ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:52 am

He'll be solid enough in NSW Cup
Looked awful in defence this weekend

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 11:42 am

ricksen wrote:He'll be solid enough in NSW Cup
I remember Blake Austin being written because of his defence in 9s. Then everyone realised it is a completely different game then 13 a side football.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 11:43 am

His dummy half passing was worse than Robbie's. Very slow service and not sure on of the passes actually hit the mark. 1st receiver was constantly reaching to take his passes. Rankin is a better dummy half!!!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 11:50 am

Harvey wrote:His dummy half passing was worse than Robbie's. Very slow service and not sure on of the passes actually hit the mark. 1st receiver was constantly reaching to take his passes. Rankin is a better dummy half!!!
You've just described most third string hookers. Good thing he's our third string hooker.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 12:16 pm

Yeah...nah

I'm hoping Ballin and Liddle stay fit...

I think as back up maybe OK...could have been trying to hard perhaps..or better suited to the 13 man game....named Hooker of the Year in ISP so I don't think he is a complete dud...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 12:28 pm

Seeing our 3rd in line to the hooker throne has NRL experience you can't complain

He mightn't be the best , but I don't expect him to be the best either

batboy

Post by batboy » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 12:53 pm

Watched the Broncos game from last year (Ballin at hooker) Man - Brooks and Moses really cut loose with him there... It was fantastic.
Doubt we'll see much McIlwrick in firsts this year - That's why he's at the 9's

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 1:03 pm

batboy wrote:Watched the Broncos game from last year (Ballin at hooker) Man - Brooks and Moses really cut loose with him there... It was fantastic.
Doubt we'll see much McIlwrick in firsts this year - That's why he's at the 9's
Absolutely! How do I like this post?

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 4:50 pm

southerntiger wrote:
ricksen wrote:He'll be solid enough in NSW Cup
I remember Blake Austin being written because of his defence in 9s. Then everyone realised it is a completely different game then 13 a side football.
His defence still isn't very good, but he's a half so it's mostly hidden. McIlwrick is a hooker so will need to do a mountain of defensive work.
I can't see him playing FG unless there are a few injuries.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 5:09 pm

Yeh Reggies Level

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 8:58 pm

Hunt looked better when he went to 9 for a bit and Hunt isn't a hooker, ditto for Rankin.
Hooker is a big concern for us this season, don't let the fact that we have 3 hookers and a few utilities in that position fool you, none of them are ready.

Balin has missed 2 seasons now, coming off busted knees and isn't getting younger.
Liddle is, well (little) and IMO not ready (especially stepping into a team who's defense is fragile)
McIIrick isn't NRL standard

Taylor's future hinges on this position working better than it did with Robbie, I bet Taylor is having nightmares about it.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 8:59 pm

I thought he looked very average and ordinary.

Nucky Thompson

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:13 pm

Hit hard in D.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 05 Feb, 2017 10:38 pm

TIGER wrote:Hunt looked better when he went to 9 for a bit and Hunt isn't a hooker, ditto for Rankin.
Hooker is a big concern for us this season, don't let the fact that we have 3 hookers and a few utilities in that position fool you, none of them are ready.

Balin has missed 2 seasons now, coming off busted knees and isn't getting younger.
Liddle is, well (little) and IMO not ready (especially stepping into a team who's defense is fragile)
McIIrick isn't NRL standard

Taylor's future hinges on this position working better than it did with Robbie, I bet Taylor is having nightmares about it.
Liddle is suprisingly big. 183cm & 85kgs. Only a couple of Kg's off most the NRL hookers

I am not sure either Ballin or Liddle are ready to play 80 minutes, but if something was to happen to one of them, would prefer a makeshift dummy half rather than carrying McIllwrick on the bench.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 7:54 am

Harvey wrote:
I am not sure either Ballin or Liddle are ready to play 80 minutes, but if something was to happen to one of them, would prefer a makeshift dummy half rather than carrying McIllwrick on the bench.
I appreciate what you're saying about using a makeshift hooker, but that (playing Rankin at wing and hooker, or wasting ET there) drove people crazy last year, and I'm not sure we have a better option.

I only saw the first game, but I thought his service was fairly crisp.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 10:37 am

Mcillrick is going to be a solid backup this year,the nines is a different kettle of fish compared to the NRL game,he has the trials to play in yet and we will get a better guide on his playing ability during those games...don't forget even some of the stars of the game come good after a couple of opening round hit outs...not saying Matt is a world beater but,he needs to be given the chance to show us his worth before we completely condemn him to football purgatory....hope he does well for us when asked to play fg...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D