MacDougall wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:32 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:31 pm
MacDougall wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:26 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:16 pm
If the players couldn't deal with the Simona interview , how the hell are they going to deal with this ??

Storm in a canter
I don't think the Simona interview is a genuine excuse. They just can't handle mobile big running teams at all.
When it gets tough they have a fall back , an excuse ....

That's all they need , Melbourne don't hand games over on a platter to anyone

Storm in a canter
Hehe we'll see.
Pick a score Mac

28-12 Storm

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:04 pm

its not what it seems?
i really like our form... sure, sometimes people say silly things, and post nonsensical replies to threads, but i really enjoy the difference in opinion, banter and discussion we have here...

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:10 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:03 pm
MacDougall wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
MacDougall wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:26 pm

I don't think the Simona interview is a genuine excuse. They just can't handle mobile big running teams at all.

Storm in a canter
Hehe we'll see.
Pick a score Mac

28-12 Storm
That is a lot closer than I thought you were saying.

I think we will win 18 to 14.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:19 pm

MacDougall wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:10 pm
happy tiger wrote:
MacDougall wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Storm in a canter
Hehe we'll see.
Pick a score Mac

28-12 Storm

Hope I'm wrong Mac

Could this be like your famous prediction in the Penrith v Melbourne game from a few seasons back ?? :pray:

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:02 am

turnstyle wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:04 pm
its not what it seems?
i really like our form... sure, sometimes people say silly things, and post nonsensical replies to threads, but i really enjoy the difference in opinion, banter and discussion we have here...
I agree with him. Not defending our performances, but 4 of our last 7 games have been against the 2 big teams that dominate us in the forwards.

But I'm less concerned with the results, which I expected, and more about the the gutless lack of ticker once the match got away from us.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:35 am

It's not exactly a revalatiion to say we'll win on Sunday. Most sides do the week after a coach is sacked. The players lift. Plus we're at home. Yes we're playing the benchmark team of the competition, but we always match up well against them and they never really take us to the cleaners like a few other sides. I'd much rather be playing the Storm than a side like the Roosters.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:42 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:26 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm
Love the optimism MacDougall.
If the players show pride on their performance it will be a start and we may well give a good account of ourselves on Sunday.
Just want them to show some guts. That is all. Don't even have to be a good team to do that, just have a red hot go.
This forum puts way too much stock in motivation and effort. You can be as motivated as you like and still get toweled by someone stronger, faster, smarter, more skilful or more disciplined.

There is no one in the NRL as motivated as Kevin Naiquama, the guy is playing for Jesus, he's pumped up on prayer and his ridiculous haircut, he's turned his whole torso into a Sunday school comic, he gets all fired up on hymns come game day and comes screaming out of the line ready to flatten his opposite number.

Then he misses, or gets suckered into the offload.
I think he is concentrating too much on the wrong manuel.

He should be playing for Artie Beetson, Noel Kelly, Blocker and Benji.

He should be getting fired up on Eye on the Tiger.

Leichhardt oval should be Holy Land.
Last edited by Byron Bay Fan on Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:44 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:35 am
It's not exactly a revalatiion to say we'll win on Sunday. Most sides do the week after a coach is sacked. The players lift. Plus we're at home. Yes we're playing the benchmark team of the competition, but we always match up well against them and they never really take us to the cleaners like a few other sides. I'd much rather be playing the Storm than a side like the Roosters.
Another great Myth of Rugby League ..with 11 of the past 25 winning and 1 of the past 7 winning the week after a Coach is sacked..

Anyway we'll win due to the bounce back factor...that's real..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:48 am

Interesting that there are those teams that seem to be able to effortlessly put huge scores on us, whereas others who are often considered superior (Storm) don't appear to have that ability when playing us. And those stats from the end of last year and the first few games this year seem to back that up, with Raiders and Panthers consistently blowing us out of the water (could be a mindset now too among our players).

I don't think those stats are enough to go on just yet, but makes Sunday more interesting.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:52 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:44 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Another great Myth of Rugby League ..with 11 of the past 25 winning and 1 of the past 7 winning the week after a Coach is sacked..

Fox did some analysis on that last night and I was surprised to see that yes, most sides don't actually bounce back after a coach sacking. And further, I think it was most teams with an interim coach for the remainder of the season go on to win less than 50% of their games.

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 9:29 am

I don't care if we win or lose this week against the storm, what I do care about is how much passion they show in the jersey this week.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 9:53 am

Yeh i want some passion too. First from the crowd and then the team..

Surely they fire up!!

Plato

Post by Plato » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:40 am

If you want passion look no further than Tim Grant and Elijah Taylor. OK, we were thrashed by two better teams but one was without Tim and the other without Elijah and having both take the field would have done wonders for our for and against. They have fire in their bellies and are polar opposites to Woods who goes out there smiling and calling everyone brother. The different styles actually compliment each other because Woods remains calm under pressure, but we can't get the job done without death or victory players.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:50 am

Sco77y wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:52 am
Geo. wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 8:44 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Fox did some analysis on that last night and I was surprised to see that yes, most sides don't actually bounce back after a coach sacking. And further, I think it was most teams with an interim coach for the remainder of the season go on to win less than 50% of their games.
I don't agree that it's a myth, in that teams perform better after a coach sacking. No they don't often win, but 11/25 is still 44% winners, and sacked coaches almost always come from struggling sides, not in-form on-top teams. 44% win rate for battlers is pretty good.

Also in terms of winning < 50%, that's also misleading, half the teams every year don't win more than 50%, that just the maths of the comp.

The nitty-gritty in terms of winning is around the 47% mark. Teams can stay around the finals space over many seasons if they win 47-50% consistently. If that drops, Tigers are around 44% at the moment, then they fall right away.

Melbourne have an uncanny win rate, something like 64% all-time, and they cheated remember, nobody else is close. Wayne Bennett himself has a 61.9% win rate, Bellamy has an insane 66.7%... even the currently maligned Dessie Hasler has 59% all-time... but most career coaches hover around 50% if the don't bunker down long-term with a strong and successful club.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:04 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:26 pm
Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm
Love the optimism MacDougall.
If the players show pride on their performance it will be a start and we may well give a good account of ourselves on Sunday.
Just want them to show some guts. That is all. Don't even have to be a good team to do that, just have a red hot go.
This forum puts way too much stock in motivation and effort. You can be as motivated as you like and still get toweled by someone stronger, faster, smarter, more skilful or more disciplined.

There is no one in the NRL as motivated as Kevin Naiquama, the guy is playing for Jesus, he's pumped up on prayer and his ridiculous haircut, he's turned his whole torso into a Sunday school comic, he gets all fired up on hymns come game day and comes screaming out of the line ready to flatten his opposite number.

Then he misses, or gets suckered into the offload.
Don't you reckon though, people here aren't talking about pride/effort = results. We know Canberra are huge and we will struggle with that size.

I think people are talking about fans being able to invest in pride and effort. So you can follow your side more easily through tough times if you can see them giving their all every week. I think most fans would prefer a respectable dogged side than the 40-pt win and 40-pt losses we seem to generate.

Some of the comments harken back to old Balmain and Magpies sides, who lacked a lot of class but were full of fight, close games against superior teams... a bit nostalgic but the idea being you can respect and emotionally invest in an honest, gritty team.

Nobody doubts Kevin Naiqama's effort, problem with Frozone is he just doesn't seem to learn. People don't have much time for stupidity in the game either.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:17 am

The boys sort of kept their pride against the Panthers, they tried the whole game. The Panthers have been great their last 2 games how they stuck at the job. Only losing to a forward pass last weekend.

The only game they did not try was against Raiders Rd 26 last year when they let the attackers run around them in a group doing absolutely nothing including Woodsy. They may have been sick after NZ??

I only cried for the team when RF was dropped when we were chasing finals.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 4:56 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Fri 24 Mar, 2017 11:17 am
The boys sort of kept their pride against the Panthers, they tried the whole game. The Panthers have been great their last 2 games how they stuck at the job. Only losing to a forward pass last weekend.

The only game they did not try was against Raiders Rd 26 last year when they let the attackers run around them in a group doing absolutely nothing including Woodsy. They may have been sick after NZ??

I only cried for the team when RF was dropped when we were chasing finals.
WTF drinking game: BBF shoehorns in a Farah comment, take a shot.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

willow

Post by willow » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 6:27 pm

MacDougall wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:10 pm
happy tiger wrote:
MacDougall wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Storm in a canter
Hehe we'll see.
Pick a score Mac

28-12 Storm

Aside from weak defence and a disgraceful completion rate our biggest problem is scoring points Mac. At the moment our mob couldn't beat an egg so I give us a 1/1000000 chance to beat the Storm - Those guys know how to win the tough ones. We fold like a paper plane.