Long Hard Season

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
palms

Re: Long Hard Season

Post by palms » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:16 pm

Imagine the despair of the Cowboys and Broncos fans. They actually played a pretty much full NRL team with a future immortal and couldn't beat a bunch of kids. I'm sure membership has dropped 200% as as a result

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:20 pm

Seems to me that people are actually cheesed of because they didn't even TRY to win the games, a bit of effort wouldn't have gone astray.

Sorry Stryker,
Didn't see your post saying the same thing

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:30 pm

southerntiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
tigerbenji wrote:Taylor said before the nines he didnt care about it, fair enough, but $380,000 first prize . Why not send some players who will try something. No i am wrong there, Why not coach them to play some nines footy as that was woeful yesterday.
That prize money means very little to the clubs. The different between a financially successful club and one that is not, is not a once off cash injection of $380,000.

I suspect if you could guarantee that money by trying harder, which you cannot, the clubs would care.

But its not worth interrupting pre-season training plans and risking injury of key players for a possibility you might get $380,000.

They get $110,000 for turning up.
Interesting logic Southern

So based on that we shouldn't try and win premierships because you can't guarantee it

Or try and win the minor premiership because you can't guarantee it

Or even try and win a game because all the teams get the same funds from the NRL
None of those follow from my logic. The fact that you think they do is a good reason to cease using the word "logic" old fella.
In fact I think you may want to review your own comment and logic .....

Or lack of it

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:41 pm

I'd be over the moon with a win against Newcastle atm.
It's getting embarrassing.

palms

Post by palms » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 11:23 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:Seems to me that people are actually cheesed of because they didn't even TRY to win the games, a bit of effort wouldn't have gone astray.

Sorry Stryker,
Didn't see your post saying the same thing
I totally get that. I was pretty down after Saturday but we beat a much more fancied side on Sunday. It's just how this competition works.
I'm not losing sleep over it. I'm more interested in seeing how our combos are looking for the actual 13 man trial.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 7:29 am

gallagher wrote:I'd be over the moon with a win against Newcastle atm.
It's getting embarrassing.
Nathan seems to have a hoodoo over Jason 1 from 5 is not good reading.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 7:53 am

TrueTiger wrote:Fair dinkum,the nines,everyone get their knIckers in a knot because the WTs didn't do what THEY wanted them to do...turn up and beat the hell out of whoever was in front of them...I have played many years of Rugby League in probably one of the toughest groups at the time...these pre season games and tournaments mean bugger all against the big scheme of things...the NRL....the comp of the season...guage your players and your depth and then move on to making the finals of one of the toughest comps in the world NRL...you have to give all your squad a chance to show what you got...the nines is perfect for that...it doesn't mean our season is over...start thinking with your head on ,not your head off... :D
TT, so Pascoe will be increasing efforts to sign our halves because we have nothing else of NRL quality in those positions!. Also what was exposed is a severe lack of pace among our established backs except for Brooks and Simona (from the 9s). Are we relying on Suli and Pappenhuyzen to provide pace? I would have included the young Magpies utility Roman I but he is now with the Sharks who will make him an NRl quality player.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 8:10 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:And Happy you also forget, if they did say that, the club would take their war chest and head off into the open market. These guys leaving does not mean the players in the 9's would be who we're replacing them with. Zero chance of that.
It's been said many times before GNR.
All clubs will have a similar war chest , and all clubs will have room for recruiting.
Nothing will change except that players payday will be much bigger.
The bigger TPAs will still be in the hands of the same clubs
Only difference that I can see so far is that Newcastle will be a lot busier than most in recruitment, and a couple of ours would have to be in their sights.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 8:23 am

Josh Aloiai showed some pace.
Don't think overall pace is our issue. Yes it would be nice to have one out and out speed machine on a wing but i see attitude as more of a problem than pace.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 8:32 am

Sue is looking like more of a leader this year. From what I've seen of him in the preseason and at the 9's He, Lawrence and ET will bring the attitude required. I know the amount of interchanges are limited but I'd like bit more rotation in the backrow.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 8:51 am

Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:This whole talk about players getting injured is just a load of garbage

Teddy could be driving the club car and get hit by a drunk driver who falls asleep at the wheel and runs a red light

Moses could get hit by lightning while training during a storm

Someone could be putting up bombs for Teddy and Nofa and neither calls and they could clash knees and Teddy shatters his knee cap

Moses could get tangled up in a tackle and tear his groin off the bone in a training incident

Broncos and Cowboys don't seem too concerned ......
:evil: You better hope nothing happens to Teddy.... as you did not say ..touch your wooden noggin...
Yeah you're right but it's about mitigating risk. If it weren't an issue Happy, every club would be at 100% strength.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 9:19 am

What did we think of our defense during the nines?

palms

Post by palms » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 9:43 am

innsaneink wrote:What did we think of our defense during the nines?
Judging solely from the nines, we still jersey grab, are terrible one on one defenders and still lack the commitment that has let us down in the past.

I think Marsters is still a while off yet if you compare him to Jaydn Su'A. Gees that kid can play and will feature heavily for the Broncos this year

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 9:44 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Geo. wrote:
happy tiger wrote:This whole talk about players getting injured is just a load of garbage

Teddy could be driving the club car and get hit by a drunk driver who falls asleep at the wheel and runs a red light

Someone could be putting up bombs for Teddy and Nofa and neither calls and they could clash knees and Teddy shatters his knee cap

Moses could get tangled up in a tackle and tear his groin off the bone in a training incident

:evil: You better hope nothing happens to Teddy.... as you did not say ..touch your wooden noggin...
Yeah you're right but it's about mitigating risk. If it weren't an issue Happy, every club would be at 100% strength.
So from September to March they will be locked in a padded room

In the pre season so far how many players have got season ending injuries already ??

Yet so far the worst injury from the 9's was a 8 week knee injury

How many trial games are we playing CB ??

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 10:11 am

innsaneink wrote:What did we think of our defense during the nines?
I thought our defense was good; We scrambled quite well and that's really the only type of defense there is in a 9s tournament.
What annoyed me was the one-out hit ups in attack - it showed me we weren't even trying on day 1, and that is not the attitude of a successful club
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

matchball

Post by matchball » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:03 am

Newtown wrote:
Tigers17 wrote:I realise its the first hit out, the Auckland Nines, but really some of the players wearing the Tigers jersey, I shake my head. Is Mcllwrick really going to be considered for first grade, Heleta is as slow as I am, everytime Rankin plays for the Tigers I cringe, Littlejohn and Hunt are taking up salary cap, aren't we in trouble there. And finally Seumanufagai never have rated him, merely makes up the numbers, I just hope he is not named in the 17, Joel Edwards probably puts his hand but!!!! if Curtis Sironen wasn't a better player I give up.
Curtis Sironen scored a try today for Manly as did Addo-Carr for Melbourne. To rub salt in Sironen told Anasta on Foxtel that he had found a new lese of life at Manly.
I heard they just brought in a defibrillator and got his heart going.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:47 am

happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Geo. wrote:

So from September to March they will be locked in a padded room

In the pre season so far how many players have got season ending injuries already ??

Yet so far the worst injury from the 9's was a 8 week knee injury

How many trial games are we playing CB ??
And how many players will play full minutes in the trial games? How many fringe first graders will take the field in those games?

You're right, from September to March they can't be locked in a padded room. Someone sustained a lengthy injury a while back mucking around with their kids in their backyard. That is outside the coaches control. Are you seriously telling me that if we took Teddy and he blew out his ACL in a Mickey Mouse tournament you'd be OK with that? Risk mitigation is a huge part of talent management.
It's not cruelty to animals if you inject enough amphetamines.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 11:55 am

matchball wrote:
Newtown wrote:
Tigers17 wrote:I realise its the first hit out, the Auckland Nines, but really some of the players wearing the Tigers jersey, I shake my head. Is Mcllwrick really going to be considered for first grade, Heleta is as slow as I am, everytime Rankin plays for the Tigers I cringe, Littlejohn and Hunt are taking up salary cap, aren't we in trouble there. And finally Seumanufagai never have rated him, merely makes up the numbers, I just hope he is not named in the 17, Joel Edwards probably puts his hand but!!!! if Curtis Sironen wasn't a better player I give up.
Curtis Sironen scored a try today for Manly as did Addo-Carr for Melbourne. To rub salt in Sironen told Anasta on Foxtel that he had found a new lese of life at Manly.
I heard they just brought in a defibrillator and got his heart going.

I will wait and see how CS and Addo- Carr go for the whole NRL season at their new clubs before I judge whether or not it was bad to let them go...I don't think that either will have a standout year...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D