Matt mcilwrick

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
TrueTiger

Re: Matt mcilwrick

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 8:20 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Masterton wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Curious decision now that we have no depth in a position where we once were strong. If we were so strategic in releasing players to other clubs, why wasn't another talented young hooker ( similar to Liddle)purchased to fill the void? Why waste money on a player who does not have the potential to play NRL and also another who is coming off two knee reconstructions and is on the wrong side of 30,
Wanted: young possible future representative hooker.
Salary: bugger all
Must be willing to spend the entire year in NSW Cup.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of applicants.
Wanted: young junior representative hooker
Salary: modest but incentive based on rate of progression
Must be wiling to learn with a view to NRL action as required (club will not stand in way of NRL offers) :D

How about...take a seat,fill in this form,it looks like a contract but has no real meaning...
Pick a locker,any locker its temporary..
Be at training early,we will see how you go....
Welcome to the club,for how ever long you last...this is the NRL...good luck with it son....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 9:16 am

Iam not sure what all the fuss is about. You need three no9s on your books capable of playing NRL and that is what we have.

We have Ballin who not only is a strong mentor but is strong in defence and has a good passing game. Of course there is concerns about his age and fitness coming off two knee recons

We have Liddle, probably the best up and coming no9 in the comp

And we have McIlwrith a budget depth signing who can do a job when required without setting the world on fire.

Cherrington was good but he did not fit the Ballin role and he did not fit the McIlwrith role and I think potentially Liddle is a lot better. Okay people will argue he is a lot better than McIlwrith, but I doubt he would be willing to play 90% reserve grade with the odd top grade game and I guess he would command more salary cap than McIlwrith.

I guess a lot will depend on Ballin, if he breaks down early in the season we are in big trouble, but hey you can say the same thing about Teddy,Woods or Moses. Any player can get a season ending injury and we are probably in the same boat with most positions when it comes to back up

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 11:41 am

Why is it that our club recruited two hookers who were not considered NRL options for varying reasons by their former clubs and that somehow supporters are supposed to have confidence JT will perform some kind of partying of the sea to have them play out of our skin. To me, we are reliant on a very talented young player with 1 NRL game behind him. This is poor recruitment and planning by the club.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 12:15 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Why is it that our club recruited two hookers who were not considered NRL options for varying reasons by their former clubs and that somehow supporters are supposed to have confidence JT will perform some kind of partying of the sea to have them play out of our skin. To me, we are reliant on a very talented young player with 1 NRL game behind him. This is poor recruitment and planning by the club.
Farah had to go rightly or wrongly depending on where you sit on the saga, Ballin was under contract for 2017, once again some people think he was a dud signing in the first place but he is under contract and we needed a budget back up signing to support Liddle and Ballin. Okay it is not a perfect set up but barring injuries it should see us through to 2018

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 4:16 pm

Relax,
Answer the following to consider your questioning...

Could ballin potentially last the whole season yes or no
Is there chance that ballin will really improve the side if he lasts the season yes or no
Is ballin on old legs yes or no
Do we have a back up plan if Ballin has to retire yes or no
Is Liddle ready yes or no
Can liddle start or play a full game yes or no
Do we have a back up plan if he is not ready yes or no
Did it cost the earth yes or no
Is McWillrik a hooker with first grade experience yes or no
Can McWillrik play 80 minutes if deperate yes or no
Does the club have money to sign a more quality hooker than mcwillrik considering money available for other postions yes or no
Is McWillrik a bigger body hooker yes or no
Can he tackle yes or no
Can he pass off the ground yes or no
Did the team last year manage to prove that you can get by using a utility hooker if required yes or no
Considering jacob is the future hooker would McWillrik cost less then keeping cherrington yes or no
Are the sharks going to be starting cherrington yes or no
Was it worthwhile to pass on cherrington and buy a backup hooker with first grade experience cultural experience of other clubs, finals /premiership experience from another club yes or no.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 4:26 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Why is it that our club recruited two hookers who were not considered NRL options for varying reasons by their former clubs and that somehow supporters are supposed to have confidence JT will perform some kind of partying of the sea to have them play out of our skin. To me, we are reliant on a very talented young player with 1 NRL game behind him. This is poor recruitment and planning by the club.
Souths did the same thing w Farah and Cook.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 6:09 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:
Pawsandclaws wrote:The Sharks managed to acquire Cherrington, have two Aust School hookers (the Brailey brothers) and are also chasing Segs from the UK. The Sharks did not extend McIllwrick and instead we have him and all I read is self congratulatory backslapping about how he is good third option backup! Please, who are we attempting to fool? Did we chase any junior rep hookers to fill the vacancy left by Cherrington's departure?
Liddle is filling the vacancy left by Cherrington... And they are working on Daniel Peck [junior rep] as Liddle's replacement.
THanks.

Who replaces Robbie? :D
If Ballin plays only 9 games this year then he fills the 9 Farah played last year.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 7:10 pm

Played in 9 contributed in none

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 7:14 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Souths did the same thing w Farah and Cook.
Actually now I think about it, Sharks did the same with Ennis in 2015, adding McIlwrick in 2016 (and now Cherrington in 2017), after losing Lichaa. None of those 3 players were considered "required" at their former clubs, yet it worked out great.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 7:38 pm

Why has Farah been dragged into this?

A position of strength is now a serious weakness with the recruitment of two players, one of whom is well past his best and because of this was not wanted by the Eagles. The other to my knowledge, did not play one NRL game at the Sharks (significant because the coach is a former hooker).

So instead of trying to bring RF into this, let's deal with what we have in the hooking role and I will say I feel enormous sympathy for young Liddle,

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 7:50 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Why has Farah been dragged into this?

A position of strength is now a serious weakness with the recruitment of two players, one of whom is well past his best and because of this was not wanted by the Eagles. The other to my knowledge, did not play one NRL game at the Sharks (significant because the coach is a former hooker).

So instead of trying to bring RF into this, let's deal with what we have in the hooking role and I will say I feel enormous sympathy for young Liddle,
He's probably been dragged into this because everyone knows you're bleating about hooker because you're still upset about Robbie.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 7:55 pm

More to the point if the recruitment of Ballin and Mcllwrich is an example of the standard of player we want to attract to the club, this pot of gold at the end of the rainbow about big name players for 2018 will be worth a giggle. Far from bleating, this is a legitimate concern but Nelson you are always good for a laugh if nothing else!

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 8:16 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
THanks.

Who replaces Robbie? :D

I dunno why Robbie got dragged into this Paws,

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 8:43 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:More to the point if the recruitment of Ballin and Mcllwrich is an example of the standard of player we want to attract to the club, this pot of gold at the end of the rainbow about big name players for 2018 will be worth a giggle. Far from bleating, this is a legitimate concern but Nelson you are always good for a laugh if nothing else!
We finished the year with Halatau, Rankin and ET playing at hooker. I'm pretty confident we'll get a better showing out of these blokes. I'm not worried about hooker. You can't have guns all over the park.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 8:50 pm

Well going off Adam Reynolds and Madge's recent comments it may be Robbie Farah and Matt McIlwrick facing off in ISP Cup...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 8:55 pm

Geo. wrote:Well going off Adam Reynolds and Madge's recent comments it may be Robbie Farah and Matt McIlwrick facing off in ISP Cup...
I'd say they're: a) antagonising him for motivation; and b) keeping him in his place...and I'd say you are: a) b) c) and d) trying to stir Paws.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 10:02 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Why has Farah been dragged into this?

Really Plaws, you can't recall your recent post that dragged him in?

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 10:08 pm

to be honest we have needed to stiffen up our middle defense for a long time. We have very few hitters that stop people at the line. Ballins a hitter i liked the idea just hasnt worked out