Tigers show heart in defeat

willow

Post by willow » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:20 pm

Sun 26 Mar, 2017, 8:50pm
By Martin Gabor, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

It mightn't have ended in victory, but interim Wests Tigers coach Andrew Webster says he enjoyed his first game in charge of the club despite blowing a 14-point lead to fall 22-14 to the Storm at Leichhardt Oval.

After a difficult week off the field that saw Jason Taylor replaced as head coach, the Tigers showed plenty of grit to open up a commanding first-half lead before the Storm fought back to claim their fourth win of the season.

‌Webster – who watched the game from the sidelines – said the attitude of his players washed away any possible nerves that could have eaten away at him during his first game in charge.

"I wasn't nervous because the boys relaxed me with their attitude. It hasn't been easy for them, but they came here today and the way they handled themselves was fantastic," Webster said after the game.

"The mood they had in the changing room and the focus they had made me feel really comfortable and relaxed.

"I suppose I'll look back on it and it will be enjoyable, but I just feel gutted for the boys. They deserved more today because they put a lot into it. We're not making excuses – we can do a lot better – but I'm proud of them."

The Tigers played the sort of footy that everyone knows they're capable of with their little men wreaking havoc around Melbourne's ruck, but a couple of injuries either side of half-time halted their momentum.

Bench forward Joel Edwards was forced from the field seven minutes after coming on having collected what appeared to be a high shot that directly led to a crucial Storm four-pointer right on half-time.

Edwards was joined in the sheds by halfback Luke Brooks who injured his hamstring while trying to chase down Cheyse Blair who scored the first of Melbourne's two long-range tries in the second half.

"We were excellent. We played with plenty of energy and we were playing together, that's for sure. I'm really proud of the boys' effort," Webster said.

"We wanted to use four subs at half-time but we got that head knock right on half-time and that left us with three subs. We lost 'Brooksy' in that second half to a hamstring injury and we just lost our energy a little bit.

"The boys didn't stop trying one little bit. They had those long-range tries on us when we were transitioning in defence and we just slackened off for that one play with our energy and it cost us.

"We spoke in the changing rooms about a few things that we could have changed and we would have come out winners. The performance was there and they wanted to play for each other and we take a lot of positives out of it."

Skipper Aaron Woods said he was proud of the way his side had handled the off-field drama but acknowledged the big challenge was to back that passion up on a weekly basis.

"We played with a lot of energy early on and we just wanted to play through the middle and try to beat them with our energy," Woods said.

"It's easy to get up for these sorts of games, but it's how we're going to react next week when it probably dies down a little bit [that matters] so we've just got to work hard for each other.

"Things get thrown at you – you get a few curveballs – but that's life in general. Things aren't always going to go your way, but it's about how you react in those situations.

"At the moment we've got a few curveballs coming our way, but it's about getting the boys out of this situation and the way I can lead them."

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:28 pm

I know we lost today,but the effort was better and we did seem to improve on not getting flogged by 30/40 points by the end of the match....

What I would like to say is,I'm very happy for Webster to be the interim coach until the new appointment is made,he seems very level headed and has a great attitude....I wish him all the success in the future..,,
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:37 pm

Webster who are you trying to kid

We were gone mentally and physically when Brooks did his hammy

Heart , we can't be accused of that ,ever

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:45 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:37 pm

Overall I think the team's effort was very good. Certainly better than the last two matches and we have scope for more improvement. We can only do the best with what we have.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:04 pm

Sure we had decent line speed early but that was easily the worst 40 minutes of footy I have ever seen from the Storm. 7 errors and five penalties from memory.

A decent team would have put 30+ on them that first half.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:07 pm

Newtown wrote:
Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:45 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:37 pm

Overall I think the team's effort was very good. Certainly better than the last two matches and we have scope for more improvement. We can only do the best with what we have.
Newtown I have always respected your opinion

But we had 69% of possession in the first half and within 10 minutes into the 2nd half we had resorted to going one out and looked like a bunch of cows chewing their cuds in the middle of Leichhardt

No excuses , we hadn't done tonnes of defence , we can't cope , when any side at NRL holds the ball for any length of time

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:08 pm

I think happy the sad thing is - that was showing heart from a Tigers point of view. We showed heart for 60 minutes which is good enough for us.

Some within our walls see that as a courageous performance.

The likes of Bellemy would see as a gutless display to give up a 14 point lead.

TJL

Post by TJL » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:21 pm

With a six to one penalty count in the first half they should have been up by thirty. They'll be lucky to beat Newcastle - wooden spoon favourites for me.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:23 pm

I mean it was better than the last two weeks. So thats a plus.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:27 pm

Its a hard one because I thought it was going to be carnage and it wasnt. If it is generally agreed that this squad overall is not to the standard of other squads ie the likes of Melbourne then to say they played with no heart when they only lost by eight, thats not what I witnessed otherwise they would have put 40 on us.
They are simply not as good as Melbourne and if we jagged a win it would have only ever been, just. Edwards getting knocked out was a critical moment and swung the game. It happens .

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:33 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:08 pm
I think happy the sad thing is - that was showing heart from a Tigers point of view. We showed heart for 60 minutes which is good enough for us.

Some within our walls see that as a courageous performance.

The likes of Bellemy would see as a gutless display to give up a 14 point lead.
That wasn't showing heart , that was having a glut of possession and a 6-8 point breeze behind us

Melbourne couldn't play that bad again if they tried

Honestly unless we have a game where we win the possession 60-40 and the other side isn't a good defensive side with a powder puff pack we will be flat out winning 3 more games this season

And when you see our interim coach talking it up .... same ol same ol

None of us should accept this garbage anymore

Tell them if they can't manage 9 more wins in 2017 EVERY member tells them to stick it

Go And Pascoe told us they won't accept mediocrity anymore when sacking Taylor , lets tell Go and Pascoe we want them to be accountable for this club and the teams results

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:04 pm

We bustled Melbourne into error in the 1st 40...the speed of the line and contact was the best we have had this year they simply can't maintain it for 80...

The No-Try and Melbourne Try in the space of 2 mins was a huge turning point..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Mashies

Post by Mashies » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:16 pm

Please... The only reason we didnt lose by 30+ was the Storm playing their worst game in years. Tigers looked reasonable for 30 mins for the 3rd week in a row and then nothing...

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:35 pm

A loss is a loss.
We simply aren't good enough for the full 80.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:53 pm

I'd say we'd be pretty down after that loss, there's no doubt we played with more heart but look what the result was, the Storm couldn't of played any worse and we still couldn't beat them.
I honestly don't know where we go from here, if we don't show up as committed as we we're for most of today next week we'll get lapped.

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:00 am

Mashies wrote:
Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:16 pm
Please... The only reason we didnt lose by 30+ was the Storm playing their worst game in years. Tigers looked reasonable for 30 mins for the 3rd week in a row and then nothing...
It's probable the Storm were off their game 10%. But I would rather give our guys some credit for having a real dig in the first half. The defensive line was fast and there was some teffific contact.
No one can be happy with our second half performances though. They have been terrible. Our centres are pedestrian and being down two subs really hurt. I would definitely bring Idris in to the team in place of Kev. He's just not NRL standard in either attack or defence. And Chee Kam is only marginally better.
These guys would make great depth players, but starters they are not.
Whoever does get the coaching gig has an enormous challenge on his hands.

laufoofan

Post by laufoofan » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:25 am

Don't kid yourself, our cattle is not up to what is required in the NRL, nearer to park football. We need to face up to it, we are just not good enough. Let's not pretend that we have a football team, we don't.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:29 am

I don't know if I'm reading in to this too much, but I don't like that he says the players' attitudes helped calm his nerves. After everything that has gone on in the last week, I'd expect the change rooms to be quiet, focused and serious, and for a debut coach to be running on nervous energy. The only way I can think he could have relaxed is if there were jokes or a general light-hearted atmosphere.
Again, not a professional NRL player (though not many Tigers could lay claim to that in any sense outside of name alone) and have no idea of the dressing room dynamics, but it just doesn't sit with me.