So if we make the 8 does JT get any credit ? ,we are two centres and two good forwards short of a top first grade squad ,tim grant is just a first grader ,he hasn't hit the heights that gave him his origin start.factor in a few losses by a point and losing to the worst side in the comp , then maybe we should be in the top 8 easily
I think JT copped plenty for his part in the team saga, I for one wasn't happy with some of the calls. I think the credit goes mostly to the players, especially those that have really stood up! But you can't ignore that he has had a part in the success, by hook or by crook well done to him as well!

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Thu 01 Sep, 2016 11:33 pm

innsaneink wrote:To be still alive at round 26 is terrific.... Yes, that may be mediocre.
It's also been a long time between drinks
Absolutely. Sunday will be our biggest game in years, and it's great to feel this excitement again. When you consider where we were last time we played Canberra, it's a great turnaround.
I do hope that the club does view it as a failure though - in that we still need to shift some deadwood and improve the squad if we want to be a real force next season.

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Fri 02 Sep, 2016 6:09 am

Most here had us battling for the wooden spoon based on the fact that we had a weaker squad than 2015 given our losses vs our gains. What they missed is that our squad had much natural improvement. I think I did the sums that over 80% of our squad had great potential for improvement. I think the only player that has regressed that I expected improvement from was sirro.

Plus we got good value from our recruits aioli, grant, ranki, jac, Edwards.

Given the obvious holes in our squad, it has done a great job in getting us to the brink of the 8.

Where are the naysayers and death riders? Too big to admit they got it wrong?

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 02 Sep, 2016 9:21 am

I honestly think Sundays game might be a bit of a let down,and i am not expecting a win,and yes it would be great to make the final series for a change. I know I am sounding a bit like Taylor, but my bench mark is not 8th position on the table after 26 rounds, its more about where we have come from and where we are now at. In the past you would give us fifty one to beat most top four sides, this year we have held our own against all them on at least one occasion except the raiders and we can add them to the list on Sunday.

What I do like is there is plenty of room for improvement and the gap between the good games and the bad games is narrowing. Taylor and his coaching team along with the players have done a very good job and once again special mention to the strength and condition department, we have had another very good run touch wood on the injury front, they have certainly turned things around from a couple of years ago.

I am optimistic things will really happen next year, but the NRL is a funny game, take the Chooks,Manly and Souths this year, just when you think things are going to fire it all goes pear shape

krayola

Post by krayola » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 1:03 pm

matchball wrote:If Brooks sees it as failure then he needs to quit disappearing when the game gets tough. Sometimes I need to check if he is still out there.
Yeah that 40/20 he kicked to start our comeback last week was soft. And that try he scored to finish off Newcastle was weak. He should be dominating the game by the age he's 22 or 23. Hopeless player :roll:
One of my sources is Pascoe

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Sat 03 Sep, 2016 8:49 pm

supercoach wrote:I honestly think Sundays game might be a bit of a let down,and i am not expecting a win,and yes it would be great to make the final series for a change. I know I am sounding a bit like Taylor, but my bench mark is not 8th position on the table after 26 rounds, its more about where we have come from and where we are now at. In the past you would give us fifty one to beat most top four sides, this year we have held our own against all them on at least one occasion except the raiders and we can add them to the list on Sunday.

What I do like is there is plenty of room for improvement and the gap between the good games and the bad games is narrowing. Taylor and his coaching team along with the players have done a very good job and once again special mention to the strength and condition department, we have had another very good run touch wood on the injury front, they have certainly turned things around from a couple of years ago.

I am optimistic things will really happen next year, but the NRL is a funny game, take the Chooks,Manly and Souths this year, just when you think things are going to fire it all goes pear shape
I agree. By accident or by design, the team has learnt some things this year and gained valuable experience.

This weekend is sudden death finals experience - the pressure is on. Win or season over. You can't buy that for your team.

Secondly, we now know what it takes to put in for a full 80 minutes and never give up. These things are going to help us next year.

I think we'll get rolled tomorrow unless Canberra have an off day, but even if we do, I like where we're at as a club at the moment.