Matt mcilwrick

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
goldcoast tiger

Re: Matt mcilwrick

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 12:04 pm

TrueTiger wrote:Mcillrick is going to be a solid backup this year,the nines is a different kettle of fish compared to the NRL game,he has the trials to play in yet and we will get a better guide on his playing ability during those games...don't forget even some of the stars of the game come good after a couple of opening round hit outs...not saying Matt is a world beater but,he needs to be given the chance to show us his worth before we completely condemn him to football purgatory....hope he does well for us when asked to play fg...
I hope he goes well, when our selection process sees him play on the wing, when rankin moves to hooker and Taylor moves to left centre......nnaaahhhh....that could never happen.......
Then again....maybe!

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 12:05 pm

theres a reason this is his 4th club in 5 years. he looks slow, service average and defence was terrible. if you remember that length of the field try inglis scored against easts in round 1/2 2015 it all started with a fairly basic miss by mcillwrick

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 1:35 pm

I know this thread is about McIlwrick, but please don't mention Rankin in the first 17 or as a dummy half option. Rankin was terrible in Auckland. The guy just can't perform any aspect of RL at first grade standard - I can't believe he will be in our run on side come March.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 1:55 pm

fergiefurr wrote:theres a reason this is his 4th club in 5 years. he looks slow, service average and defence was terrible. if you remember that length of the field try inglis scored against easts in round 1/2 2015 it all started with a fairly basic miss by mcillwrick
I know Sharks' supporters are very excited by Cherrington. Wasn't the main complaint about Cherrington his defence? His service was excellent and he is quick but apparently Mcillwrick is an upgrade!

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 2:11 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
fergiefurr wrote:theres a reason this is his 4th club in 5 years. he looks slow, service average and defence was terrible. if you remember that length of the field try inglis scored against easts in round 1/2 2015 it all started with a fairly basic miss by mcillwrick
I know Sharks' supporters are very excited by Cherrington. Wasn't the main complaint about Cherrington his defence? His service was excellent and he is quick but apparently Mcillwrick is an upgrade!
we are just getting rid of all those BFC players... Brooks & Woods are next
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 2:21 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
we are just getting rid of all those BFC players... Brooks & Woods are next
I guess we have to make room for more "bargain buys".

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 10:50 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Who said he was an upgrade?
Cherrington went to Cronulla for a chance to play FG, given they had a bit of a vacancy there. He wasn't going to get that here with Liddle being earmarked as the long-term hooker, and Ballin complimenting him this year.
McIlwrick was brought in as a back up, and will play NSW Cup (as he's done at other clubs).

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 10:53 pm

TrueTiger wrote:Mcillrick is going to be a solid backup this year,the nines is a different kettle of fish compared to the NRL game,he has the trials to play in yet and we will get a better guide on his playing ability during those games...don't forget even some of the stars of the game come good after a couple of opening round hit outs...not saying Matt is a world beater but,he needs to be given the chance to show us his worth before we completely condemn him to football purgatory....hope he does well for us when asked to play fg...
Sorry but that doesn't fit with the narrative of the club being incompetent in every single decision it makes. The club needs more angry people on the internet running it, I'm pretty sure that will fix our defensive problems...

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 6:57 am

ricksen wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Cherrington went to Cronulla for a chance to play FG, given they had a bit of a vacancy there. He wasn't going to get that here with Liddle being earmarked as the long-term hooker, and Ballin complimenting him this year.
McIlwrick was brought in as a back up, and will play NSW Cup (as he's done at other clubs).
Curious decision now that we have no depth in a position where we once were strong. If we were so strategic in releasing players to other clubs, why wasn't another talented young hooker ( similar to Liddle)purchased to fill the void? Why waste money on a player who does not have the potential to play NRL and also another who is coming off two knee reconstructions and is on the wrong side of 30,

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 8:48 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
ricksen wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Curious decision now that we have no depth in a position where we once were strong. If we were so strategic in releasing players to other clubs, why wasn't another talented young hooker ( similar to Liddle)purchased to fill the void? Why waste money on a player who does not have the potential to play NRL and also another who is coming off two knee reconstructions and is on the wrong side of 30,
Well, how many young talented hookers were available at the time?

Also, a player sinilar to Liddle? Do you mean another player whose earmarked as a long term option and labeled as one of the best prospects in the game (See Danny Buderus). Do those sorts of players grow on trees?

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:33 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
ricksen wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Well, how many young talented hookers were available at the time?

Also, a player sinilar to Liddle? Do you mean another player whose earmarked as a long term option and labeled as one of the best prospects in the game (See Danny Buderus). Do those sorts of players grow on trees?
The Sharks managed to acquire Cherrington, have two Aust School hookers (the Brailey brothers) and are also chasing Segs from the UK. The Sharks did not extend McIllwrick and instead we have him and all I read is self congratulatory backslapping about how he is good third option backup! Please, who are we attempting to fool? Did we chase any junior rep hookers to fill the vacancy left by Cherrington's departure?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:41 am

I could understand the agitation if he was going to be 1st choice but he is at best 3rd choice ( maybe 4th depending on your thoughts on JLJ )

And yes many good judges have already have massive wraps on Liddle

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 9:48 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:The Sharks managed to acquire Cherrington, have two Aust School hookers (the Brailey brothers) and are also chasing Segs from the UK. The Sharks did not extend McIllwrick and instead we have him and all I read is self congratulatory backslapping about how he is good third option backup! Please, who are we attempting to fool? Did we chase any junior rep hookers to fill the vacancy left by Cherrington's departure?
Liddle is filling the vacancy left by Cherrington... And they are working on Daniel Peck [junior rep] as Liddle's replacement.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 10:58 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:The Sharks managed to acquire Cherrington, have two Aust School hookers (the Brailey brothers) and are also chasing Segs from the UK. The Sharks did not extend McIllwrick and instead we have him and all I read is self congratulatory backslapping about how he is good third option backup! Please, who are we attempting to fool? Did we chase any junior rep hookers to fill the vacancy left by Cherrington's departure?
Liddle is filling the vacancy left by Cherrington... And they are working on Daniel Peck [junior rep] as Liddle's replacement.
THanks.

Who replaces Robbie? :D

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 11:05 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wanted: young possible future representative hooker.
Salary: bugger all
Must be willing to spend the entire year in NSW Cup.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of applicants.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 11:17 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
THanks.

Who replaces Robbie? :D
No one... We dont want anyone with his s*** attitude at the club

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 11:20 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Peck is very small Watto

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 07 Feb, 2017 11:23 am

Masterton wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Wanted: young possible future representative hooker.
Salary: bugger all
Must be willing to spend the entire year in NSW Cup.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of applicants.
Wanted: young junior representative hooker
Salary: modest but incentive based on rate of progression
Must be wiling to learn with a view to NRL action as required (club will not stand in way of NRL offers) :D