Long Hard Season

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17519
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: Long Hard Season

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 9:34 am

I didn't watch the Nines at all to be frank, but we took 7 regular first graders, none of which I would consider to be linchpins to our season and reading through the Nines thread it sounds as though we didn't take it all that seriously.

I know some feel that isn't a great indicator of the year ahead and I understand the reasoning but we have a coach and a large contingent of players, particularly promising young players who have and have not yet lived up to the hype, that are looking to secure their futures. I don't feel as though the Nines will correctly show how we've been working on the 13 man game in the off season. They will all be hungry. Yeah the Nines showing was poor but it probably doesn't reflect the structures that we'll see come round 1, largely because most of our first team was not there.

I'll reserve judgement until then. Rightly or wrongly, we don't ever seem to take the Nines seriously. I know there's form to suggest that Nines form bodes well for teams as every team, including Parra until they got busted last year, has appeared to do well but for whatever reason we don't seek out to win it and it is reflected in our performances.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...


supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6950
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 9:48 am

Like others I can see teams like the Dogs struggling, but when I look at the 16 clubs, I can see eight clubs who on paper have probably a stronger top 22 players. I picked 22 as that is about the number of players most teams use in a season. If you look at your top 17 we might just sneak into the top 8 but injuries and the rep season will take its toll.

I think when you look at all the 16 club we did the least in the way of building up our roster. Anyway on a positive side, I am confident Brooks and Moses will step up a notch, Teddy will be world class again and Liddle could be anything. In saying that I am always worried about our defence and its ability to handle the grind

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3869
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 9:48 am

Nelson wrote:
jadtiger wrote:I would be delighted to be proven wrong and we have a great season but i dont see where 13 wins are coming from to make the 8.Idris hopefully will give us far more options in the centers and we can hopefully put the witches hat with hair in reggies where he belongs.Goal kicking hopefully has been worked on with Moses increasing his accuracy.We still need another winger to replace Rankin but i doubt if he will be replaced anytime soon.
2nd row is a massive issue still and Josh could improve but Chris even though he tries hard is not a first grader in that position(benchie)
If our coaching staff dont pick favourites every week plus we get a good run with injuries and even more importantly some of our kids step up perhaps we will have a decent year.
For people who say i am being negative look at the squads of the other clubs and then write down the 8 we will finish ahead of to make the semis.I see just 2 Knights-Dragons,we may or may not be better than a few others.
As always i live in hope and hope we win every game.I sincerely hope that i am completely wrong but i see us no better than 11th but as always i want success.
Apologies for the rant
Lots of other squads have potential weak areas :
- Manly's forward pack (props in particular but also 2nd row outside of Taupau)
- Bulldogs bench (outside of Kasiano)
- Bulldogs halves
- Roosters second row now than Guerra has gone off the boil and SST is out with an ACL - Aubusson and Liu will be starting 2nd rowers for them
- Rabbitohs back line (moreso with Gray now out injured)
- Rabbitohs forward pack unless George Burgess can turn his form around dramatically
- Cowboys forward pack after the loss of Tamou and Hannant (and back concerns for Matt Scott)
- Storm forward pack looks less imposing with Proctor gone and Kenny B likely having to play big minutes on an edge (which he doesn't appear conditioned for)
- Sharks pack - another year older and less hungry
- Warriors pack - with Matulino out for an extended period they're light on experience and quality in the props
Agree with most, but no Cordner for the chooks?

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 3175
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:01 am

formerguest wrote:
Nelson wrote:
jadtiger wrote:I would be delighted to be proven wrong and we have a great season but i dont see where 13 wins are coming from to make the 8.Idris hopefully will give us far more options in the centers and we can hopefully put the witches hat with hair in reggies where he belongs.Goal kicking hopefully has been worked on with Moses increasing his accuracy.We still need another winger to replace Rankin but i doubt if he will be replaced anytime soon.
2nd row is a massive issue still and Josh could improve but Chris even though he tries hard is not a first grader in that position(benchie)
If our coaching staff dont pick favourites every week plus we get a good run with injuries and even more importantly some of our kids step up perhaps we will have a decent year.
For people who say i am being negative look at the squads of the other clubs and then write down the 8 we will finish ahead of to make the semis.I see just 2 Knights-Dragons,we may or may not be better than a few others.
As always i live in hope and hope we win every game.I sincerely hope that i am completely wrong but i see us no better than 11th but as always i want success.
Apologies for the rant
Lots of other squads have potential weak areas :
- Manly's forward pack (props in particular but also 2nd row outside of Taupau)
- Bulldogs bench (outside of Kasiano)
- Bulldogs halves
- Roosters second row now than Guerra has gone off the boil and SST is out with an ACL - Aubusson and Liu will be starting 2nd rowers for them
- Rabbitohs back line (moreso with Gray now out injured)
- Rabbitohs forward pack unless George Burgess can turn his form around dramatically
- Cowboys forward pack after the loss of Tamou and Hannant (and back concerns for Matt Scott)
- Storm forward pack looks less imposing with Proctor gone and Kenny B likely having to play big minutes on an edge (which he doesn't appear conditioned for)
- Sharks pack - another year older and less hungry
- Warriors pack - with Matulino out for an extended period they're light on experience and quality in the props
Agree with most, but no Cordner for the chooks?
Yeah Cordner will be there and is an absolute gun at club level if he can stay fit. I was talking about 12 and 13. They might go really well in the area - Guerra might find form again or Nat Butcher might get a run and go great guns. I just don't tend to assume that everything will happen to work out for other clubs while nothing will work out for our club.

Boonboon2
Member
Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm

Post by Boonboon2 » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:03 am

Yep I can pick squads we will I think finish ahead of
1. Knights
2. Dragons
3. Manly
4. Warriors
5. Bunnies
6. Eels
7. Dogs

That puts us in the top 9 and I then think we will fight it our with almost everyone else for positions 4-9


User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21832
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:11 am

Comparing squads is like comparing teams before a game. Games aren't won on paper and neither are ladder positions determined. The Broncos are another side who could fall away. They have a tough early draw. There's only 3 teams i'm confident will have as strong a year this year as they did last year. Panthers, Raiders, Storm. The rest i think its open slather. The Warriors will improve, so will the Eels. There's no reason we can't either.

Boonboon2
Member
Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 5:10 pm

Post by Boonboon2 » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:24 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:Comparing squads is like comparing teams before a game. Games aren't won on paper and neither are ladder positions determined. The Broncos are another side who could fall away. They have a tough early draw. There's only 3 teams i'm confident will have as strong a year this year as they did last year. Panthers, Raiders, Storm. The rest i think its open slather. The Warriors will improve, so will the Eels. There's no reason we can't either.
See I think the Storm will go down from last year in 2017 as well - no matter how good you are age catches up with everyone and having 3m tied up in 3 blokes who will be 34 by the end of the year I think will start to tell by the end and they will prob just scrape into the 8.

Panthers look great but with Moylan injury prone, 2 very young halves in their 2nd season in Martin and Cleary and a 30 something 2nd yr hooker in Wallace I think they have some risk around them.

Personally I think Raiders should be Favs going in with Rooster sto be the big improvers (not includign us because like all of us my Tigers judgement can't be non-biased)

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6029
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:27 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:Also, people underestimate the hunger this team will have this year. They're all off contract, and with the exception of Tedesco and maybe Woods, all have to impress. If Brooks and Moses aren't signed by round one they will be busting a gut, same goes for Idris. There's some silver lining if they aren't wrapped up early because it will mean we get the best out of them.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Slow morning at work.
Have you convinced yourself yet?? :D

Actually we all got to see their version of hunger last season when they only needed one win out of their last few games to make the eight.
Hunger for a lot of our players is only what they feel before lunch.
Last edited by goldcoast tiger on Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28983
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 10:30 am

I think I'll wait for happy to arrive so he can talk up how all other 15 teams are better than the Wests Tigers..

Going on recent form that should ensure we go undefeated Minor Premiers and eventual Premiers..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6950
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 11:41 am

Boonboon2 wrote:Yep I can pick squads we will I think finish ahead of
1. Knights
2. Dragons
3. Manly
4. Warriors
5. Bunnies
6. Eels
7. Dogs

That puts us in the top 9 and I then think we will fight it our with almost everyone else for positions 4-9
I think you might have your weststigers glasses on...Eels at full strength would be equal or better than our squad. I would also have the Rabbits and Warriors on par with us. Dragons actually made some good signings in the off season but will struggle with no no7. Manly are in a very similar space to us, they have some standout young talent but also are carrying the odd reserve grader in their top 17. Dogs are going to struggle, but yo know they seldom have two average years in a row and the Knights will be better than 2016 and they beat us in 2016!!!

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17519
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 11:49 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Also, people underestimate the hunger this team will have this year. They're all off contract, and with the exception of Tedesco and maybe Woods, all have to impress. If Brooks and Moses aren't signed by round one they will be busting a gut, same goes for Idris. There's some silver lining if they aren't wrapped up early because it will mean we get the best out of them.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Slow morning at work.
Have you convinced yourself yet?? :D

Actually we all got to see their version of hunger last season when they only needed one win out of their last few games to make the eight.
Hunger for a lot of our players is only what they feel before lunch.
Hard to argue with that. A lot of them are playing for contracts this year though.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3089
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 8:12 am
Location: bayview

Post by jadtiger » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 12:15 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:Also, people underestimate the hunger this team will have this year. They're all off contract, and with the exception of Tedesco and maybe Woods, all have to impress. If Brooks and Moses aren't signed by round one they will be busting a gut, same goes for Idris. There's some silver lining if they aren't wrapped up early because it will mean we get the best out of them.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Slow morning at work.
Have you convinced yourself yet?? :D

Actually we all got to see their version of hunger last season when they only needed one win out of their last few games to make the eight.
Hunger for a lot of our players is only what they feel before lunch.
Hard to argue with that. A lot of them are playing for contracts this year though.
You are correct but if you look at all of the clubs just about every one of them has many players off contract for next year.All should be playing with hunger not just ours

User avatar
Lidcombe Magpie
Member
Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon 21 Dec, 2015 8:11 pm

Post by Lidcombe Magpie » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 12:41 pm

supercoach wrote:
Boonboon2 wrote:Yep I can pick squads we will I think finish ahead of
1. Knights
2. Dragons
3. Manly
4. Warriors
5. Bunnies
6. Eels
7. Dogs

That puts us in the top 9 and I then think we will fight it our with almost everyone else for positions 4-9
I think you might have your weststigers glasses on...Eels at full strength would be equal or better than our squad. I would also have the Rabbits and Warriors on par with us. Dragons actually made some good signings in the off season but will struggle with no no7. Manly are in a very similar space to us, they have some standout young talent but also are carrying the odd reserve grader in their top 17. Dogs are going to struggle, but yo know they seldom have two average years in a row and the Knights will be better than 2016 and they beat us in 2016!!!
Agreed Supercoach the teams we should be above are the Knights and the Dragons. The others are a lottery, as we are, to how their season will go. I would throw the Roosters in that bunch as well, maybe even the Storm as they have lost a few players.

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 12:47 pm

AS far as predictions go (nothing at all to do with my hopes and dreams for the WT's) I agree with Boonboon except for the Eels - my top eight are, in no particular order:
Broncos
Cowboys
Raiders
Panthers
Eels
Titans
Roosters
Storm

As much as I want to believe, I think that the above teams will simply be better than us over the length of the season, and I can't see us staying ahead of any of them at the end.

For positions 9-12..., we will fight it out with the Bulldogs, Sharks, Manly, and Warriors. Hate to say it but we'll miss the eight again and likely fall short of our 2017 result. I really hope I'm wrong, but I am looking at it realistically without my WT goggles.

I think bottom 3 will be Rabbits, Knights and Dragons.

Further predictions... the above will mean a new coach in 2018. Also we will end up retaining Teddy, Moses and Woods but unfortunately lose Brooks.

TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 12:49 pm

Sorry.... meant to say our 2016 result in my last post.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6950
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 2:32 pm

TigerSJ wrote:AS far as predictions go (nothing at all to do with my hopes and dreams for the WT's) I agree with Boonboon except for the Eels - my top eight are, in no particular order:
Broncos
Cowboys
Raiders
Panthers
Eels
Titans
Roosters
Storm

As much as I want to believe, I think that the above teams will simply be better than us over the length of the season, and I can't see us staying ahead of any of them at the end.

For positions 9-12..., we will fight it out with the Bulldogs, Sharks, Manly, and Warriors. Hate to say it but we'll miss the eight again and likely fall short of our 2017 result. I really hope I'm wrong, but I am looking at it realistically without my WT goggles.

I think bottom 3 will be Rabbits, Knights and Dragons.

Further predictions... the above will mean a new coach in 2018. Also we will end up retaining Teddy, Moses and Woods but unfortunately lose Brooks.
I think your pretty close to the mark but I think the Brooks still have a question mark

Post Reply