Ava
MCK
Liddle
Paseka
Marsters
Sue
Naiqama
Mapesone

And a couple of outside backs we can pluck from somewhere. We really don't have any good young outside backs pushing for a spot in first grade which is a real shame seeing it's such a weak spot for us. Unless we go for those with only a couple of NYC games. We still don't really have a backline in NSW cup which is a huge problem. Unless there are some quality blokes signed without being made public.

Post by 2041 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:27 am

I don't say this often, but I absolutely agree with Taylor on this. If it was useful pre-season training it might be different but coaches across the comp obviously believe it's not a helpful fit with their programmes. It's all well and good us armchair coaches saying players would "benefit from the run", but pre-season is (or ought to be) a lot more structured nowadays than a few beach runs, some strength work and end with a couple of hit outs.

What's interesting is the way this suggests, once more, that Brooks might be somewhat out of favour. From what I understand clubs are obliged to send a certain number of their 'star' players, as determined by cap use. Clubs tend to send their most expendable well-paid players - like we have in the past with Lawrence. Obviously it's Brooks who fills the "well we're paying you too much but at least that means you count for this" role in 2017.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:40 am

I would bite the bullet and pick the best available. Big money up for grabs and we need all the money we get our hands on. As for injuries, they can happen at training, at home anywhere. I also think it may give the club a lift. Okay it is a mickey mouse event, but give the sponsors and the fans a positive note to start the year

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 10:48 am

Harvey wrote:A lot of other clubs have invited former player to lace on the boots one more time. It would be good to se the tigers do the same, just not sure who it could be. Fitzhenry, Cashmere, Jason Taylor
Jason Moodie, third time lucky.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:21 am

:(
supercoach wrote:I would bite the bullet and pick the best available. Big money up for grabs and we need all the money we get our hands on. As for injuries, they can happen at training, at home anywhere. I also think it may give the club a lift. Okay it is a mickey mouse event, but give the sponsors and the fans a positive note to start the year
I agree.
It's a mickey mouse comp because the clubs generally don't send their stars. If all the big names went it would attract bigger crowds and more sponsors making it a bigger event. That would bring in more money for the clubs and players.
Rugby league bosses don't understand that they are in the entertainment business. its a very narrow minded sport.

Post by 2041 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:02 pm

gallagher wrote::(
supercoach wrote:I would bite the bullet and pick the best available. Big money up for grabs and we need all the money we get our hands on. As for injuries, they can happen at training, at home anywhere. I also think it may give the club a lift. Okay it is a mickey mouse event, but give the sponsors and the fans a positive note to start the year
I agree.
It's a mickey mouse comp because the clubs generally don't send their stars. If all the big names went it would attract bigger crowds and more sponsors making it a bigger event. That would bring in more money for the clubs and players.
Rugby league bosses don't understand that they are in the entertainment business. its a very narrow minded sport.
There is a limit to the amount first-grade players can play at top level without losing effectiveness or having too many of them get injured. Pre-season is all about getting players ready for the demands of a long, gruelling season ahead. It's narrow minded of fans to expect star players to be available to fulfill any whim of the scheduling calendar.

Personally I feel the nines is about as good a compromise as it can be. Coaches and most clubs would probably rather it didn't exist at all, the organisers and media would like more stars to take part. Players, I imagine, are largely indifferent. In the end we get a watered down comp which, after several months of no football, is just about diverting enough to keep some of us interested. That's about as good as it's going to get.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:05 pm

We need the treat this comp with some respect

This team needs learn how to win semis and finals , only way you can experience that is by doing it

Disagree with Taylor , take 100 % fit squad over and try and win the damn thing , confidence is an amazing thing

Remind me , what did we win a year before we won the 2005 premiership ....

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:16 pm

happy tiger wrote:We need the treat this comp with some respect

This team needs learn how to win semis and finals , only way you can experience that is by doing it

Disagree with Taylor , take 100 % fit squad over and try and win the damn thing , confidence is an amazing thing

A chook raffle?

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:20 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:

A chook raffle?
A meat tray?

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:41 pm

2041 wrote:
I agree.
There is a limit to the amount first-grade players can play at top level without losing effectiveness or having too many of them get injured. Pre-season is all about getting players ready for the demands of a long, gruelling season ahead. It's narrow minded of fans to expect star players to be available to fulfill any whim of the scheduling calendar.

Personally I feel the nines is about as good a compromise as it can be. Coaches and most clubs would probably rather it didn't exist at all, the organisers and media would like more stars to take part. Players, I imagine, are largely indifferent. In the end we get a watered down comp which, after several months of no football, is just about diverting enough to keep some of us interested. That's about as good as it's going to get.
I disagree, rhe nines is not really grueling work.
Last edited by gallagher on Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm not fussed. Its narrow minded to think we're the only club who doesn't take a full strength squad. I don't think the Broncos, Storm or Bulldogs have ever taken a full strength squad. I know its cliche but if Tedesco or Moses did an ACL there would be threads on here outlining plans for riots. Come round 10 if we are in the 8 is anyone going to remember the 9's? Look at the bigger picture.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:53 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:Brooks
Simona
Heleta
Lawrence
ET
Ava
MCK
Liddle
Paseka
Marsters
Sue
Naiqama
Mapesone

And a couple of outside backs we can pluck from somewhere. We really don't have any good young outside backs pushing for a spot in first grade which is a real shame seeing it's such a weak spot for us. Unless we go for those with only a couple of NYC games. We still don't really have a backline in NSW cup which is a huge problem. Unless there are some quality blokes signed without being made public.
1. Justin Hunt
2. Ryan Papenhuyzen (see how he goes)
3. Ryland Jacobs
4. Watson Heleta
5. Jordan Rankin
6. Veiru Mapesone
7. Jeremy Marshall-King

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm

Squad named Saturday at Members Party Launch...so we don't have long to wait..

You have to forgive happy once again he's having memory issues...World Club 7's and still reigning champions...that squad was made up of talented youngsters and a few journeymen..When Fitzy was king...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

greatodensraven

Post by greatodensraven » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 1:13 pm

I agree. Having a run before the season starts is great but more importantly its the mental side of learning how to win (any competition) & taking confidence from that into the season proper. Lets face it, injuries can happen at training so that shouldn't be a deterrent to sending a strong squad although I'd also like to see a mix of younger players who are looking for an opportunity to impress.

Bottom line, we should be looking to win any comp we enter.

Post by 2041 » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 1:38 pm

gallagher wrote:
2041 wrote:
I agree.

I disagree, rhe nines is not really grueling work.
On one side there's you, who asserts that the nines is easy work and everyone should send full-strength squads. On the other there is basically every NRL coach, who believe it's unhelpful for full-season preparation. I know who I'm going to believe.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 1:52 pm

"Winning doesn't matter" Jason Taylor

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 2:26 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:

A chook raffle?
A meat tray?
2004 7's another tournament everyone thought was a waste of time also

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 2:40 pm

Nelson wrote:
Balmain Boy wrote:Brooks
Simona
Heleta
Lawrence
ET
Ava
MCK
Liddle
Paseka
Marsters
Sue
Naiqama
Mapesone

1. Justin Hunt
2. Ryan Papenhuyzen (see how he goes)
3. Ryland Jacobs
4. Watson Heleta
5. Jordan Rankin
6. Veiru Mapesone
7. Jeremy Marshall-King

In terms of blooding youngsters you'd say Jacobs is the only one i didn't mention with a shot. He's never filled me with much confidence, but see how he goes. Pap has only played like 6 NYC games so can't see him being thrown in. Rankin may get a gig in the 9's as a wing/utility/kicker i guess too