Chris Lawrence

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5565
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Chris Lawrence

Post by jirskyr » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 4:25 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 4:13 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 1:47 pm
he is one of the few Tigers players to consistently put his body on the line in attack.
Puhhlease, what a contradiction! Being excused for dropping hospital passes and at the same time lauded for putting his body on the line. Strewth!
How is that a contradiction? It's entirely consistent.

Compare: I excuse you for dropping your weapon because your body was riddled with bullets, and I laud you for being the first person to reach the enemy line.

Compare: I excuse you for getting water in your lungs and I laud you for jumping into a river to save a drowning child.

Would you not excuse a footballer for making some errors if he was more consistently involved in the play? Hard to miss tackles if you are never in the right spot, hard to drop the ball if you never make hitups.

It's the same argument one would make to explain why Broses make the most errors and miss the most tackles, because they touch the ball so often and have so much big-frame traffic directed at them.

Not an excuse, but an explanation, to paraphrase Tim Sheens.


User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Post by bigsiro » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 5:16 pm

For me to explain your contradiction we must first both accept the basic premise that when Brooks makes a crappy hospital pass, whoever takes that pass is going to get hammered.

Thus, a player taking said pass with this knowledge IS certainly deemed as putting his body on the line.
Conversely, a player dropping the crappy pass prior to reaching the defensive line is most certainly NOT putting his body on the line. Rather, he is doing quite the opposite.

Ergo, excusing Lawrence for dropping hospital passes while at the same time saying that he puts his body on the line is herein a paradox i.e. a contradictory statement.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

User avatar
bigsiro
Member
Member
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue 11 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm

Post by bigsiro » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 5:23 pm

Hope that didn't come across as too facetious :D
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

rozelle rudy
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun 26 Aug, 2012 6:15 pm

Post by rozelle rudy » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 5:31 pm

Agree. Rowdy is obviously popular with the players and tries hard BUT too small for the forwards, too slow for the backs, too unskilled for NRL.

Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3442
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 5:43 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 1:47 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 12:13 pm
Hospital shmospital!!!!

Gimme a bloody break!!!!

Catch the ball for crying out loud!!!! Hospital pass is hardly a reason to drop the ball FOUR TIMES in a half!!

Sure, they were poor passes. What about the drop from the kick-off??? Did Brooks do that too???

Crikey Brooks has enough detractors (I'm one) and there enough threads where us fans highlight his ineptitude. But fair go, this is about Lawrence and unless those passes are uncatch-able (which they weren't) then a guy who is an 11 year veteran can damn well catch the ball first and if he's got an issue with the poor passing then he would be well within his rights to berate Brooks all he damn well likes.

But, if he's going to drop the ball every single time unless it is lightly placed on his chest then fair suck.
oks should throw less crap passes. You can't just say "the onus is on Lawrence to catch everything".

In 3 rounds Suli and Tedesco have the most errors (6). Lawrence has 5, Moses 4, 5 others have 3 errors. Previously, Lawrence made 12 errors in 2016, 7th worst of the team. In 2015 he made 10 errors, 11th worst. In 2014 he made 25 errors, that was a bad year, worst in the team. He's hardly the consistent ball-dropper, mistake-maker that he is labelled.

Just looking for some perspective in these hard times. All performances need to be viewed in context.
How many times has Tedesco touched the ball compared to Lawrence? How many more times to the wingers fullbacks and halves touch the ball compared to Lawrence?

What doesn't come into your statistical look at this? What I like about your stats is you leave the bits out that don't suit your argument.

How many times does he drop the ball per touch compared to others.

Now THAT would be a far more interesting stat.

Really all those 3 error on the weekend were unforced.Its not like they were around his takes. They hit him in the bred basket. Sure they were not the best passes. However one of them put him through half a hole. He didn't even lay a bit on him.

He is gone as a footballer mate, has been for years. Puts his body not he line every week, doesn't stop being being a liability most weeks.


User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5565
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 8:47 pm

Eddie wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 5:43 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 1:47 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 12:13 pm
Hospital shmospital!!!!

Gimme a bloody break!!!!

Catch the ball for crying out loud!!!! Hospital pass is hardly a reason to drop the ball FOUR TIMES in a half!!

Sure, they were poor passes. What about the drop from the kick-off??? Did Brooks do that too???

Crikey Brooks has enough detractors (I'm one) and there enough threads where us fans highlight his ineptitude. But fair go, this is about Lawrence and unless those passes are uncatch-able (which they weren't) then a guy who is an 11 year veteran can damn well catch the ball first and if he's got an issue with the poor passing then he would be well within his rights to berate Brooks all he damn well likes.

But, if he's going to drop the ball every single time unless it is lightly placed on his chest then fair suck.
oks should throw less crap passes. You can't just say "the onus is on Lawrence to catch everything".

In 3 rounds Suli and Tedesco have the most errors (6). Lawrence has 5, Moses 4, 5 others have 3 errors. Previously, Lawrence made 12 errors in 2016, 7th worst of the team. In 2015 he made 10 errors, 11th worst. In 2014 he made 25 errors, that was a bad year, worst in the team. He's hardly the consistent ball-dropper, mistake-maker that he is labelled.

Just looking for some perspective in these hard times. All performances need to be viewed in context.
How many times has Tedesco touched the ball compared to Lawrence? How many more times to the wingers fullbacks and halves touch the ball compared to Lawrence?

What doesn't come into your statistical look at this? What I like about your stats is you leave the bits out that don't suit your argument.

How many times does he drop the ball per touch compared to others.

Now THAT would be a far more interesting stat.

Really all those 3 error on the weekend were unforced.Its not like they were around his takes. They hit him in the bred basket. Sure they were not the best passes. However one of them put him through half a hole. He didn't even lay a bit on him.

He is gone as a footballer mate, has been for years. Puts his body not he line every week, doesn't stop being being a liability most weeks.
I don't leave them out mate, I don't have them. There are stats they don't publish, I'm just a Joe, I don't own a stat keeping company. I have what is available on the internet for free to the public.

I have no idea how many touches each player has. I know how many hitups they do, but that's not the same.

If you can get that info I'd gladly discuss it with you.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28441
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 8:52 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 8:47 pm
Eddie wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 5:43 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 1:47 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 12:13 pm
Hospital shmospital!!!!

Gimme a bloody break!!!!

Catch the ball for crying out loud!!!! Hospital pass is hardly a reason to drop the ball FOUR TIMES in a half!!

Sure, they were poor passes. What about the drop from the kick-off??? Did Brooks do that too???

Crikey Brooks has enough detractors (I'm one) and there enough threads where us fans highlight his ineptitude. But fair go, this is about Lawrence and unless those passes are uncatch-able (which they weren't) then a guy who is an 11 year veteran can damn well catch the ball first and if he's got an issue with the poor passing then he would be well within his rights to berate Brooks all he damn well likes.

But, if he's going to drop the ball every single time unless it is lightly placed on his chest then fair suck.
oks should throw less crap passes. You can't just say "the onus is on Lawrence to catch everything".

In 3 rounds Suli and Tedesco have the most errors (6). Lawrence has 5, Moses 4, 5 others have 3 errors. Previously, Lawrence made 12 errors in 2016, 7th worst of the team. In 2015 he made 10 errors, 11th worst. In 2014 he made 25 errors, that was a bad year, worst in the team. He's hardly the consistent ball-dropper, mistake-maker that he is labelled.

Just looking for some perspective in these hard times. All performances need to be viewed in context.
How many times has Tedesco touched the ball compared to Lawrence? How many more times to the wingers fullbacks and halves touch the ball compared to Lawrence?

What doesn't come into your statistical look at this? What I like about your stats is you leave the bits out that don't suit your argument.

How many times does he drop the ball per touch compared to others.

Now THAT would be a far more interesting stat.

Really all those 3 error on the weekend were unforced.Its not like they were around his takes. They hit him in the bred basket. Sure they were not the best passes. However one of them put him through half a hole. He didn't even lay a bit on him.

He is gone as a footballer mate, has been for years. Puts his body not he line every week, doesn't stop being being a liability most weeks.
I don't leave them out mate, I don't have them. There are stats they don't publish, I'm just a Joe, I don't own a stat keeping company. I have what is available on the internet for free to the public.

I have no idea how many touches each player has. I know how many hitups they do, but that's not the same.

If you can get that info I'd gladly discuss it with you.
http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match44290.html

This site may help after games are finished in a day or two it lists receives etc in player stats..V Raiders Brooks 47 Moses 38 Tedesco 25 Rowdy 9..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5565
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:02 pm

Geo. wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 8:52 pm

http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match44290.html

This site may help after games are finished in a day or two it lists receives etc in player stats..V Raiders Brooks 47 Moses 38 Tedesco 25 Rowdy 9..
Cool but does it add them up over a season? One game is... one game. I realise there are all games present from 2017 but I'm not going to go through add them all up, and previous years are missing.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28441
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:10 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:02 pm
Geo. wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 8:52 pm
http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match44290.html

This site may help after games are finished in a day or two it lists receives etc in player stats..V Raiders Brooks 47 Moses 38 Tedesco 25 Rowdy 9..
Cool but does it add them up over a season? One game is... one game. I realise there are all games present from 2017 but I'm not going to go through add them all up, and previous years are missing.
[/quote]

Game by game mate..and I haven't found an archive site just the current footy season...

totalfootystats.com.au go back to 2014 and aren't bad but don't list such things as receives as a total again only in individual games..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 5565
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:32 pm

bigsiro wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 5:16 pm
For me to explain your contradiction we must first both accept the basic premise that when Brooks makes a crappy hospital pass, whoever takes that pass is going to get hammered.

Thus, a player taking said pass with this knowledge IS certainly deemed as putting his body on the line.
Conversely, a player dropping the crappy pass prior to reaching the defensive line is most certainly NOT putting his body on the line. Rather, he is doing quite the opposite.

Ergo, excusing Lawrence for dropping hospital passes while at the same time saying that he puts his body on the line is herein a paradox i.e. a contradictory statement.
So you can only put your body on the line if you catch a pass? This sounds a little too Catch-22 for me, unless there is a joking subtext I have missed.

What if Rowdy is desperately attempting to catch the hospital pass, despite high chance of harm to his person, that doesn't count as putting your body on the line? He literally is putting his body at he defensive line without the football.

User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:49 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 3:18 pm
Newtown wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 2:39 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 12:25 pm
Geo. wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:00 am


Happy seems to use stats as it suits him...here they are meaningless yet when it comes to Aaron and metres after contact.. (a stat not recorded btw) they prove he is also useless..
My argument with Woods is too often he touches the ball in the red zone , doubt too many could argue with that
Woods has trouble passing the ball at all.
Not really true, Woods has been 3rd highest or better for offloads in the team 2014-2017.

They don't publish stats on distribution, but I'd encourage you to watch how many times Woods passes before the line as well, it would be multiple times per match.
Woodseys offloads are garbage. They are usually in high traffic to a player in a worse position who is then under massive pressure. A lot of them hit the ground.

69-05-41
Member
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 9:27 pm

Post by 69-05-41 » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:59 pm

Bricks for hands, too small for second row, no impact in attack or defence. Should have been retired five years ago. Was pathetic in the centres (no lateral movement) before being shifted to the forwards, now just a plodder. Don't care if he is a nice guy, just no longer anywhere near NRL standard.
"It is what it is" - Sharon, 2017

Post Reply