Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 397 times

Brooks overhauls playing style..

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:05 am

Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks vows to overhaul playing style
Nick Walshaw, The Daily Telegraph
March 10, 2017 7:33pm

TOGETHER, they have played fast and loose since high school.

A decade of daring. But not anymore.

After years of promise, Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks has vowed to finally become the “composed playmaker” his combination with close mate Mitchell Moses requires.

The revelation represents an important shift for the off-contract duo who have played together since age 12 and could be in the last year of a partnership that has risen through Holy Cross Ryde, Balmain Juniors, Australian Schoolboys and now first grade.

While Moses enjoyed an outstanding 2016 — finishing inside the Dally M Medal top 10 — Brooks struggled to find the consistency required of a player once hailed a future NSW No.7.

“And Mitch deserves everything he got last year,’’ Brooks said. “But personally, I wasn’t playing my best footy. I was sort of just going along with him.

“And that’s motivated me. Seeing the way he was playing, it’s motivated me to step up and really take control this year.

“Over the pre-season, I’ve worked a lot on staying composed. Not trying to score on every play.

“That’s a big thing for this team.

“Over the past few years we’ve tried to score off every play. But for me now, it’s more about building pressure, earning repeat sets and coming up with good quality last play options.”

Asked if the Tigers needed a more controlled half, Brooks continued: “Definitely.

“We have a lot of guys here who can play what they see, play off the cuff. So it’s important for me to stay composed and take control when I need to.

“And that’s something I’m having to learn. I was always more a ‘play what you see’ footballer.

“But as halfback, it’s my job ... nobody else is going to do the kicks and get the last play options.”

The Tigers have their four biggest names off contract — with Brooks and Moses joined by captain Aaron Woods and NSW fullback James Tedesco.

Fox Sports commentator Matthew Johns urged all four to stick tight, like Tigers legends Wayne Pearce, Benny Elias, Steve Roach and Paul Sironen did in the 1980s, and create a premiership dynasty.

Asked if players still thought in such romantic tones, Brooks replied: “Premierships are why you play the game — or why I play footy anyway.

“I dreamt of winning an NRL premiership as a kid and I’m still dreaming about it now.

“And we have the side here to really make a charge for it. So that’s something you definitely take into account when thinking about your future.”

This Sunday the Tigers go up against another exciting halves duo in Penrith’s Nathan Cleary and Te Maire Martin.

While the Panthers were thumped 42-10 by St George Illawarra in their season opener, Brooks is expecting a far more focused opponent this week.

“That wasn’t them,’’ he said of the Panthers’ opening-round display. “I’m not sure what happened against the Dragons but they will definitely be motivated by that loss.

“They’ll be looking for a big game and we need to be ready because they will be firing.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... ac2bfb966d
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tigrr
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Tigrr » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:39 am

I hope he changes his style but he has always played and kicked for himself too much,

fergiefurr
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:45 am

he certainly looks the fittest ive ever seen him, seems he is finally taking footy seriously

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times

Unread post by matchball » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:01 am

Let's hope hope he overhauls the defensive side.
It's a game of offence and defence. Someone should tell him.

king sirro
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:00 pm

Tigrr wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:39 am
I hope he changes his style but he has always played and kicked for himself too much,
I cant recall Brooks ever kicking for himself. He always kicks for other runners. There may have been the odd one, but i cant recall it.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:17 pm

He actually sounds a lot more mature & composed in this interview which is something he has struggled with previously. Also as others have mentioned he seems much fitter this year.

Good on him, hope he has a great year for us & we re-sign him quick smart.

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 86 times

Unread post by willow » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:57 pm

Good signs last week, his short kicking game was very good and he certainly looks fitter than last year. When he starts taking the line on more in attack we'll be a better side for it as it creates another focal point for the opposition to consider which is a good thing considering Moses and Teddy have no fear in taking the line on.

tig_prmz
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:20 pm

he needs to adjust to his team mate's speed. he definitely is too fast and when he accelerates no one can keep up with him and hence runs out of support
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Born tiger
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Born tiger » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:32 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:20 pm
he needs to adjust to his team mate's speed. he definitely is too fast and when he accelerates no one can keep up with him and hence runs out of support
He needs to run slower?

tig_prmz

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:35 pm

Born tiger wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:32 pm
tig_prmz wrote:
He needs to run slower?
LOl nah adapt to the team mate's speed. know when to accelerate, when to straighten up and when to slow it down for other options like chris lawrence who has amazingly slow acceleration and ends up miles behind brooks.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:56 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:35 pm
Born tiger wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:
He needs to run slower?
LOl nah adapt to the team mate's speed. know when to accelerate, when to straighten up and when to slow it down for other options like chris lawrence who has amazingly slow acceleration and ends up miles behind brooks.
Absolutely right. Goods players have 4 or 5 levels of speed. Its the deception that makes them so difficult to defend against. Brooks, when he is playing poorly, is always doing everything at a frantic pace.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 18 times

Unread post by mike » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm glad he realises he wasn't playing all that well. Accepting that is the first step in improving.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 7:40 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:56 pm
tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:35 pm
Born tiger wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:
He needs to run slower?
Absolutely right. Goods players have 4 or 5 levels of speed. Its the deception that makes them so difficult to defend against. Brooks, when he is playing poorly, is always doing everything at a frantic pace.
Brooks doesn't seem to know when to hit the gas , like the other night v Souths , he Suli outside him and only a hobbling Inglis out of position

He dropped the hammer and beats Inglis he has a 2 on 1

Very true about using speed as a deception , and only run as quick as you need to , might sound weird but not having the opposition know your top speed is an advantage

Tigrr
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Tigrr » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 8:21 pm

king sirro wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:00 pm
Tigrr wrote:
I cant recall Brooks ever kicking for himself. He always kicks for other runners. There may have been the odd one, but i cant recall it.
He has done too many chip and chase, he kicks when he should pass, too often e.g against souths Inglis,

king sirro

Unread post by king sirro » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:01 pm

Tigrr wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 8:21 pm
king sirro wrote:
Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:00 pm
Tigrr wrote:
He has done too many chip and chase, he kicks when he should pass, too often e.g against souths Inglis,
I think kicking at the wrong time is different to kicking for himself. I do agree he can kick at the wrong time and the example against souths is a good one. I dont think he is a selfish kicker though.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Cosimo_Zaretti
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 12:13 am

There's were a couple of times against Souths where Brooks looked across to Idris on his outside, then went with some hair brained plan B rather than pass it. There was one where he put a stupid kick.in instead of passing it, and another where he tried to float a cut out ball to Suli which was called forward.

Both times Idris was the obvious reciever, but it felt like Brooks doesn't trust him yet.

criwdfluffer
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 5:26 am

Gee tough crowd ,he had a great game v souffs.

Kicks were spot on ,took the line on and defended with gusto.

If he does that every week we are in for a big year.

king sirro

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 5:47 pm

Ummmm..... what i say. As a defender of his how do i explain his performance today? He was a joke. No he was embarrassing.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Return to “Round 2: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”