Brooks

king sirro

Brooks

Post by king sirro » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:08 am

Interesting game from him. Overall i think it was good.
Early on he made some crappy plays, looked a little out of his mojo like last year, maybe trying too hard to get that form we know he has. Bad forward pass to Suli but i do believe Suli should have been deeper. The pass hit him on the chest but Brooks should have realised Suli was too flat and not thrown it. Had to run the ball a few times when it wasn't on cos the rythm with himself and his runners was off, but i like that he just took the hit on those occasions and not throw a pressure pass like he did in the opening minutes when Elijah dropped it.

Later in the game he appeared to just play. Looked a little like he took on the Moses attitude and started doing things with speed and arrogance. He looked much better. He took control, his kicking stepped up and he looked dangerous running the ball.

Much more composed in his short kicking game which is a huge difference to last year.

His defence was great. No tries down his side and cant remember any line breaks down his side.

I think round one was a step in the right direction for him.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:14 am

I thought he was strong. More games like that and i will be a lot more keen to see him re-sign as opposed to seeing him as the sacrificial lamb that saves the other 3.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:23 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:14 am
I thought he was strong. More games like that and i will be a lot more keen to see him re-sign as opposed to seeing him as the sacrificial lamb that saves the other 3.
on the re-signing thing, i was thinking during last nights game that Brooks and Moses would be crazy to leave. I know Souths are poor, but the style we play could take these guys all the way.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:25 am

king sirro wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:23 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:14 am
on the re-signing thing, i was thinking during last nights game that Brooks and Moses would be crazy to leave. I know Souths are poor, but the style we play could take these guys all the way.
Its been suggested that early results will have a huge bearing on where they think the club is heading. If that's true, last night was a solid start.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:32 am

He was hot and cold, but overall pretty good.
More games like that will do his confidence a world of good.
It's amazing.... What he did as a kid, everything was successful... Most kids like this have egos like Farah did at same age... He still seems so shy awkward... Very grounded I think and a credit to his family

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:53 am

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:32 am
He was hot and cold, but overall pretty good.
More games like that will do his confidence a world of good.
It's amazing.... What he did as a kid, everything was successful... Most kids like this have egos like Farah did at same age... He still seems so shy awkward... Very grounded I think and a credit to his family
Yeh he's an awkward type. Nice friendly guy. Doesn't seem the type to become a big head at all.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 9:59 am

I thought he went well but just isn't where the other big names are at ability wise. He should stay iff he wants to win a comp with his mates, but he might need to accept that he's not going to attract the same coin. Besides Newcastle, I can't really think who's going to need him. I suppose dogs or storm are possible, but cant see anyone needing him desperately enough to offer him much more than we would. More of last night's performances please. Solid start to 2017

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:06 am

Run Luke Run...his speed is an asset..the more he takes on the line and take a hit the more opportunities it will create..kicking game was also very good...repeat sets are a big advantage in the game...

One game in ...needs consistency...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Tiger4life

Post by Tiger4life » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:11 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:06 am
Run Luke Run...his speed is an asset..the more he takes on the line and take a hit the more opportunities it will create..kicking game was also very good...repeat sets are a big advantage in the game...

One game in ...needs consistency...
I thought this was one of his best games in a very long time. While Moses went back to some old habits of drifting sideways way to many time, Brooks hit the line straight and hard. Cant believe he even put a few big hits on. But you hit the nail on the head, he has to back it up next week and the week after to become the champion player we all thought he would be.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:17 am

His kicking game last night was sooooo much better than last year! I do hope he can keep it up for the season - a good kicking game is such a huge asset and something we have been sorely lacking for many years now. Both Benji and Robbie were way too erratic with their kicking games.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:27 am

i thought he was good - nice to see him running and prepared to get tackled. Bombed a try when he chose to kick instead of passing to Suli, but everything else he did made up for that - astute kicking and epic defence.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:29 am

Flippedy wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:17 am
His kicking game last night was sooooo much better than last year! I do hope he can keep it up for the season - a good kicking game is such a huge asset and something we have been sorely lacking for many years now. Both Benji and Robbie were way too erratic with their kicking games.
Absolutely. His kicking game lifted in the nines and was really good v souffs. Obviously he's been working very hard in that area.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 10:34 am

What I liked was he was really involved.

Even if some things did not come off he was busy.

And when he is busy he is very dangerous as he is fast.

Thumps up overall from me.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 11:03 am

Short kicking was very astute, happy with that. Defence pretty sound. He ran it a fair amount which I like from the halves. Support play was good, he was in and around breaks and obviously scored.

Two areas still for big improvement:
- Firstly he has to learn to straighten up after one or two jinks. He has a really nice left-foot step, but sitting behind the posts, I noticed that most times he beat the first tackle, he continued to jink in-field rather than straighten up into the gap he'd opened up.

- Secondly, following on from #1, straightening up the play before passing and overall pass selection. He still tends to drift across as he passes, which forces his outside runners to either slide with him, or straighten up but face a sharp face-ball. Brooks seems to have a good idea of what he wants to do, but often he doesn't straighten the play enough or pass onto the chest enough. The odd part is he has really nice soft hands when there's already a break on, e.g. the deft pass to Lawrence that put Suli over, but when he's trying to create that line break he's an overly aggressive passer.

Overall 7/10.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 11:04 am

really with his body size, been a nugget and with his great pace the bloke should be running the ball more often than passing.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:34 pm

Good signs from the halves.
Moses done less but injected himself better. Last year he overplayed it at times and Brooks game suffered. Picked better moments and will improve further.
That allowed Brooks more confidence and we were straighter in attack as a consequence.

matchball

Post by matchball » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:50 pm

Once he gets over the fear of initial contact in defence he should be fine.
It's a worry if he still hasn't found the courage after all the games he has played.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 12:52 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Sat 04 Mar, 2017 11:04 am
really with his body size, been a nugget and with his great pace the bloke should be running the ball more often than passing.
Absolutely. Id like to see him take on the line close to the try line.
I thought last night was the perfect mix from the two of them.