Brooks' worst performance

1/4 chicken,chips
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Brooks' worst performance

Unread post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:51 pm

We didn't look unfit ...it was hot at the ground and the 10 was skinny ..our pack got dominated and our halves played accordingly it was clear with 10 to go in the first half we were in trouble . Idris is not a centre anymore imo . How many 17 s would Edwards make ?

LCA
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by LCA » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 5:26 pm

Tedesco is an out-and-out star. But, that's it for the Tigers.

And, no matter how good the fullback is,he's not going to be the one who defines our season.

He is too dependent on the quality of the forwards matching or beating the opposition pack and equally as dependent upon the ball skills and kicking game of the halves to maintain pressure and give us some field position to show his attacking class.

He was let down shockingly by both forwards and halves yesterday.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 37 times

Unread post by Masterton » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 5:27 pm

shakey4d wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:58 pm

Ps what the hell happened with our bench rotation today? I didn't spot Aloiai until the last 10 and can barely recall Edwards.
I thought Aloiai was one of our better. Played 35 minutes, no misses in defence and did some dirty hitups in the 2nd half, including 2 in one set when we were struggling.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

fergiefurr
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 6:07 pm

i can handle an off day with ball in hand, it happens. what i cant handle is his soft defensive attitude as soon as it gets tough. that try to make it 12-2 with 2 mins to go before halftime was entirely his fault because he took the easy option. then his pathetic 'effort' on whare which completely took the game from us. he should be dropped and makde an example of. for too long he has been coasting and allowed to get away with this crap.

Bula
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bula » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 7:41 pm

Has there ever been a game where Brooks was our best on a beaten team? I doubt it. He is consistently part of the problem and never the solution. If he can't read in defence then stick him in the middle with a couple of boppers either side.He tackles what comes at him or he gets steamrolled. Maybe someone with the ball will trip over him.

supercoach
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:24 pm

Maybe we need to ring the Dogs and see if they want to swap Reynolds for Brooks. At least you know Reynolds is going to give a 100% and will do anything to win a game. We need 17 players who want to win and hate loosing.

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:48 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 13 Mar, 2017 10:06 am
Brooks doesn't appear able to step up in difficult games. That's the sad truth of what we've seen so far. I reckon if you go back and log all his best games, they are when the forwards and whole team are dominant, and he just rides the wave.

But games where we are in trouble, he is very rarely a clutch player, you don't throw the ball to him with 2 minutes to go, not at all.

He says he wants to control a game and direct the team around the park, but he just doesn't impose himself on the game for long enough periods, his execution is off and he struggles to build pressure on the defence week in and out.
When he was meekly tackled on the last early on I knew it wasn't going to be his day. All went downhill from there, but this guy needs to be moved on. Wont happen but can always dream.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 11:52 pm

krayola wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:27 pm
No, no, no. This had very little to do with the forward pack and actually that hasn't ever been the case with Brooks' deficiencies.

When we were on top to begin with he chose to run at Martin on the 5th when a wide pass or grubber were the better options and also kicked the ball dead on the 5th a few minutes later. To start the second half he put up a long bomb that was caught in-goal. He threw a flat nothing ball to Idris on the goal line that Jamal knocked on, a pass he's thrown I swear two dozen times over the last few years. It always ends in the same result. The kickoff out on the full... the defence today. None of it has to do with the forward pack however it all contributed to us being on the back foot.

I don't care if performances like this drive his price down. He's simply not worth whatever he's being paid. Throw it at an experienced, steady hand who has demonstrated some ability to control the tempo of a game.
110% correct!!!
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

bonstonker

Unread post by bonstonker » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 4:50 am

kicking game sucks,he is an expert at letting pressure off the opposition early in games with kicks going dead and then fading out as the game goes on.
defense is still that of a rookie
in attack his decisions are all premeditated,doesn't matter if he is covered or his outside is covered he will still go through with the play .

needs to show 4 weeks of good play,not 1 game in 4 weeks.

wd in perth
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by wd in perth » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:50 pm

supercoach wrote:
Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:24 pm
Maybe we need to ring the Dogs and see if they want to swap Reynolds for Brooks. At least you know Reynolds is going to give a 100% and will do anything to win a game. We need 17 players who want to win and hate loosing.
I'd take Reynolds in a heart beat. The guy - although polarising, is a terrier and has won his team plenty of games. He has attitude and aggression. I can't think of single area in which Brooks game has improved since day one in first grade. I'll go as far as to say even Rankin has had more standout games than Brooks and there's not many there. Letting go of Austin was probably the single biggest error that our contractual decision makers have made in my opinion. He wanted the 6, he scored tries and he didn't hide in defence. I noticed Townshend was compared to Brooks a page or two back. Townshend is Alf in comparison. He's a grand final winning half for starters. Every single game he has a dig. And when things weren't going so well for him, he was hooked by his coach - Go figure. He's another I'd grab if the opportunity was there.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 2:59 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:05 pm
should be in NSW CUP next week, was useless today. but in saying that gee we looked unfit, we ran out of puff 15 min before 1/2 time.
I was at the game and they were flogged in the warm up, they were burnt out before the game started.

Twodogs
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Twodogs » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 6:26 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Mon 13 Mar, 2017 6:07 pm
he should be dropped and makde an example of. for too long he has been coasting and allowed to get away with this crap.
And when he complains, JT can reply "Who do you think you are? Robbie Farah?"

otho

Unread post by otho » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 2:02 pm

wd in perth wrote:
Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:50 pm

...Letting go of Austin was probably the single biggest error that our contractual decision makers have made in my opinion. He wanted the 6, he scored tries and he didn't hide in defence...

So much this. It was the most bewildering decision (in terms of impact going forward) that I have seen in decades. Arguably the worst call made by the club, ever. The thing about Austin is, that he may not have been Mister Flashy, but he was exactly what this club needed in that position then and for at least a few years after, to help get things back on track. As well as the attributes you mentioned, he always persisted, never gave up, took the game by the scruff of the neck, regardless of whether the others had clocked off and usually lifted the team in the process. He was the sort of player that can't be measured by just stats... and his stats weren't shabby.

barra
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 2:22 pm

otho wrote:
Wed 15 Mar, 2017 2:02 pm
wd in perth wrote:
Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:50 pm

...Letting go of Austin was probably the single biggest error that our contractual decision makers have made in my opinion. He wanted the 6, he scored tries and he didn't hide in defence...

So much this. It was the most bewildering decision (in terms of impact going forward) that I have seen in decades. Arguably the worst call made by the club, ever. The thing about Austin is, that he may not have been Mister Flashy, but he was exactly what this club needed in that position then and for at least a few years after, to help get things back on track. As well as the attributes you mentioned, he always persisted, never gave up, took the game by the scruff of the neck, regardless of whether the others had clocked off and usually lifted the team in the process. He was the sort of player that can't be measured by just stats... and his stats weren't shabby.
100% Otho!
When we were dismal he could always hold his head up high because of his obvious effort! And that included when he played for us against Canberra - only maybe one or two even tried that day.

barra
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by barra » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 2:27 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
Tue 14 Mar, 2017 2:59 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 6:05 pm
should be in NSW CUP next week, was useless today. but in saying that gee we looked unfit, we ran out of puff 15 min before 1/2 time.
I was at the game and they were flogged in the warm up, they were burnt out before the game started.
I've seen that happen to us too Bathursttiger - at least that's what it looked like. But I am pretty sure that at this athletic level a solid warm up would not be enough to cook the players. I think it's more likely a nerve thing - which can absolutely sap your strength too, and by the time you recover it's too late.

That being said, the type of warm-up you have is important too and can easily be customised for the day. Sometimes it just looks like they do the same thing and work on familiarity to get the players in the groove - and if that's the case it didn't work!

Return to “Round 2: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”