Player stats from tonight

matchball

Re: Player stats from tonight

Post by matchball » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:29 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:22 pm
MacDougall wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:11 pm
During the off season Jason Taylor asked me to post tips on here for him to find so that he wouldn't have to be embarrassed to admit he cannot coach. Here's his tip sheet for round 1.

Michael Chee Kam is the best centre at the club.
Jamal Idris needs match fitness and he doesn't need to be in first grade to do it.
Watson Heleta, Kevin Naiqama, Michael Chee Kam and Moses Suli are all better options in the centres right now than Jamal Idris.
Josh Aloiai needs more game time.
Tim Grant needs less game time.
Matt McIlwrick is actually good. Don't replace him just for the sake of it. Based on what I saw the nine is his to lose. He hits HARD.
Jack Littlejohn is a first grader. Keep him.

That's all.

Agree with pretty much all of this except JLJ. Really didn't see any value from him. I thought MM was much better & we looked better with him @ 9. Brooks & Moses were impressive, can't see JLJ displacing them. If anything I'd like to see his spot taken by say JJ Felise, help us keep that forward momentum going when Woods/Ava come off.
Can someone explain to me please where Brooks was impressive?
He failed to make a single try assist.
A few repeat sets isn't impressive in my eyes. Maybe I'm being harsh.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:43 pm

I thought brooks played extremely well tonight in both attack and defence. He will improve as the season goes on but I thought he was very good tonight just overshadowed by Tedesco. I can't fault Brooks tonight. Well played and well deserved
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:50 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:43 pm
I thought brooks played extremely well tonight in both attack and defence. He will improve as the season goes on but I thought he was very good tonight just overshadowed by Tedesco. I can't fault Brooks tonight. Well played and well deserved
He had some faults. 2 tries went begging due to his touches as an example. However he was pretty solid and a lot more involved than he was most of last year.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:53 pm

BTW, Tigers are coming 1st on the ladder. I took a screenshot and now have a new wallpaper!
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:58 pm

stryker wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:50 pm
WestsBenTigers wrote:
He had some faults. 2 tries went begging due to his touches as an example. However he was pretty solid and a lot more involved than he was most of last year.
They were both good options that were a matter of centimetres off being great plays. It was round 1 in the wet so I'm not going to judge him too harshly for being slighlty off on the execution. The game awareness to make those plays was a positive for mine.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:04 am

Nelson wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:58 pm
stryker wrote:
WestsBenTigers wrote:
They were both good options that were a matter of centimetres off being great plays. It was round 1 in the wet so I'm not going to judge him too harshly for being slighlty off on the execution. The game awareness to make those plays was a positive for mine.
I agree he saw the weak link and attacked it. Great signs he is maturing.

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 1:12 am

Im usually critical of brooks, well i was all last year but i thought he was solid tonight. His kicking was much improved he took the ball to the lineand also didnt pass the shiot balls he did last year.
Overall i was impressed

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 1:30 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 10:55 pm
king sirro wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 10:52 pm
matchball wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 10:44 pm
I'd drop Brooks and run JLJ. He can defend like a forward.
He hits hard for a little guy. Brooks fails to hit at all. Never first man in a tackle.
Brooks is overpaid and overrated. I'm not sold he is worth keeping beyond this season.
Thank god you are picking the team.

And Stryker never ever look at missd tackle stats. I reckon i will say this every week this year and i intend on driving people mad over it. Missed tackle stats do not tell the story of what happened.

Lawrence missed 3 tackles tonight and i remember at least two were very good defensive plays by him that allowed the man next to him to make the tackle with no risk of a line break. So statically these 2 misses went down as missed tackles, yet i guarantee Jason Taylor is very happy with those 2 missed tackles.

I hate stats, but if there is one stat i will die saying doesn't count its missed tackles. Watch the game and judge, don't read the game on paper afterwards.
Agreed both Brooks and Moses 1st contact was good...
Two big differences between Brooks and Moses is that Moses misses but stays on his feet , that is a huge one for me , means that if they offload he is still an active defender and has created an easy target for a bigger defender to finish the attacker off one on one

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:14 am

stryker wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:27 pm
king sirro wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:22 pm
stryker wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:18 pm
king sirro wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:12 pm

I must be bloody stupid to not know what they count as a missed tackle mate.
Your just guessing and presenting your argment as fact.

Um ok. If a guy moves forward, makes contact and the attacker breaks free, thats a missed tackle. Its not hard. Im very confident thats what they count as a missed tackle.
Thats not the example you gave. In fact your example was nothing like this whatsoever. Maybe in future youll hesitate to accuse others of not watching the game if this is the weak ammo you are armed with?
Fistly i didnt decribe the defensive plays i referred to re Lawrence so its impossoble to say my example was nothing like i described because i didnt describe it. All i said was the stats have Lawrence missing 3 tackles and i remember 2 of them were good plays. You then asked what a missed tackle was (which is a worry) and i then described that.
Twice Lawrence made an aggressive defensive decision IMO to shut down the space of the opposition at speed. This makes it likely he will make contact but very hard for it to stick so he falls off resulting in a clear missed tackle. However, the space he shut down meant they had no room to go to the edges and the players around Lawrence make the tackle easily. Thats how u believe a missed tackle stat can be a poor reflection.

Secondly, i didnt say anyone didn't watch the game, i said "watch the game" meaning form your opinion from that and not the stats. Apologies if the wording was wrong and anyone took at as me accusing them of not watching the game.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:22 am

king sirro wrote:
matchball wrote:
He hits hard for a little guy. Brooks fails to hit at all. Never first man in a tackle.
Brooks is overpaid and overrated. I'm not sold he is worth keeping beyond this season.

And Stryker never ever look at missd tackle stats. I reckon i will say this every week this year and i intend on driving people mad over it. Missed tackle stats do not tell the story of what happened.

Lawrence missed 3 tackles tonight and i remember at least two were very good defensive plays by him that allowed the man next to him to make the tackle with no risk of a line break. So statically these 2 misses went down as missed tackles, yet i guarantee Jason Taylor is very happy with those 2 missed tackles.

I hate stats, but if there is one stat i will die saying doesn't count its missed tackles. Watch the game and judge, don't read the game on paper afterwards.
Brooks had Burgess running at him all night and did well. I thought his running was very good and his kicking (especially seeking repeat sets) a big improvement from last year. His passing was rusty but it was the first game.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:40 am

stryker wrote:
Fri 03 Mar, 2017 10:45 pm
Lots of really good meters ran but 34 missed tackles is a worry. Needs major improvement.

true - although i was surprised the number was that high - last year missed tackles usually led to line breaks ending in huge gains for the opposition. Last night there seemed to be more cover when a player missed a tackle and the error was quickly shutdown.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:49 am

Teddy and Nofo each made 13 tackle breaks...crazy numbers

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:54 am

stryker wrote:
WestsBenTigers wrote:

Yep he doesn't read the game like Moses does and therefore often takes the wrong option - the kick that Inglis plucked out of the air was the perfect example - a certain try butchered by not drawing Inglis and passing.

hugh1954

Post by hugh1954 » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:55 am

I thought Brooks put in tonight,first game of season if he maintains his involvement he will improve even more during the season. not sure if he will ever become a Steve Mortimer in defense but would love to see him perform a great try saving covering tackle in the future

Twodogs

Post by Twodogs » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:45 am

Chee Kam easily superior to Naiqama last night, who was far superior to Idris. I finally got to see why he's dual second row/centre. Fast and strong and great defender.

And as for Brooks, we know he has the talent, he just needs to put in effort more than once every six weeks. Well, last night he put in effort, so if he does that each week, the results will come. In my mind, he either puts in this year and produces, or we use that money better elsewhere.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:33 am

Give credit where credit is due....the pendulum has moved to the positive side for me tonight....We'll done Brooksie....Keep up the good work my man.... :sign:

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:45 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 8:22 am
king sirro wrote:
matchball wrote:

Brooks had Burgess running at him all night and did well. I thought his running was very good and his kicking (especially seeking repeat sets) a big improvement from last year. His passing was rusty but it was the first game.
Agree - and he hadn't played since the nines.

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:46 am

Big Ava went well - had some mongrel in everything he did.