LIVE 9's Thread*

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
User avatar
Flippedy
Member
Member
Posts: 7913
Joined: Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:58 pm
Location: Central Coast NSW

Re: LIVE 9's Thread*

Post by Flippedy » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 9:04 pm

Harvey wrote:Funny we are not the only fans firing up about the lack of commitment and respect. Doggies fans are asking why they should bother bidding for nines jerseys (they are being auctioned) when they sent no names, and the big names sent (Klemmer & Reynolds) did not take the field at all on day 1.

I guess that's why the Bulldogs and Wests Tigers have the worst and second worst records in the 9's respectively. Can't expect to be successful if you don't take it seriously.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen


User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2532
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 9:09 pm

Geo. wrote:INJURY UPDATE
Some injuries occurred over the weekend but the extent of which is unclear at the moment. Aaron Gray seems the biggest casualty.
Benji Marshall - achilles (Broncos)
Jarryd Hayne - knee (Titans)
Pita Godinet - concussion (Sea Eagles)
Dylan Walker - calf - (Sea Eagles)
Cameron Munster - neck - (Storm)
Shaun Johnson - groin - (Warriors)
Justin O'Neill - nose - (Cowboys)
Shaun Hudson - leg - (Cowboys)
Corey Norman - hamstring - (Eels)
Kenny Edwards - calf - (Eels)
Matt Dufty - hyper-extended knee - (Dragons)
Patrick Herbert - foot - (Dragons)
Aaron Gray - Knee - (Rabbits) - expected to be out eight weeks
Brent Naden - knee - (Rabbits)
Paul Carter - ankle - (Roosters)
Kezzie Apps - lower leg injury - (Jillaroos)
Kahurangi Peters - ruptured achilles tendon - (Ferns) - surgery
Lanulangi Veainu - concussion - (Ferns)
Krystal Rota broken hand - (Ferns)

Wests Tigers - Zero...woot...
Sounds like we won the 9s.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29642
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 9:11 pm

Nelson wrote:
Geo. wrote:INJURY UPDATE
Some injuries occurred over the weekend but the extent of which is unclear at the moment. Aaron Gray seems the biggest casualty.
Benji Marshall - achilles (Broncos)
Jarryd Hayne - knee (Titans)
Pita Godinet - concussion (Sea Eagles)
Dylan Walker - calf - (Sea Eagles)
Cameron Munster - neck - (Storm)
Shaun Johnson - groin - (Warriors)
Justin O'Neill - nose - (Cowboys)
Shaun Hudson - leg - (Cowboys)
Corey Norman - hamstring - (Eels)
Kenny Edwards - calf - (Eels)
Matt Dufty - hyper-extended knee - (Dragons)
Patrick Herbert - foot - (Dragons)
Aaron Gray - Knee - (Rabbits) - expected to be out eight weeks
Brent Naden - knee - (Rabbits)
Paul Carter - ankle - (Roosters)
Kezzie Apps - lower leg injury - (Jillaroos)
Kahurangi Peters - ruptured achilles tendon - (Ferns) - surgery
Lanulangi Veainu - concussion - (Ferns)
Krystal Rota broken hand - (Ferns)

Wests Tigers - Zero...woot...
Some on here should be asking for refunds on their Jordan Rankin voodoo dolls...
lol I was going to add Rankin - Knife Wounds in the back but thought better of it...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Nucky Thompson
Member
Member
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:08 pm

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:33 pm

stryker wrote:
Nucky Thompson wrote:Perhaps. but we can say the negative Nancy s were out in full force . They were very upset.

foreveratiger wrote:
Nucky Thompson wrote:Are the nay Sayers going to comment on Brooks kicking game against Brisbane?
bahahaha!!!!
If a halfback can't get a kicking game right in a 9's format his got no hope , you have open space everywhere and if you kick early just like the Panthers did to Parra and have pace ? it becomes a foot race like when Blake beat French for pace in the semis .

So Brooks is in for a big year ? :lol: can't wait his finally going to give some value back to the Club on a consistent basis .
If he played crap the last game ? the Brooks lovers would of come out and said it's only a 9's format what relevance does that have to a 13 a side game ?
The only person whining is you nucky so jog on will you?
Do you actually believe what you say?

tigerlogic
Member
Member
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun 26 Jun, 2011 1:23 pm

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:50 pm

Benjirific wrote:
tigerlogic wrote:
Benjirific wrote:Imagine how good we would be in the 13 man game if we let Brooks play both sides of the ruck & run the game like this! One of the biggest hand-breaks Taylor puts on our halves is making them play left & right. They have the ability & experience playing with each other to play as genuine first & second receiver & I think this game (even though it's 9s) has showed how good we could be with Brooks in total control.

They don't, brooks and Moses link together all the time playing both sides
They may float around occasionally, but the structure set up has Brooks pretty much always on the left of the ruck & Moses pretty much always on the right of the ruck. Check out their highlights from last year & it's quite clear.

It's much more frequent than occasionally.. anytime we are in an attacking position they both link on both sides!


User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 11:20 pm

Why does anybody take the 9s so seriously? You get hammered for your mistakes and we sent a team of mostly fringe players, not particularly young either, so I don't know what people expected. We did not send any legitimate flyers, we played dumb tactics on D1, but proper 13-man tactics don't work well in 9s.

Watch the trials, that gives you a better idea but even then doesn't account for much. We've had terrific trial form at times that lead into horror early season form.

Start making your proper comments after Rounds 1-3.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29567
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 5:54 am

Because taking everything they do seriously, showing some pride in the jumper will go some way to fostering a winning culture in the joint... Something it seems we've still yet to achieve in 18 years
Quite a novel approach our Club now takes.... Informing us when they're going to give a s***... Maybe they think that will absolve them of criticism for yet more garbage efforts

Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 4055
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 7:06 am

jirskyr wrote:Why does anybody take the 9s so seriously? You get hammered for your mistakes and we sent a team of mostly fringe players, not particularly young either, so I don't know what people expected. We did not send any legitimate flyers, we played dumb tactics on D1, but proper 13-man tactics don't work well in 9s.

Watch the trials, that gives you a better idea but even then doesn't account for much. We've had terrific trial form at times that lead into horror early season form.

Start making your proper comments after Rounds 1-3.
I'm not disappointed that we didn't make the finals. And I'm glad we didn't get any injuries. But after a poor end to the 2016 NRL season it would have been good for the WTs to display some encouraging signs to give the fans a glimmer of hope and excitement heading into the new season. As a squad over there we looked unprofessional, with baffling decisions like playing your best side for a dead rubber and your worst side in round 1.
For a club that has had a lot of negative press over the last few years I would have thought they might want to come out for the first time in a WTs jersey with a different attitude than the one we saw. That's all. Not disappointed with the result, just the attitude.
in Ivan we distrust

Newtown
Member
Member
Posts: 5661
Joined: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Newtown » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 9:41 am

Australia sent their second eleven to play New Zealand in each of the two ODI's. Australia were beaten in each game. Obviously the Australian Cricket Administration were looking at the big picture of the forthcoming tour of Indi and were accept the losses instead of injuries to their top eleven. Very similar to WT's thinking for the Nines.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41149
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 9:50 am

Newtown wrote:Australia sent their second eleven to play New Zealand in each of the two ODI's. Australia were beaten in each game. Obviously the Australian Cricket Administration were looking at the big picture of the forthcoming tour of Indi and were accept the losses instead of injuries to their top eleven. Very similar to WT's thinking for the Nines.
Yeah but cricket is basically a 12 month sport in the current age Newtown

matchball
Member
Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:21 pm

Post by matchball » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 10:56 am

happy tiger wrote:
Newtown wrote:Australia sent their second eleven to play New Zealand in each of the two ODI's. Australia were beaten in each game. Obviously the Australian Cricket Administration were looking at the big picture of the forthcoming tour of Indi and were accept the losses instead of injuries to their top eleven. Very similar to WT's thinking for the Nines.
Yeah but cricket is basically a 12 month sport in the current age Newtown
A strategy to avoid injuries.
I'm glad we didn't have a go. We don't need any injuries whatsoever.
I laugh when people bring the crappy prize money up. If we lose one player even for half the season, its negated.
We would be in the red instantly if someone goes down. Prize money they can have it.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:03 am

Dumb argument matchball. You can get injured at training.

matchball
Member
Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:21 pm

Post by matchball » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:09 am

stryker wrote:Dumb argument matchball. You can get injured at training.
What's dumb about it?
Why injure our back up players even though they are s***?
We have no depth so we should protect the little amount we have.
Some people just don't get it. The NRL season is what counts. Not some social gathering competition to appease the administration.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6100
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:15 am

Tigerdon wrote:
jirskyr wrote:Why does anybody take the 9s so seriously? You get hammered for your mistakes and we sent a team of mostly fringe players, not particularly young either, so I don't know what people expected. We did not send any legitimate flyers, we played dumb tactics on D1, but proper 13-man tactics don't work well in 9s.

Watch the trials, that gives you a better idea but even then doesn't account for much. We've had terrific trial form at times that lead into horror early season form.

Start making your proper comments after Rounds 1-3.
I'm not disappointed that we didn't make the finals. And I'm glad we didn't get any injuries. But after a poor end to the 2016 NRL season it would have been good for the WTs to display some encouraging signs to give the fans a glimmer of hope and excitement heading into the new season. As a squad over there we looked unprofessional, with baffling decisions like playing your best side for a dead rubber and your worst side in round 1.
For a club that has had a lot of negative press over the last few years I would have thought they might want to come out for the first time in a WTs jersey with a different attitude than the one we saw. That's all. Not disappointed with the result, just the attitude.
I still don't get it. Do you mean attitude from the players, or from the club in terms of how they treated the tournament?

I didn't see a lack of positive attitude from the players. I saw a lack of threat and non-adherence to game plan. You heard JT at half-time in game 1, and ET post game-1, talking about how their plan was to maintain possession, but the players didn't do that.

Did you see the players not trying hard, not getting tired in the Auckland heat, not diving and tackling and pushing up? I didn't, I just saw some bad handling and lack of direction.

But what do you expect, they are half reserve graders who don't normally play together, and JT made it clear they did not train / prep for 9s footy. If that represents a lack of attitude from the club as a whole, sure I how that looks; maybe we could have trained properly and sent a stronger side.

But personally, if diverting effort and resource to the 9s tournament threatens our regular-season game in any fashion, even just by 1%, I would rather the club send a bits-and-pieces side, even if it's not politically smart for the coach to publicly declare non-interest in the 9s.

And so what if we played our leanest side in game 1 and best in game 3? Clearly they were reserving players from too much match time aka exposure to risk. Also, the way the tourney works, if you put out your best side game 1 you pretty much have to stick with it, because you have to win at least 2 games to progress, so only winning the first two games lets you rest anyone. Would everyone have been happy with Brooks playing 6 or so matches in 2 days?

We copped Melbourne in Game 2 and they went within a whisker of playing in the final, so clearly they had a good squad. We put out a stronger team in Game 2.

So I don't know what "encouraging signs" are from a mickey-mouse tournament like the 9s. Even if we'd sent our strongest team and won the whole thing, half the supporters would be saying "well it doesn't mean anything and has little bearing on the 13-a-side game".

So what does it boil down to? Some folks just can't cop us losing, no matter the level of importance?

matchball
Member
Member
Posts: 1728
Joined: Tue 18 Nov, 2014 3:21 pm

Post by matchball » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:21 am

The 9s is basically under a month before NRL round 1.
I see it as a distraction from pre-season preparation and so do a majority of the NRL coaches.

Why risk anything whatsoever 3 weeks out from round one?
So the players can possibly share some drinking cash?
9s should be scrapped.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6392
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:45 am

[quote="innsaneink"]Because taking everything they do seriously, showing some pride in the jumper will go some way to fostering a winning culture in the joint... Something it seems we've still yet to achieve in 18 years
Quite a novel approach our Club now takes.... Informing us when they're going to give a s***... Maybe they think that will absolve them of criticism for yet more garbage efforts[/quote

Maybe they'll come out this season and tell us which whichNRL games they'll be taking seriously so we know when to book in a day in the garden, and when to get a coldie ready in the loungeroom
That'd be appreciated JT.

TrueTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5497
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:45 am

From reading all of the posts within this thread,I noticed a bit of Rankin compared to JAC...

Firstly Rankin has been mainly picked by Taylor because of his utility value compared to JAC,Jordan has been thrown on the wing,hooker,FB and anywhere else to fill a void...he is no world beater but is a dead set tryer who is doing his best,I can see that JAC is fast,has defensive floors and can only play on the wing to my knowledge..good luck to JAC at the storm...Rankin will probably end up in State cup,but at least I can see why he was in the top side last year especially with what we had as depth...as for JLJ he probably has no idea of playing nines but was thrown in to take the pressure off Brooks,JLJ has shown us previously that he can be relied upon when needed and will do his best ...once again he is no world beater but he is what we have ATM..he has been working really hard during preseason,at least give him credit for having a go at bettering himself for the season ahead..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7164
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 12:02 pm

The club spent the Seven days before he nines event trying to flog nines merchandise in order to help their bank balance,yet the coach and th club were not interested in the event. Please explain???

A few clubs have gone up a notch in my book for at least playing in the spirit of the event and having a go,where some others have dropped a notch...ours being one of them.

Although our coache said on numerous occasions in 2016..."it's not about winning" so I guess we are going to hear that quote again in 2017

Post Reply