Moses, Brooks in doubt for NRL trial V Cowboys

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
Tigerdon

Moses, Brooks in doubt for NRL trial V Cowboys

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 2:55 pm

Moses, Brooks in doubt for NRL trial
From ESPN 1:20 PM AEDT Matt Encarnacion

Wests Tigers halves Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks are likely to head into their NRL season-opener without playing a minute of the club's trial games due to injury.

Both players are in doubt for the Tigers' final trial against North Queensland on Saturday after Moses suffered a heel injury in the All Stars game and Brooks got his wisdom teeth pulled out.

Moses was in a moon boot as he sat out Monday's training session, and while he wants to play against the Cowboys in Campbelltown, he is unlikely to risk further injury.

The Tigers five-eighth hurt his foot early for the World All Stars in the annual fixture against the Indigenous All Stars and while he came back on, failed to finish the match.

"It's nothing bad, just precautionary. I should be right this week to play but if it's not right, I'll definitely be sweet for round one anyway. It's just to take the weight of my heel," he said.

"I wouldn't mind (a game), just to get a go with the boys. Against the Cowboys as well, that'll allow us to see where we're at and how we've trained.

"It'd be good to get a game in, but it's not the end of the world."

While the pair are almost certain to meet South Sydney in round one, the Tigers face a number of injury problems leading up to the clash at ANZ Stadium on March 3.

Veteran hooker Matt Ballin is racing the clock on his return from a second straight knee reconstruction, while back-up rake Jacob Liddle missed their last trial with a shoulder issue.

Their uncertain status could mean an unlikely call-up for late signing Matt McIlwrick, while utility Justin Hunt was also sporting a moon boot at Concord.

Ballin also confirmed he is unlikely to trial and is 50-50 for round one.

"I've been out doing field sessions for the last month, pretty much full field sessions. Contact's been more so lately and it feels strong," he said.

"At the moment I feel really confident with it. It'll just depend on availability and what they want to do. The conservative road would be reserve grade then first grade after that."
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:04 pm

After three months of upbeat positive media stuff, you know all the off season usual bits of media fluff, we are now getting the bad news stories as we get closer to game one. Just can not believe Ballin is in doubt for round one. They will probably trot him out in round 12 for half a game, than retire him off

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:12 pm

Lol Jesus

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:14 pm

This won't make happy happy

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:19 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:This won't make happy happy
It won't make anyone happy
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:40 pm

All I can say is,for professional footballers they seem to be injured more than they are fit....VERY SOFT FOR THE MONEY THEY ARE ON...

I know you all think Iam a sarcastic old coot,but I don't care,for God sake Moses a heel injury,don't they tape their ankles or use compressed padding these days to support their workload...
Brooks has a couple of wisdom teeth taken out,fair dinkum he has no wisdom..I got smashed in the mouth when I played ,when I took the mouthguard out there was three teeth imbedded in it,trip to the dentist Monday and played the next Sunday..

I won't say anymore because some on here will get upset because I'm having a go at the golden boys....sigh...its to much for me,the girl footballer s are tougher than our lot.....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 3:43 pm

Happy to the snack bar please....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Enmoretiger

Post by Enmoretiger » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 4:52 pm

Long time reader, first time poster. Business has kept me insanely busy.
It would good to get a near full strength side for the trial against Thurston's mob, but it is only a trial.
I must admit I usually go to most Newtown jets games, on the hill, can beer; you can even watch the game in your car. It is a step back to old time Sydney footy, before 3 million extra people got here.
I am really looking forward to this year. They will be much better for last year and now the unmentionable issue has be sorted. They could develop into a very special footy side.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:09 pm

Welcome Enmore.
Ive watched the game at Henson from the back of a ute as a kid...was a rare treat

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:16 pm

how can matt ballin not be fit to play.?
he has since forever off and is still not right.
is he a bit precious?

Enmoretiger

Post by Enmoretiger » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks Ink, I grew up as a Penrith junior and when I travelled to watch the tigers, it was always a special treat to go to the Hendo after the game and blow the top off a few beers. Saw Tommy do a unmentionable dance on the front bar once. Always think about when I go now, what he think of all the rainbow families that go there now?

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:19 pm

supercoach wrote:After three months of upbeat positive media stuff, you know all the off season usual bits of media fluff, we are now getting the bad news stories as we get closer to game one. Just can not believe Ballin is in doubt for round one. They will probably trot him out in round 12 for half a game, than retire him off
Ballin - it does my head in.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi Enmoretiger, Henson Park is a nostalgic tripp back in time when football was not about how much money a footballer could milk from a club. It was a time when footballers played with real pride in their club and locality.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:29 pm

Enmoretiger wrote:Long time reader, first time poster. Business has kept me insanely busy.
It would good to get a near full strength side for the trial against Thurston's mob, but it is only a trial.
I must admit I usually go to most Newtown jets games, on the hill, can beer; you can even watch the game in your car. It is a step back to old time Sydney footy, before 3 million extra people got here.
I am really looking forward to this year. They will be much better for last year and now the unmentionable issue has be sorted. They could develop into a very special footy side.
Welcome mate,I used to live in Wells Street Newtown,just around the corner from Henson Park,the Jets were my second team as I was a Balmain Tigers boy....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:30 pm

Does anyone know when they will announce the team for this trial?
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:33 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:Does anyone know when they will announce the team for this trial?
Usually on Tuesdays

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Mon 13 Feb, 2017 5:36 pm

Here we go....

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 9:51 am

Moonboot no concern for Moses

Martin Gabor Mon 13 Feb, 2017, 2:03pm
By Martin Gabor ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com

World All Stars playmaker Mitch Moses picked up a minor injury on Friday night. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Wests Tigers five-eighth Mitch Moses has downplayed any injury concerns despite walking around Concord Oval in a moonboot on Monday morning while the rest of his teammates slugged it out in Sydney's seemingly endless summer heat.

The 22-year-old allayed any fears that the injury was serious, telling media that it was merely "bone bruising on my [right] heel".

The setback occurred in the first half of the Harvey Norman All Stars game on Friday night in Newcastle, but in good news for Tigers fans, Moses was able to play on with the injury before eventually coming off.

‌"It's nothing bad at all, it's just a bit precautionary. I should maybe be alright for this week to play, but if it's not right I'll definitely be sweet for Round 1. It's just to take the weight off my heel so it's all good," he said.

"It was pretty early in the game. I came off and then strapped it up a bit and then got back out there but it was kind of hurting at the end of that game so I came off."

While the injury shouldn't see him miss any NRL action, Moses is in doubt for the Tigers' final pre-season hit out against the Cowboys at Campbelltown Stadium this Friday night.

With halves partner Luke Brooks (hamstring tightness and wisdom teeth) also unlikely to play, the pair will head into the new season without much game time under their belts, but Moses was confident they'd fine-tuned their combinations throughout pre-season training.

"I wouldn't mind [a run] just to get a go with the boys," he said.

"We've been versing each other and training but you want [some game time] especially against the Cowboys as well. It'll be good to get a game in, but it's not the end of the world [if I'm ruled out]."
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...