Our form is not what it seems

MacDougall

Our form is not what it seems

Post by MacDougall » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:07 pm

I would have sacked Taylor too. Hell I made a thread calling for his sacking before the Canberra game. However it isn't because I think we are no chance in 2017. Not even close.

Cast your mind back to 2016. From round 20 to 26 we lost 3 matches. 1 was a loss to the Titans by 1 point. The other were floggings at the hands of the Raiders and the Panthers.

In the past 10 matches we have played we have 5 losses. 4 are to Penrith and Canberra and the other was a 1 point field goal loss.

We match up poorly against mobile flairy teams. We match up well against teams that play to a structure. This is why we always perform well against Melbourne. And teams like Souths, Brisbane, North QLD etc.

Our roster is not much different to last years and neither is theirs. In fact without Vunivalu and Munster they will be even less flamboyant.

We are specials this week. And we should not be written off for the rest of the year.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:26 pm

I do agree with you in a lot of respects.

However other teams have improved. Thats the key difference. I think it was a low standard comp last year where a few teams had the year off.

Look at the Roosters, Parramatta, Dragons etc this year. Massive improvements.

We have not improved, hence teams will probably go past as.

We are the same as last year if not worse.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:42 pm

Hmmm we should have improved by virtue of our players being a year older tbh. I think our complete inability to combat our previous two opponents is obfuscating this. In fact, as much as it is worth not much, we did lose to both of them by less than last time and hung in for longer. We just couldn't hold on.

And tbh team stability usually creates success. North QLD amd Cronulla had minimal turnover in the off season preceding their comp wins.

If we get flogged by Melbourne my tune will change. But I think we will go well.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm

Love the optimism MacDougall.
If the players show pride on their performance it will be a start and we may well give a good account of ourselves on Sunday.
Just want them to show some guts. That is all. Don't even have to be a good team to do that, just have a red hot go.

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:12 pm

Good post
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:24 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm
If the players show pride on their performance it will be a start and we may well give a good account of ourselves on Sunday.
Just want them to show some guts. That is all. Don't even have to be a good team to do that, just have a red hot go.
Correct i can remember some awful Balmain and Magpie teams but they always had a dig and what they lacked in ability they made up for with passion and pride.That is what i want to see for the rest of the season.
I want to see them play for the club and each other so they can walk off knowing they have done their best.If they do that i can ask for nothing more

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:26 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm
This forum puts way too much stock in motivation and effort. You can be as motivated as you like and still get toweled by someone stronger, faster, smarter, more skilful or more disciplined.

There is no one in the NRL as motivated as Kevin Naiquama, the guy is playing for Jesus, he's pumped up on prayer and his ridiculous haircut, he's turned his whole torso into a Sunday school comic, he gets all fired up on hymns come game day and comes screaming out of the line ready to flatten his opposite number.

Then he misses, or gets suckered into the offload.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:26 pm

Yeah I am with you too

My big concern is the centres. This is the one area where I am troubled.

We came into the season expecting Simona (without all the issues that have come out) and a fit Idris instead we have Chee-Kam and Naquiama which is a horrible set of centres but especially horrible when we have the weakest defensive halves (as a pairing - Maloney is worse individually) in the comp and a 18 yr old winger who I think is great but needs a centre with more then 10 FG games inside him

The sooner we can get Jamal back in the team the better we will go

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:37 pm

Yep I agree, I think this game is going to be close.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:43 pm

I think we'll be close this week too. But two floggings in the first three weeks says so much about the type of players we have.
Skill but still no mental toughness.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:45 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:26 pm
Yeah I am with you too

My big concern is the centres. This is the one area where I am troubled.

We came into the season expecting Simona (without all the issues that have come out) and a fit Idris instead we have Chee-Kam and Naquiama which is a horrible set of centres but especially horrible when we have the weakest defensive halves (as a pairing - Maloney is worse individually) in the comp and a 18 yr old winger who I think is great but needs a centre with more then 10 FG games inside him

The sooner we can get Jamal back in the team the better we will go
MCK is really a 2nd row forward imo who is being forced to play center because we have no one else,Kev is rubbish but we all know that.To be honest even though it is a massive ask i would play Suli in the centres to give him experience because that is where i feel he will eventually play(be our best centre too).I said at the start of the season we would finish 12th and i still hope we can but that was with Simona which obviously wont happen.Luckily most of our roster are off contract and we will never get a better chance to get decent players(not soo class but solid players).
2017 is a write off but i expect a large improvement next year if management get a good coach and give him responsibility to get the players he feels we need to go forward.No more kevs rankins malones

willow

Post by willow » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 9:52 pm

Defensively we have not improved, and our bench lacks impact which has been very telling at the 30 minute mark when Penrith and Canberra each ran in 2 tries before halftime. We come into the second half at 6-6 or 2-2 and it's a completely different ball game from being down 18-6.

I think we'll stick with Melbourne for 30 minutes, but after that, the damage will be done yet again.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:09 pm

I have been an unashamed Taylor fan but I support the decision to let him go. It was time for a change as there hasn't sufficient improvement in key areas - mainly defence. To be honest, thats a personnel issue. Our right edge will remain so long as of Nofa or Naiqama are in our squad. Sadly, whilst good attacking footballers, they would struggle defensively in a local A grade comp.

You raise some good points. The disappointing for me over the last two weeks is that in both games we have been the better side for at least 25 mins (35 mins against Canberra) and it has generally been simply mistakes that have brought the other team back into the game.

Somehow our new coach, whoever he is, needs to instil some mongrel in our defence. Thats going to be a very hard job.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:16 pm

If the players couldn't deal with the Simona interview , how the hell are they going to deal with this ??

Storm in a canter

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:26 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:16 pm
If the players couldn't deal with the Simona interview , how the hell are they going to deal with this ??

Storm in a canter
I don't think the Simona interview is a genuine excuse. They just can't handle mobile big running teams at all.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:31 pm

MacDougall wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:26 pm
happy tiger wrote:

Storm in a canter
I don't think the Simona interview is a genuine excuse. They just can't handle mobile big running teams at all.
When it gets tough they have a fall back , an excuse ....

That's all they need , Melbourne don't hand games over on a platter to anyone

Storm in a canter

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:32 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:31 pm
MacDougall wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Storm in a canter

Storm in a canter
Hehe we'll see.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:57 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 23 Mar, 2017 10:31 pm
MacDougall wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Storm in a canter

Storm in a canter
Big change in the media this week,.
the players are on the nose and firmly in the sight of the hacks.
They'll be afforded no excuses and I think they know it.