Size and Power

Eddie

Size and Power

Post by Eddie » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 8:24 pm

Might be being captain obvious Its need to be somewhat of a priority on recruitment.

Ricky, has done a master job there in recruitment.

His side is intimidating, swift and powerful. Theyhave some giants but they have skill.

I was watching the 2 teams warm up today and said have a look at the difference between us and them.

On one flank we had Rankin, Kev and Moses paired next to Aolia. Just no fear factor. They terrorised that side.

They had Lee, Papali, Croker and some omonsters rolling through the middle.

Canberra bullied us and I think they knew they could bully us.

It actually looked like an Under 20s Mismatch, where you go this team is just miles bigger and stronger.

Maybe some one will tell me that is not the case and its just the way he played.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 9:22 pm

Yes but I'd like to see Raiders run around by a better side. Warriors have a huge team too, but they have so many errors in them that they invite teams into the game.

Raiders are a team brimming full of confidence and low error rate - something like 87% completions today.

I think big teams can be well beaten, but when they are in form we are definitely going to struggle as a smaller side.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 9:23 pm

Fair Point.

Its just rare I see 2 teams run out and I thought we have no chance today.

I never think that when we play Melbourne or Brisbane or NQ

stevied

Post by stevied » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 11:57 pm

It's obvious that we are lacking in the forward size and mongrel department.

Champs05

Post by Champs05 » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 2:22 am

stevied wrote:It's obvious that we are lacking in the forward size and mongrel department.
I have said this for 2 years. We cannot compete for 26 weeks with this small side. The big teams are all n the eight. We need some big forwards & backs with size & ticker. Otherwise we will never be competitive.

stevied

Post by stevied » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 5:06 am

Yes, I think players like Boyd and Papali quite literally smile and lick their lips at the thought of playing us. It's hard to see us competing with the Raiders until we can match, not only their size, but also their psychological edge. Right now, they probably circle games against us on their schedule as an easy two points.....

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 7:50 am

Every team can carry a couple of small players but the rest have to be big strong and powerful. Moses and Brooks cop a lot of flak for their defence,but nobody their size is going to stop one of the Raiders big boppers powering at them close to the line.

We have the skill factor with Moses and Tedesco, but we have to surround them with some big frames.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 1:35 pm

Eddie wrote:Fair Point.

Its just rare I see 2 teams run out and I thought we have no chance today.

I never think that when we play Melbourne or Brisbane or NQ
Melbourne are just as big tbh - guys like McLean and NAS are up there with Boyd and co.
We can't match these guys through the middle, so need to work on a different gameplan to negate their strengths. Brisbane shifted the ball often and early against the Storm last week and had great success.
Obviously it's a different story with the Raiders given their backs are very handy too.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 2:06 pm

We didn't lose because they were bigger, we lost because our completion rate was dreadful and our defense wasn't good enough to cover that up. The Dogs have a massive pack and wr handled them. Ditto the Cowboys. Not that I'd object to some more size though.

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 11:42 pm

2 centres who can FKN tackle

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 11:56 pm

Yossarian wrote:We didn't lose because they were bigger, we lost because our completion rate was dreadful and our defense wasn't good enough to cover that up. The Dogs have a massive pack and wr handled them. Ditto the Cowboys. Not that I'd object to some more size though.
we beaten Souths twice, and they have big forwards, go figure.
Yesterday we had no energy, made too many errors, defence was awful. Is it flu (at least Woods and Taylor have a very good excuse) or ...

As some people said after our wins against Donkeys and Cowgirls, we won just because they had an off day. We can now just reply the same story. :D

Champs05

Post by Champs05 » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 2:31 am

supercoach wrote:Every team can carry a couple of small players but the rest have to be big strong and powerful. Moses and Brooks cop a lot of flak for their defence,but nobody their size is going to stop one of the Raiders big boppers powering at them close to the line.

We have the skill factor with Moses and Tedesco, but we have to surround them with some big frames.
Spot on Supercoach. It's not rocket science.This is a different era. All players are bigger,stronger,faster and fitter.We have skilled players in Moses & Tedesco but need the big boppers if we are compete for 26 weeks. Sure we get up for the odd game against big sides, but we only beat a top 8 side 3 times this year. We did better on the table because parra docked points,souths & easts had indifferent seasons ( which won't happen again). Otherwise we would have come13 or 14 as usual. The coach is not the main problem ( even though i'm not a fan of his). We need to get him some cattle and then assess his ablity.

Snake

Post by Snake » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 6:59 am

Champs05 wrote:
supercoach wrote:Every team can carry a couple of small players but the rest have to be big strong and powerful. Moses and Brooks cop a lot of flak for their defence,but nobody their size is going to stop one of the Raiders big boppers powering at them close to the line.

Spot on Supercoach. It's not rocket science.This is a different era. All players are bigger,stronger,faster and fitter.We have skilled players in Moses & Tedesco but need the big boppers if we are compete for 26 weeks. Sure we get up for the odd game against big sides, but we only beat a top 8 side 3 times this year. We did better on the table because parra docked points,souths & easts had indifferent seasons ( which won't happen again). Otherwise we would have come13 or 14 as usual. The coach is not the main problem ( even though i'm not a fan of his). We need to get him some cattle and then assess his ablity.
Commonsense is starting to filter through the forum after this season ,give the coach some cattle to work with a couple of big and hard men to compliment the talent.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 7:27 am

On our day when all the stars are aligned and the Raiders are slightly off their game and we complete at 85% and get more than our fair share of 50/50 calls we could beat them...but 99% we would get a touch up, the old story to big to strong.

Early season your a chance, but mid to late season when a team like the Raiders have ran into match fitness your no chance. Of course in saying the above, there is no disgrace in been beaten by the raiders, they are a really good side.

If we are going to be anywhere near the 8 next year we have to get some grunt into the team, both in the back row and out wide. Not sure how you do it with no cap space but I guess some horse trading might help

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 8:18 am

Tigertigertiger wrote:2 centres who can FKN tackle
Yeah, this is where we need size. Skill not really required just a big straight running guy like SKD.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 8:43 am

Size and power are important however, if you look at the games we have won or were competitive our completion rate is high. At times we turn over ball in crucial stages of a game or when we are trying to mount pressure. That is a killer.

In 2005 we didn't have the biggest pack, we had a great scrambling defence, higher completion rates, some luck and a fair bit of x-factor. We played the game fast and up the middle and then went wide. We subsequently lost the x- factor cause teams were ready for it in the following years and our handling went south.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 8:44 am

Oh size and power don't mean a thing if you can't defend!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 10:35 am

We need size and power in our backs. Teams with massive backs tend to run right over the top of us. Collectively our defence isn't good enough. Individually our defence against big guys isn't good enough. Lulia would walk through our defence 8/10 times. Stopping an opponent with an extra 20kgs is too much, most of the time, but especially when you're one on one with him.

Our outside backs get smashed against opponents who are big, fast and strong. We need players like that but unfortunately we don't have anyone like that coming through the ranks. We need to recruit these players.

Our pack can hold it's own when it's switched on. It wasn't yesterday but we've held big packs before. Some big back rowers will help.

In the end it's not just size which is key, you need skillful big guys who can defend. They exist, we just don't have any of them.