Moses Suli

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Moses Suli

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:07 am

It will be interesting to see how this kid goes this week. Unlike others on here, Im not all doom and gloom after one loss. However, in both the Souths and Penrith games I was surprised at this young bloke's lack of speed.

There was one moment in the Penrith game where he had to turn and chase and he fell away very easily.

There is a lot to like about him - good feet, poise on a break - but I don't see any room for a slow winger in the modern game.

Thoughts?

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 188 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:13 am

First of all, he's not a long term winger. I think we could see him in the centres by mid-season. But I agree, you need a bit of toe if you are on the wing. I was at our first two games, so was not really able to get a close look at him. I will on tv this afternoon though. From what I've seen he looks like a wrecking ball BJ type. Might not be fast, but is strong and powerful.

Furious1
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Furious1 » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:14 am

It may just be a lack of fitness. He seemed to turn and catch a kick in the in goal quite quickly against Penrith. TBH though, i haven't taken too much notice of his overall speed.

Sco77y
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Sco77y » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:28 am

I probably haven't watched him close enough to say either way, or to conclude anything about his performance yet with the limited amount of games he's played in. Having said that he hasn't stood out to me personally, unlike a player such as JAC who was a real standout from the word go. The club obviously see some real talent there so looking forward to seeing the best of him.

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:28 am

He is most certainly quick enough. I think he has that deceltive look where he appears slower than what he actually is. He's no genuine speedster but fast wnough combined with his size.

Unlike others, i dont want him moving to the centres. Wing these days is a much more important position and we need his size and ability on the wing. Centres hardly touch the ball nowadays, whereas wingers are an extra forward.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:29 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:13 am
First of all, he's not a long term winger. I think we could see him in the centres by mid-season. But I agree, you need a bit of toe if you are on the wing. I was at our first two games, so was not really able to get a close look at him. I will on tv this afternoon though. From what I've seen he looks like a wrecking ball BJ type. Might not be fast, but is strong and powerful.
I agree with most of that. I guess i have just been a bit underwhelmed by his start. He doesnt seem to have the raw athleticism of a teenage prodigy. I remember Karmichael Hunt debuting as an 18 year old and what struck me, like it does with all good young players, is what a natural athlete he was. By contrast, Suli looks awkward, although admittedly he did some very good things against Souths.

Obviously I hope he proves me wrong and slays it.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:31 am

king sirro wrote:
Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:28 am
He is most certainly quick enough. I think he has that deceltive look where he appears slower than what he actually is. He's no genuine speedster but fast wnough combined with his size.

Unlike others, i dont want him moving to the centres. Wing these days is a much more important position and we need his size and ability on the wing. Centres hardly touch the ball nowadays, whereas wingers are an extra forward.
Sure, if he can be a new TNT that would be great.

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:43 am

Yeah I don't think he's quick either, but I think he has a bright future. It will be in the centres where he will excel. But for now just to get his foot in the door wings OK for me.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Chevy
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Chevy » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:53 am

The concerns i have with him is that he drifts along way infield in defence,while his inside men are also at fault he needs to call his team mates out for support.His handling can be suspect and if he is going to be a winger he needs to get aerial when contesting bombs,catching clearing kicks while grounded is fine but if a winger can not leap he will be targeted.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:22 pm

He's quick enough to play in the centres without issue, but after 2 F}G games, I still think he's a bit off the pace in terms of match fitness, and probably having that self awareness that when a break is made you turn and chase regardless.

Chris Lawrence was very noticeable doing this a few years ago when playing in the centres, if someone got on his outside he'd give up the chase and jog - looked absolutely buggered and I know a few of us on here commented about it as we do after a Tigers loss.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:32 pm

He's no speedster, but he looked fast enough in a break against Souths. Maintains a good speed even with changes of direction.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 348 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:52 pm

Suli is the least of our problems...shown a lot more composure at 18 than some of our more experienced players...

Happy for him to stay on the wing for now move to centre down the track..big test coming up against Leipana
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Snake
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 56 times

Unread post by Snake » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 2:03 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 19 Mar, 2017 1:52 pm
Suli is the least of our problems...shown a lot more composure at 18 than some of our more experienced players...

Happy for him to stay on the wing for now move to centre down the track..big test coming up against Leipana
Agree he is the least of the problems let the young fella find his feet ....about the only positive so far this season ...

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 41 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 2:14 pm

He isn't a jac, but he has enough pace, big hips,think legs and tall when he is in the centres he will be devistating. He checks back infield, quick enough to force the defender to go low has his hands free. If he can't break through he gets a pass away. That's where he will carve them up. Put some pace outside him and they will rack up some points.

Question is can he defend in the centres with a weak half outside him. at the moment his defence on the wing is ok for a rookie.

Year of the Tiger

Unread post by Year of the Tiger » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 3:10 pm

Has shown he has the ability. Hopefully he is a leluia in the making.
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

TIGER
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:51 am

He's pretty ordinary if you ask me.
Needs to improve a lot in every area. I don't think he's got it in him, I think he'll be just another average winger that will drop off the nrl radar shortly.

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:11 pm

He is 18

DonnyBrasco

Unread post by DonnyBrasco » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 1:08 pm

He's got a massive ticker for a young kid, he's hitting the line and making yards, he's coming in taking some dirty hit ups, he's got great footwork and some pace as well.
Looks the goods.
Tigers for 2022!

Return to “Round 3: Wests Tigers vs Canberra Raiders”