Moses

greatodensraven

Re: Moses

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 7:31 am

Nofo's disallowed try is a move that should definitely get more of a run & on the left wing also (without the obstruction of course). I don't think anyone in the entire ground saw that coming as we were all expecting another sweep play to Teddy who is normally triple marked these days. Nofo & Suli are such strong runners of the ball, bring them back on the inside for a change and they're bound to cause some havoc.

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 7:48 am

wd in perth wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 2:12 am
yeti wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:12 am
One of the main problems I think is that both halves know there is no attacking talent in the centres. Once the ball leaves their hands, unless it goes to Teddy, it's 'play over'. Give them at least one creative dangerous centre and we might see a different performance. As it is, however, both halves are really looking very average. (I did think Brookes was much better today than in his previous efforts, however. Mind you, it's all relative).
It seems almost insane that these blokes might be earning around $15,000-$20,000 a week next year! Bloody hell!
Almost??????
It's utter madness!
I was going off my head watching that game. Those blokes on the left side of the field hardly saw the ball. Time and time again moses and Brooks went to Kev and Nofa against Addo-Carr. They've got one of the best hole runners in the game in Lawrence and outside him Suli - a potential star and frankly, Chee Kam runs hard too, and they rarely used them. :brick:
Yep agree, doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome, is insanity not madness.

Moses ran the same play to the right, passes the ball to Kevi and nada. Once just once go to our left. They attacked JAC because they perceive him to be a defensive liability, he now plays on the wing of a team that can defend across the park, he is no longer a defensive problem.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 8:37 am

Too many cut out balls from Mitch,sometimes he jusy needs to get it through the hands.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:24 am

didn't watch the game

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:26 am

When we needed. Leadership he wasn't there... Storm were there to be taken and even though it rarely looked like it, we were in that game it was there to be taken.
Too many poor options from Moses it was his ideal chance yesterday to really tell the NRL world... "im here"

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:59 am

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:26 am
When we needed. Leadership he wasn't there... Storm were there to be taken and even though it rarely looked like it, we were in that game it was there to be taken.
Too many poor options from Moses it was his ideal chance yesterday to really tell the NRL world... "im here"
And this guy was supposed to be one of the reasons why we up-ended Farah out of the place. Poor Taylor would have been spewing if he saw all those runs out of dummy half - everyone was guilty of indulging in such sinful behaviour.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:05 am

I have a different take on the last two games after watching them twice. Forget the second half as the forwards were dominated AGAIN! You cannot expect the attack to shine in that situation - Moses, Brooks and Teddy cannot work miracles when going backwards.

Teddy is below form because the forwards are not standing up and the opposition are studying him and to a degree have worked him out. Needs some new game plans and to try something different.

Brooks whilst he has improved his defence (and he certainly needed to) makes so many fundamental errors for a "playmaker." E.g. his short kicking game is too hard, good kicks into the "in goal" that were over the dead ball line before possible scorers could get there and so gave away 7 tackles. Short passes on occasions are too hard - twice against Canberra Rowdy had no chance to take bullet passes when he is only one to two metres away. On numerous occasions he takes the wrong option, goes himself when there is an overlap on the left, or goes out to the left when there is nothing on (crowds the backline) instead of going himself. A lot to learn this boy (could be good) but have we got the time and the large amount of cash to persist with his potential.

This brings us to Moses - no one can say he doesn't give it his all, he is everywhere in defence, the number of big guys he pulls down for his size is astounding. Sure he gets brushed occasionally but his usual take is to hang on stopping the offload till someone can get there and help. Anyone who says he can't defend is not watching, he is much better than half the halves in the comp. He is fearless in running to the line and some of his passes could be better, granted - however some of the passes he receives are shockers. He definitely needs a more level headed partner, JLJ is an example but a JLJ that is a bit quicker, good kicking game and a good reader of the game (that person is not Bird by the way imo).

So I am sure "the new long term coach" (if he is good) will sort that out, in the meantime we will have more of the same, more ups and downs etc.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:40 am

Neither Brooks nor Moses know how to structure sets, it's so clear on the field they just play every tackle like it's the lone opportunity to score.

It reminds me of pro pool, the guys who cannot think ahead, cannot think of where the white is going to end up, they just worry about the next pot. That's fine if you want to amble around at a pub, but at a professional level you have to be thinking 2-3 plays in advance.

Do you see Broses pointing at players where they want the footy to go? Do our players ever seem to know when the tactical kick is coming, or the bomb, or the long-ranger? Melbourne scored two long-range tries today not just because of mental lapses in defence, but because of shoddy kicking that gave Melbourne the football without pressure and on the front-foot.

And then occasionally we do get a repeat set and the boys don't seem to know what to do about it, almost in shock.

And for God's sake Mitch Moses will you look at where you are passing the football. His poor backs getting such poor distribution, Tedesco hardly getting anything decent, the return of passes out the back. It's like Moses has a play in his head and he executes regardless, which is what Benji used to do, except that Benji had such talent that he could still pull half the plays off.

I would not want to touch half the stuff Broses dish out, constant RPA stuff.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 8:32 pm

Remember in the off season a couple of years ago I was saying get a Maloney type to partner Brooks because Moses won't achieve much and many shot me down .

He is mainly responsible for pushing Teddy wider in attack and squeezing Brooks out of it.

And a very poor kicking game.

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:16 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:24 am
didn't watch the game
Please, do tell us more.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:08 am

shakey4d wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:16 pm
tsjonathan wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:24 am
didn't watch the game
Please, do tell us more.
weeding the garden

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:31 am

I would say Broses would have 4-56 weeks under the new coach to show they have it what it takes to lead a team before he makes a decision on whether to offer them a contract or not. It's not as if other clubs are really queuing up with big money offers for the most out of form halves in the entire comp.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:36 am

Magpie Magic wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 8:32 pm
Remember in the off season a couple of years ago I was saying get a Maloney type to partner Brooks because Moses won't achieve much and many shot me down .

He is mainly responsible for pushing Teddy wider in attack and squeezing Brooks out of it.

No I don't remember when you said that, but obviously you are a genius in hindsight. What predictions for 2-3 years from now?

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:43 am

Magpie Magic wrote:

I remember you saying that - I thought you were incorrect then and I think you are incorrect now.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 1:45 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:36 am
Magpie Magic wrote:

No I don't remember when you said that, but obviously you are a genius in hindsight. What predictions for 2-3 years from now?
Predictions 2 years from now.

Only Woods and Tedesco to be stars.

Nofo, Taylor and Sue and Brooks with a decent 5/8 might be useful.

The rest will struggle at other clubs.
Or we will struggle with them.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 1:57 pm

Russell wrote:
Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:43 am
Magpie Magic wrote:

I remember you saying that - I thought you were incorrect then and I think you are incorrect now.
Better if I'm wrong for our team.
But he is too overpowering without being a good reader.
Perhaps with a champion half.

But the Brooks Moses bet has already failed us because they needed to work together at a high level at slightly below market rates and it failed.
Failed JT as well.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 10:36 pm

He was the only bloke chasing the two runaway tries all the way - plus it seems to me he's got more heart than our entire pack .
He's well worth keeping.

Trisdar

Post by Trisdar » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 5:42 pm

Needs to hold the ball more, take the tackle