Let the nightmare start again..

Tigerheart_returns

Let the nightmare start again..

Post by Tigerheart_returns » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:48 pm

Quite frankly, today was a real measure of where we are as a club. Forget last week - look how the Bunnies bounced back and who they were playing.
Our so called "young" spine has one big weak link, and there is enough said on other threads.
Our coach still doesn't seem to have a clue - in attack, unless Teddy sparks something, we are pedestrian at best.
I fear we'll be repeating the same things this year as we have done in previous years. Except we have now run out of excuses. Sadly.

Post by 851 » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:10 pm

Lay the blame on the coach, he is in his 3rd year and nothing has changed
Go hard or go home

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:28 pm

I think 2 rounds is a little early for sweeping statements one way or another.

However I didn't think we defended overly well last week against Souths so was not that excited about the win. Today was the same on the goal line. I just think we are too small - I don't think it is a lack of effort in most instances. Have a look at us on the goal line - Lawrence next to Brooks - Moses and Kev and Nofo on the other side. We can scramble well some games and get in teams faces by racing out.

However when it is a 50-50 we are going to get run over most times. Teams just man handle us when they are in the mood. That is why I failed to bye into the hype and put us in my Top 8. I think we are na fora similar year last year (perhaps slightly worst other teams - i.e. -Roosters and Parra are rebounding strong. Put simply we have not addressed out weakness.

Tigerheart_returns

Post by Tigerheart_returns » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:36 pm

Eddie, some skills you either have or you'll never learn. If Brooks can't read a play, and rushes out of the line, well he should know by now. The bench was all over the place, Taylor should hare realized that as well.
If we can't tackle the big forwards, then we have no place in today's NRL, I'm afraid,

matchball

Post by matchball » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:42 pm

:ugeek:
851 wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:10 pm
A coach can only do so much.
These players play football full time and should know the basics of defence. Brooks hasn't a single clue how to defend. He is stuck in under 20s no defence style of footy.
Has hasn't progressed into a NRL footballer I'm afraid.

He made it this far on hype and our inept recruitment.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:44 pm

Thats the problem, nothing's changed, and probably won't.despite all the excuses, jt can't get the team up for a game on a regular basis.

Losing a game at this stage of the season isn't the be all and end all.
But we seem to have no direction on the field too often.
We rely on mainly on big sweeping setups to Get Tedesco on the outside
If Teddy is off a bit, or has a game that's a bit below his best, and they don't come off, we are usually stuffed.
When is the Coach going to do something about this,
(And our crap defence) ?

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:51 pm

It all comes back to the forwards. A fit little will make a difference but at present out backrow just is not good enough. Today we overplayed ET at first receiver,but the forwards did not have the dash of last week and did not play direct enough. Early days but you would have to be worried about next week, Josh papilla will rack up 500 meters

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:51 pm

Tigerheart_returns wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:36 pm
Eddie, some skills you either have or you'll never learn. If Brooks can't read a play, and rushes out of the line, well he should know by now. The bench was all over the place, Taylor should hare realized that as well.
If we can't tackle the big forwards, then we have no place in today's NRL, I'm afraid,
If you watch some replays, you'll find that Moses rushes up every bit as much as Brooks and a lot of times comes up with nothing. It's one of the reasons that the right side is our opposing teams favourite whenever they need a try.
Both of these blokes are overrated. Moses still isn't anywhere near consistent, despite being in first gradeconstantly since he came into first grade

Tiger4life

Post by Tiger4life » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:14 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:51 pm
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:36 pm
If you watch some replays, you'll find that Moses rushes up every bit as much as Brooks and a lot of times comes up with nothing. It's one of the reasons that the right side is our opposing teams favourite whenever they need a try.
Both of these blokes are overrated. Moses still isn't anywhere near consistent, despite being in first gradeconstantly since he came into first grade
Moses definitely not living up to the hype. Has no idea in defensive reads and kicking game is non existent. Was hoping he would take of how he finished last year but seems a shadow or himself. I reckon he is no where near 100% fit. I also reckon these contract negotiations will start getting into their heads.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:13 pm

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:48 pm
Quite frankly, today was a real measure of where we are as a club. Forget last week - look how the Bunnies bounced back and who they were playing.
Our so called "young" spine has one big weak link, and there is enough said on other threads.
Our coach still doesn't seem to have a clue - in attack, unless Teddy sparks something, we are pedestrian at best.
I fear we'll be repeating the same things this year as we have done in previous years. Except we have now run out of excuses. Sadly.
How can you seriously say that last week was not a measure of the team, but this week is? It's two games, two games of equal duration. They are equally informative of the state of the team.

Because Souths did bounce back quite well this week, as did Panthers, but is Round 2 the sum total of their current status as well? Are the Dragons in trouble for being swiped by the Eels despite their great win last week?

Tigerheart_returns

Post by Tigerheart_returns » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 1:53 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:13 pm
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:48 pm
How can you seriously say that last week was not a measure of the team, but this week is? It's two games, two games of equal duration. They are equally informative of the state of the team.

I am not basing just on the last 2 games, but rather on how they reflect the way we've gone the last few years...

Because Souths did bounce back quite well this week, as did Panthers, but is Round 2 the sum total of their current status as well? Are the Dragons in trouble for being swiped by the Eels despite their great win last week?
See above...

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:23 pm

Our 6 and 7 both had average games but there cause was not helped by the ref. Sitting high up in the grandstand it was obvious the Pennys decide to limit the time our playmaker had to do their stuff and I would say they were offside every set. Okay they conceded a few penalties,but the majority of the time they got away with it.

Our mob will never win a arm wrestle against any team, they beat teams through their attack and from where I was sitting they had no chance yesterday. People will say you can not blame the ref when you get smashed by 34 points but I disagree, you have to expect to be given a fair chance. The funny thing everyone loves our attacking style yet the NRL will do nothing about the ref on Sunday.

I suppose Griffin needs a pat on the back for comping up with a effective game plan even if it was not in the spirit of the game

1/4 chicken,chips

Post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:35 pm

Well said SuperCoach .i was there and seen it the same way .the short 10 suited Penrith perfectly

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:41 pm

851 wrote:
Sun 12 Mar, 2017 8:10 pm
851. You get your wish and he gets sacked this week.

Who is your new coach and where are you getting the money from, both to pay him and to buy new players?
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:43 pm

supercoach and 1/4 chicken,I agree with both of you regarding the poor refs,however,if you are a professional nrl player you shouldn't let bad calls get in the way of playing the game,rules are rules and sometimes you get a heap of bad calls,but you must overcome adversity and play the best you can,bad refereeing will bob its ugly head in nearly every round,dropping balls,bad passes,laziness and bad defensive reads are the fault of the player ..not the ref...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:48 pm

supercoach wrote:
Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:23 pm
Our 6 and 7 both had average games but there cause was not helped by the ref. Sitting high up in the grandstand it was obvious the Pennys decide to limit the time our playmaker had to do their stuff and I would say they were offside every set. Okay they conceded a few penalties,but the majority of the time they got away with it.

Our mob will never win a arm wrestle against any team, they beat teams through their attack and from where I was sitting they had no chance yesterday. People will say you can not blame the ref when you get smashed by 34 points but I disagree, you have to expect to be given a fair chance. The funny thing everyone loves our attacking style yet the NRL will do nothing about the ref on Sunday.

I suppose Griffin needs a pat on the back for comping up with a effective game plan even if it was not in the spirit of the game
Couldnt see the off-side in PTB that easily on the TV feed, but they were up very quick. Going into the sheds at halftime, I wasnt worried and actually felt we could come out in the 2nd half and win the game.

I put it down to the Panfers getting alot of luck and we couldnt buy any. Frustratingly, the same pattern evolved in the 2nd half and our luck was shot. We couldnt build momentum, we couldnt hold the ball, we couldnt get back-to-back sets. Teddy was dangerous as usual, but he seemed to get the ball at the wrong time each set. I think Luke & Mitchell have to wear some of that blame, and they need to be prepared to settle a few sets before building something.

Our test is next Sunday. Come out and compete for 80min, and I'll be happy with a win or loss.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 3:24 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:48 pm
supercoach wrote:

Couldnt see the off-side in PTB that easily on the TV feed, but they were up very quick. Going into the sheds at halftime, I wasnt worried and actually felt we could come out in the 2nd half and win the game.

I put it down to the Panfers getting alot of luck and we couldnt buy any. Frustratingly, the same pattern evolved in the 2nd half and our luck was shot. We couldnt build momentum, we couldnt hold the ball, we couldnt get back-to-back sets. Teddy was dangerous as usual, but he seemed to get the ball at the wrong time each set. I think Luke & Mitchell have to wear some of that blame, and they need to be prepared to settle a few sets before building something.

Our test is next Sunday. Come out and compete for 80min, and I'll be happy with a win or loss.
Do anyone of us think this forward pack can in anyway compete with The Raiders ...our pack is owned most weeks by lesser packs than the raiders,and as far as competing for 80 minutes well that is pie in the sky stuff.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 3:30 pm

Snake wrote:
Mon 13 Mar, 2017 3:24 pm
Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 13 Mar, 2017 2:48 pm
supercoach wrote:

Do anyone of us think this forward pack can in anyway compete with The Raiders ...our pack is owned most weeks by lesser packs than the raiders,and as far as competing for 80 minutes well that is pie in the sky stuff.
If the Wests Tigers want to get in a battle and compete like for like with the Raiders, its going to be a long afternoon... The key to beating any big forward pack hasnt really changed in 20 years. We must move them around and play an expansive attacking game. No doubt we must man up in defense and shut down there middle, but they are beatable!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017