Gotta fix that right side defence

BlackandGoldForever

Gotta fix that right side defence

Post by BlackandGoldForever » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:51 pm

It's gotta be looked at and fixed fast 3 soft trys down that side, if we are to make the 8 or the panthers will blow us away out wide

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:59 pm

Out at the game tonight and sitting way up in the grandstand I noticed our defence was so compressed, if Souths actually had a quality play maker they could have burnt us out wide. I will reserve all judgment till next week, playing a quality side should give us a really good idea where we are headed...but first impressions are positive even if Souths looked like a team that had played 25 rounds of football and were nowhere near the eight

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:00 am

Yeah it does need fixing. We need Suli, Idris, MCK to play right centre because Kev looked ordinary tonight. MCK didn't look fantastic when he played at right centre when Suli went off, but it is hard to judge when he was just thrown in there the way he was. I don't know if Idris can go the 80 just yet and Suli was out of gas after 60 minutes (but I don't blame him)

There are definetly problems but hopefully JT and the club can fix them and we might be in for a good 2017. Good signs so far.
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:01 am

Any team with a ball playing fullback, which is most of them, can exploit our right side. Cleary and Moylan will steer a lot of traffic at them.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:50 am

If Inglis wasn't playing injured he would've shredded that side to pieces imo

willow

Post by willow » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:52 am

Yep, Frozone and Nofo still get caught out too much. Not sure what the solution is, maybe if Idris is fully fit you play him on the left and Chee-Kam on the right at Kev's expense...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 1:25 am

willow wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:52 am
Yep, Frozone and Nofo still get caught out too much. Not sure what the solution is, maybe if Idris is fully fit you play him on the left and Chee-Kam on the right at Kev's expense...
I still don't know if we have a choice anymore but to play Taylor in defence on the right and Sue defends in the middle and switch them back in attack

As someone said last night our edges still look very fragile and many teams will throw a hell of a lot more at us than Souths did

Soon as Cook was switched to dummy half and we got attacked with speed up the guts our whole defence system struggled , but then again that could of been match fitness , you just don't know at this early stage of the season

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:04 pm

clifferdSH wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:50 am
Yep that's the reality isn't it? As much as I'm enjoying the win and how we played as a team, a Souths side with Reynolds and a fit Inglis would've probably won that game. Hell Goodwin still even managed to score a hat trick! But overall, their whole team seemed to shut off when Inglis went down and we capitalised on it.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:26 pm

Flippedy wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:04 pm
clifferdSH wrote:
Yep that's the reality isn't it? As much as I'm enjoying the win and how we played as a team, a Souths side with Reynolds and a fit Inglis would've probably won that game. Hell Goodwin still even managed to score a hat trick! But overall, their whole team seemed to shut off when Inglis went down and we capitalised on it.
And if we played against a team of Marvel superheroes, they probably would beat us. Jeez you can only play what is in front of you, and we beat souths fairly comprehensively last night.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:30 pm

Flippedy wrote:
clifferdSH wrote:
We monstered their pack and put them on their backs all night. Nor could they stop our offloads. How you come to that conclusion is somewhat mystifying.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:36 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:30 pm
Flippedy wrote:
clifferdSH wrote:
We monstered their pack and put them on their backs all night. Nor could they stop our offloads. How you come to that conclusion is somewhat mystifying.
We played well to win but Bryson Goodwin scored 3 tries ... that in itself is a worry.
Not sure what is wrong with Souths forwards but, apart from Sam Burgess, they don't even look like they're trying

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:39 pm

cktiger wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:36 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
clifferdSH wrote:
We played well to win but Bryson Goodwin scored 3 tries ... that in itself is a worry.
Not sure what is wrong with Souths forwards but, apart from Sam Burgess, they don't even look like they're trying
Tyrell and Turner are reserve graders. Sutton is grossly overrated. And to think Slater on the Footy tipped them because of their pack :lol:

Some seem to think its still 2014 with Souths. They're a shadow. To put it lightly. Bottom 4 for sure.

matchball

Post by matchball » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:44 pm

Nothing is going to stop this in the near future.
Too many players covering for others in defence.

clifferdSH

Post by clifferdSH » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:59 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Flippedy wrote:
clifferdSH wrote:
Goodwin scored 3 tries down that side last night. That would be embarrassing for any team

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 1:18 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:26 pm
Flippedy wrote:
clifferdSH wrote:
And if we played against a team of Marvel superheroes, they probably would beat us. Jeez you can only play what is in front of you, and we beat souths fairly comprehensively last night.

No one is saying that we didn't win fairly and comprehensively last night, but this thread is a discussion about our defensive weaknesses down the edges, particularly the right side, which was still glaringly obvious last night, despite our comprehensive victory. That a busted team can still expose this weakness for 4 tries is a real concern, imo. If it is not fixed soon, the stronger sides we play will run riot. It was a big weakness last season also, yet it still exists! I don't know what the answer is, but the coaching staff and team need to find it quickly or else watch the season slip away.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 1:40 pm

Same old story someone who cant read defence all their career isnt going to suddenly learn.Teams will still continually attack our week RHS defence until a change in personnel happens

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 2:16 pm

Kev always looks ordinary in defence because he is a winger at best ...idris will move to the back row very soon ,imo he is too slow ...chee kee was outstanding

tigermac88

Post by tigermac88 » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 2:38 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 1:25 am
willow wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:52 am
I still don't know if we have a choice anymore but to play Taylor in defence on the right and Sue defends in the middle and switch them back in attack

As someone said last night our edges still look very fragile and many teams will throw a hell of a lot more at us than Souths did

Soon as Cook was switched to dummy half and we got attacked with speed up the guts our whole defence system struggled , but then again that could of been match fitness , you just don't know at this early stage of the season

I like the idea of swapping Taylor and sue in defence,then from there you could even try putting Moses inside Taylor in defence if Taylor has the speed that is, but then that will take away from Moses attack as he'll do more defending. I'm not sure what the answer is but something needs to be done. I think the time has come for Kev to go.