2017 lack of interest

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
Newtown

Re: 2017 lack of interest

Post by Newtown » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 7:14 pm

2017 is going to be very interesting with all the playing staff coming and goings which every NRL club will experience as they manoeuvre the 2018 CAP.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 8:07 pm

Newtown wrote:2017 is going to be very interesting with all the playing staff coming and goings which every NRL club will experience as they manoeuvre the 2018 CAP.
Wading thru BS to get to the facts.
It's one of the negatives nowadays of the NRL

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 8:43 pm

King Siro, I've been through this before. My interest has waned, then peaked again.like measuring a heart beat.
When I was a kid I loved playing footy. I actually used to get to school an hour early just to play a game of footy with school mates before school...then brandings at little lunch. Footy at lunch and after school. As a kid I couldn't sit through a hole 1st grade game. in my teens, I could. (Maybe because Balmain became good). Then in the 90's I lost a bit of interest in watching full games again. Don't know if this was because of the Super League war..,or just me.
Then towards the 2000's work life took over from social life and footy became a way to speak to people and work. My interest grew again. I thought my interest might completely die when the merger happened, but it was the opposite. I could go on and on but I guess my interest has always fluctuated. Peaked, then waned. I think I like the WTs more than the NRL in general. But still like the NRL more than any other football code. I think it's the tribalism. I also like club and subbies Rugby, but not higher levels of Rugby. I like the idea of soccer but find it incrediblely boring. Not interested in American sports or AFL. Actually I hate what AFL is doing the Australian sport.
You'll be back
in Ivan we distrust

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 9:20 pm

Last year I started to get more interest in junior footy than the NRL. I watch it now out of habit rather than interest.
I never thought I'd ever be mowing the lawn instead of watching RL ,but it happened last year.
The ignoring of the rules by referees started the decline and some indifference is still there.

Again last night, my favourite crap moments in the game continued, with the defending team continuing to be allowed to have one foot behind the dummy half, when they are defending on their tryline.
Why bother to have the ball at that stage of the game as almost all of the defending team is offside at nearly all tackles .
What idiot started this garbage that has crept in.
Rather than players having to have both feet BEHIND their tryline when the attacking team is near their line, any thing goes!!!!
When Harrigan started this crap of letting the game supposedly flow, by not penalising
ANYTHING at all. He started to wreck the game.
It must be a hell of a game to have survived some of the morons who seem to be continually trying to murder it.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 10:19 pm

gallagher wrote:Channel 9 strangles the life out of any game. The commentating last night was as woeful as ever. I found last year more enjoyable due to all games being on Fox. Cant wait for it to start.
This.

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 10:24 pm

You'll come around once the season proper begins.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sat 11 Feb, 2017 10:33 pm

king sirro wrote:Anyone else feeling underwhemed about the 2017 season starting?

Dont get me wrong, im looking forward to round one, but my interest is way down on previous years. Im quite concerned about how little im bothered by it all. The nines and the all stars games certainly reminded me at how boring the game can be. I know they aren't true indicators of the real comp but the video ref stuff in the all stars game just had me syaing all over again "this game really has gone bad". Last year i only ever watched the Tigers games. I always had the other games on but didn't focus on it too much, head in phone, cooking dinner etc etc. I fear that will increase in 2017.

Someone give me a reason why the game will improve in 2017 please, i need it.

A few Tigers wins will most likely change my thinking though.
Totally agree KS. The game has become very very boring, predictable and stale. Up to a few years ago I would pretty much watch nearly every single game every week (weekends were over before you knew it!) but now just watch the Tigers games and just little snippets of the rest. Every game is the same now, no punch-ons, no rib rattling shoulder charges, no hate between teams or players, very poor refereeing, boring as hell replays for every single scoring play (you can't even celebrate a try now as a supporter until they have wasted 3 or 4 minutes analizing replay after replay-even for blatantly obvious decisions), stale footy of the 5 dummyhalf runs and then hoist a bomb variety, the whole game has lost it's unpredictability.
The weak-guttedness of the tossers running the NRL only adds to the frustration, there are definitely clubs who are favoured over others in all aspects, most notably the rorting of the salary cap.

Sport in general nowadays is very sterile, uneventful and stale IMO. Not really many characters anymore, only boring automatrons or complete buttholes ie Kyrgios and Tomic.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 2:38 am

This is pretty much the way I feel as well. The game is too predictable. Refereeing is dreadful and the player market is not a level playing field. What the game needs is another young Benji Marshall.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 10:57 am

jirskyr wrote:I friggin love footy, can't wait every year when it comes back. Watch it with my kids, watch it with my Dad, watch it with my mates. It defines the weekend, I've put the Tigers games in my calendar and we need to schedule around those.
Yep. When I'm asked to any social event, the first thoughts are 1) are the Tigers playing that day? 2)will they have the game showing?
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 11:59 am

Fade To Black wrote:
king sirro wrote:Anyone else feeling underwhemed about the 2017 season starting?

Dont get me wrong, im looking forward to round one, but my interest is way down on previous years. Im quite concerned about how little im bothered by it all. The nines and the all stars games certainly reminded me at how boring the game can be. I know they aren't true indicators of the real comp but the video ref stuff in the all stars game just had me syaing all over again "this game really has gone bad". Last year i only ever watched the Tigers games. I always had the other games on but didn't focus on it too much, head in phone, cooking dinner etc etc. I fear that will increase in 2017.

Someone give me a reason why the game will improve in 2017 please, i need it.

A few Tigers wins will most likely change my thinking though.
Totally agree KS. The game has become very very boring, predictable and stale. Up to a few years ago I would pretty much watch nearly every single game every week (weekends were over before you knew it!) but now just watch the Tigers games and just little snippets of the rest. Every game is the same now, no punch-ons, no rib rattling shoulder charges, no hate between teams or players, very poor refereeing, boring as hell replays for every single scoring play (you can't even celebrate a try now as a supporter until they have wasted 3 or 4 minutes analizing replay after replay-even for blatantly obvious decisions), stale footy of the 5 dummyhalf runs and then hoist a bomb variety, the whole game has lost it's unpredictability.
The weak-guttedness of the tossers running the NRL only adds to the frustration, there are definitely clubs who are favoured over others in all aspects, most notably the rorting of the salary cap.

Sport in general nowadays is very sterile, uneventful and stale IMO. Not really many characters anymore, only boring automatrons or complete buttholes ie Kyrgios and Tomic.
Yeah I agree with both and I'm exactly the same in your sentiments.
The game is so predictable, the stop starts, to the countless Penalties blown , every Try checking for every little angle. The game has lost the common sense about it.
These Days I make plans on Weekends where as before I'd check what time we played first and wouldn't organise anything if we played at that time, my priorities have changed.
Then you get an Email from the Club with the heading
" We want you " in regards with membership and what is there to be excited about this year? All the uncertainty we have.
I love my Club but it's hard to keep motivated.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 12:19 pm

Still absolutely plan everything around the Tigers game of a weekend and eagerly watch our games but other than that the NRL is losing my interest at a rapid rate. It is only because there is no other decent sports to follow that ensures the NRL is still clearly number 1. UFC is great but really don't want to be forking out $50 every 2nd week for the privilege of watching it.
I think the saturation TV coverage actually detracts from the NRL instead of enhancing it, especially with halfwits like Matt Johns, his brother, Tallis, Brett Finch, Hindmarsh, Brandy etc having their munted melons beaming at you from the telly every 5 minutes.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 12:23 pm

Masterton wrote:
jirskyr wrote:I friggin love footy, can't wait every year when it comes back. Watch it with my kids, watch it with my Dad, watch it with my mates. It defines the weekend, I've put the Tigers games in my calendar and we need to schedule around those.
Yep. When I'm asked to any social event, the first thoughts are 1) are the Tigers playing that day? 2)will they have the game showing?
Yep it should be against the law to get married during football season

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 1:07 pm

I can't wait, footy is not just about the game and results for me, its a family day.

We get together to watch every Tigers game. Either live or on TV. We eat, we talk, we cheer and we argue. If We lose we blame the players, the coach, the ref and kick the dog, we win happy days!

I hardly see my family over summer everyone is out doing their thing, but come footy season it's every weekend!

Bring it on.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 1:12 pm

Paris Cobbs wrote:This is pretty much the way I feel as well. The game is too predictable. Refereeing is dreadful and the player market is not a level playing field. What the game needs is another young Benji Marshall.
Te Maire Martin could be the man

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:37 am

Paris Cobbs wrote:This is pretty much the way I feel as well. The game is too predictable. Refereeing is dreadful and the player market is not a level playing field. What the game needs is another young Benji Marshall.
I am not going to try and change your feelings, but how is the game predictable? The premiers never repeat, I am lucky to tip one or two perfect rounds a season, there are upsets absolutely every week.

Talk about 1994, ARL was much more predictable then. But apart from Newcastle being bog for the last few seasons, every other team is a threat every single week.

Refereeing sucks because of the level of scrutiny. That's all it is. There have been howlers in every round since I started watching in 1985, it's only that we now have 50 million replays to catch refs out, and they've made what I think is a mistake in bringing the ref-side of off-field to the public - refs boss, weekly commentary / announcements on decisions etc. If we stopped policing and babying the refs so much, they'd be able to do their jobs and not get buried under scrutiny and second-guessing.

Everyone wants less video reffing but they want every mistake or call to be corrected. Can't have both.

OK player market honestly not completely level and it never will be. You'll never be able to compete with popular single-city teams like Broncos or Warriors for signings, unless you have some very involved wealthy benefactors / power brokers.

But apart from that, who really dominates the player market? Roosters? For all that buying power Roosters have missed the finals 50% of the last 10 seasons, including a wooden spoon and a 15th. Sure they got the MP 3 years straight with 1 premiership, but there have been plenty of other premiers in that time as well.

And lastly yeah, the game does need young Benji Marshalls, or similar. So I'm just gonna discount RTS, Shaun Johnson, TMM, Nathan Cleary, Bryce Cartwright, Kayln Ponga, Mitch Moses, Tedesco, Latrell Mitchell, Connor Watson, Anthony Milford, Taumalolo, Ash Taylor, Liddle, Bevan French, Suli Vunivalu, none of these blokes have "it".

Like I said, can't change your impression. And then I wonder what the hell NRL are supposed to do for supporters who say things like this.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:50 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:I can't wait, footy is not just about the game and results for me, its a family day.

We get together to watch every Tigers game. Either live or on TV. We eat, we talk, we cheer and we argue. If We lose we blame the players, the coach, the ref and kick the dog, we win happy days!

I hardly see my family over summer everyone is out doing their thing, but come footy season it's every weekend!

Bring it on.

sounds awesome TCL! Sometimes wish my girls had more interest, then again they have so many other interest maybe i should just be glad they sit down and watch the occasional Tigers game. Probably should also be grateful they are still Tigers fans despite being born and bred in Manly.
in Ivan we distrust

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 10:50 am

sorry. hit the summit button twice
Last edited by Tigerdon on Mon 13 Feb, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in Ivan we distrust

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 11:41 am

I'm pretty excited for the season, but already annoyed with the media coverage. It seems 80% of the stories we read/watch are anchored by shock jocks or clickbait, with very little substance for the most part. There's already much talk about SOO bolters FFS, and we're 3 weeks away from the season starting. You'll read more stories on things like Lodge's 'redemption' than you'll see intelligent tactical analysis.

Ch 9 coverage is awful, and will probably be even worse now that Yvonne Sampson has shifted over to Fox. Fox have their issues, but their TV product isn't too bad for the most part. There's a fair bit of crap, but enough good content to outweigh the bad.

I'm also sick of SOO as a product, let alone it's presence decimating the proper competition for months in the middle of the season, but that's another story.