'This is horrible': Andrew Johns takes aim at Wests Tigers after Canberra Raiders rout

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

'This is horrible': Andrew Johns takes aim at Wests Tigers after Canberra Raiders rout

Unread post by willow » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 1:57 pm

Michael Chammas - SMH

Andrew Johns summed it up with 20 minutes remaining. "This is horrible," the eighth Immortal said of the Wests Tigers performance.

And horrible it was. The Tigers capitulated for the second straight week to suffer a humiliating 46-6 defeat to Canberra and leave the joint venture with more questions than answers.

When it goes bad, it's ugly - that's the problem for a club that still has no idea what the future holds given the uncertainty surrounding their coach and their four best players.

After an impressive round-one victory against South Sydney, fans feared the Tigers would struggle to find the money to keep them together.

But after a horror fortnight, the question now could be: should they even bother investing in players who have shown they are consistently inconsistent?

"You sing their praises, the young players for the Tigers, but they have to find the fight," Johns said during Channel Nine's broadcast.

"When things go wrong, they have to hang in and not go for the pretty plays."

That fight was non-existent in Canberra on Sunday.

"Andrew, that's some of the best advice I've ever heard," Phil Gould said of Johns' comments.

"That is a really good point you make. They've got to learn to fight."

There is a suggestion the club is being held to ransom by the big four's agent, but you can't blame him for doing his job and trying to get as much money for his clients. He is not responsible for the future of the Tigers.

The club needs to make a decision. It needs to put its offer on the table, place a deadline on them and let the players make their choices.

If they don't want to play under coach Jason Taylor, the club needs to decide whether it is backing the coach or not.

If they want to leave, let them go. There is no point fighting to keep players who don't want to stay. There are enough players off contract for the Tigers to sign and be competitive next season.

But one way or another, the club needs to make a decision - and soon - and be prepared to deal with the consequences. The waiting game is doing nobody any favours. Clearly.

Asked if the uncertainty surrounding the future of the club was becoming a distraction, Taylor said: "Not at all".

"We had a really good week at training and were ready to go today ... we fell away - and that's not due to anything else that's going on when you're in the game like that. That's just about decision-making, particularly defensively. Then we needed to make better decisions with the ball, in terms of controlling it."

The Tigers started the season with a resounding victory over South Sydney that had fans thinking they were bound for finals football for the first time in five years.

That's the Wests Tigers for you.

Their inability to stem the flow of points before half-time once against cost them a chance at victory despite a strong start against the Raiders in the nation's capital.

"We had really good periods of defending our try line, particularly early in the game," Taylor said.

"Then we come up with defensive errors that are letting tries through in a fashion that is too simple. It's about us getting back in the fight and getting control of the ball so we can make opposition teams tackle us. You have to play some sets and make them tackle - but we just didn't do that."

Skipper Aaron Woods was a dejected figure after the match and admitted his team needed to learn to play tough.

"I thought we were good for the first 30 but silly errors before half-time letting in two tries back to back," Woods said.

"It felt like last week all over again. We're not good enough at the moment to get ourselves out of it. As a team we have to be tougher and stronger through those situations. We just have to work hard through the week and get over it."

The good news - they have seven days to turn it all around.

The bad news - they play the undefeated Melbourne Storm.

"We knew it was going to be a tough start to the season for us and that was compounded by the fact we played Penrith after they copped a big scoreline against them and Canberra the same," Taylor said.

"At least Melbourne had a win, hey?"

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:04 pm

Like Johns or not,you cant say he was wrong...IT WAS HORRIBLE..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:16 pm

If he thought JT was the problem he would have said it.
He knows it's the kids. They have been lavished in praise their entire career without really showing anything.

Their egos are now bigger than their talent.

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:35 pm

Now that Jason Taylor, is no longer the coach, why not get Andrew or Matty Johns in to give wests-tigers some assistance. No doubt the halves would benefit from it.
No harm in asking, the worst reply you'll get is No.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:39 pm

Broses are poor players. Always have been in the top grade. I never fell for Mitch's purple patch at the end of the year. The way he played against the Raiders in rd26 was similar to Warriors rd1. All flash but let in more points then he set up. Brooks is even worse. They are cake decorations and are severely overpaid and entrusted by a coach who clutches at straws.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:41 pm

I have said this before and been shot down but Matty Johns is the far better option than Joey.
Fox sports ran an article last week there Cameron Munster spent a week talking to Matty, when Slater heard that Cameron was going Billy wanted to go too.
Because it was Matty Johns that helped Cooper Cronk in his early days at the Storm.

Tigerheart_returns

Unread post by Tigerheart_returns » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:01 am

I really can't see, apart from Teddy, where Brooks and Moses have actually been able to consistently deliver the goods to the extent of a lot of people considering them superstars of the future..Look at Jay Arrow, Te Maire Martin (let's not go there..), big Lucky Luciano Lelua...and then let's compare, not in terms of the position they play in, but the quality of their play...

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:28 am

stryker wrote:
Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:39 pm
Broses are poor players. Always have been in the top grade. I never fell for Mitch's purple patch at the end of the year. The way he played against the Raiders in rd26 was similar to Warriors rd1. All flash but let in more points then he set up. Brooks is even worse. They are cake decorations and are severely overpaid and entrusted by a coach who clutches at straws.
I'm the same, said it years ago when they let Blake Austin go to put everything behind these 2 muppets.
There show ponnies and need to be let go, who cares about the obsession of bringing every kid through when we get our Cap in order get on the market and buy proven players.
Keep Teddy and Woods the other 2 piss em off and stop players dictating our Club.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 3:11 pm

foreveratiger wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:28 am
stryker wrote:
I'm the same, said it years ago when they let Blake Austin go to put everything behind these 2 muppets.
There show ponnies and need to be let go, who cares about the obsession of bringing every kid through when we get our Cap in order get on the market and buy proven players.
Keep Teddy and Woods the other 2 piss em off and stop players dictating our Club.
You think Ricky would swap Austin for Brooks?
Not a chance. We messed up royally there.

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 8:36 pm

matchball wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 3:11 pm
foreveratiger wrote:
Tue 21 Mar, 2017 9:28 am
stryker wrote:
You think Ricky would swap Austin for Brooks?
Not a chance. We messed up royally there.
big time matchball , our Club wouldn't know talent if they tripped over it :roll:
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

Club Sandwich
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Club Sandwich » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:31 pm

Brooks needs to have a man of the match performance this week to even warrant being in the team. Kicking it out on the full from the kick off is unforgivable, not to mention his abysmal defence. The Raiders swatted him away all day like a mosquito
Tigers tragic since 1980.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Sat 25 Mar, 2017 7:55 am

westTAHger wrote:
Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:35 pm
Now that Jason Taylor, is no longer the coach, why not get Andrew or Matty Johns in to give wests-tigers some assistance. No doubt the halves would benefit from it.
Why not, we could also Matt Elliot if he wanted to become involved at the WT.

IMO he is almost worth as much as the whole squad (except for Tedesco)
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

colmcd
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 58 times

Unread post by colmcd » Sat 01 Apr, 2017 10:22 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Sat 25 Mar, 2017 7:55 am
westTAHger wrote:
Mon 20 Mar, 2017 2:35 pm
Why not, we could also Matt Elliot if he wanted to become involved at the WT.

IMO he is almost worth as much as the whole squad (except for Tedesco)
This is where we could have gotten smart. Matt Elliot could have gone defensive coach with Jason Taylor going totally offensive as he did at Easts. Now Matt as a fulltime coach would have been disastrous, JT clearly was wrong for the task as he does not get defense or fitness.

Now remember who is the worst coach we have ever had? No not Tommy, Alan Jones! He turned a premiere side into a shambles. By putting him as coach you proved that he was all talk, 0 brains and no idea. However how did the guy win in Rugby? He realised that he was good with the halves and hopeless with the forwards. So he got a friend to coach the forwards and gave Australia the world cup.

I think that is what we should do. If Ricky Stewart was available I would have hired him as a defense coach in a second but told him to stay away from the halves (unless we wanted Brooks out of there. then I would put Ricky in charge of the halves). I would be glad to make him head if I had a Matty or Andrew Johns working the halves (Although I believe Johns did some work with Benji..... If only Robert Lui had anger management). We need to work out where Ivan Cleary sucks at as coach and get someone to fill that gap!

Return to “Round 3: Wests Tigers vs Canberra Raiders”