Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:46 am
old man tiger wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:20 am
jirskyr wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:14 am
Eddie wrote:
Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:55 pm
Thats embarrassing really.

Melbourne played as badly as they could have.

Anyone encouraged by that display today I think will be in for a rude shock next round.
I think that's short-sighted Eddie. The Tigers got on top of the stats because of the way we played - many of the Melbourne errors were forced ones, not just dropsies. Tigers played themselves into the front, but overall lacked that execution.
I have to disagree with the first paragraph. We had massive amounts of ball amongst the Panthers and raiders early. The fact that we didn't score in those games sealed our fate.

Yesterday we corrected that and at least got over the line, but we still don't have anything more that 35 minutes of footy in us, which is pathetic from the rest of your post I guess we agree on this)
I don't think you are wrong but I wasn't talking about the Panthers or Raiders games. I believe yesterday the Tigers' energy in the first 20 got us on top, forced dropped balls, strong defence and good contact. I feel we got the better of the stats because we played fairly well for 39 minutes, which is a 10 minute improvement at least, and we scored points, which you are right we failed to do. It is all a small step in the right direction.

Second half fell away AGAIN and until that's fixed, we won't trouble many sides. But I think Melbourne played badly because we started well, we forced that bad play... Melbourne aren't a team to come out and drop ball without contact, throw forward passes, kick out on the full... they don't do that stuff, you have to take the game to them to force errors. And I think for about 40 mins total we did that, we really troubled them.
All fair points. I'm more disappointed today because I feel we really had to win yesterday given our start.

Plato

Post by Plato » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:10 pm

I put that loss down to retention and recruitment. Nothing against Suli who is coming along nicely, but what do you think the result would have been had we kept Ado-Carr for the same money? Bellamy has an eye for talent and value for money while we obviously don't. Great stats, but we were lacking the attacking flair that won so many games for us in the past.

marzie

Post by marzie » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:19 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:16 am
Christ how do you lose a game with those numbers?
By letting through 2 length of the field tries

razor7

Post by razor7 » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:22 pm

All Moses does is put up useless bombs which are so predictable they are easily diffused . Thats pretty much all he did last year as well. Brooks kicking game at least has some variety. Compare them with Cronk and Smith- well you can't.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:47 pm

razor7 wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:22 pm
All Moses does is put up useless bombs which are so predictable they are easily diffused . Thats pretty much all he did last year as well. Brooks kicking game at least has some variety. Compare them with Cronk and Smith- well you can't.
Yes there was variety - some of Brooks' kicks dribbled over the deadball line and others slammed into the advertising hoardings.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 2:06 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:18 am
Yossarian wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:16 am
Christ how do you lose a game with those numbers?
Only when you play the team that is arguably the bench mark in the NRL.

BTW, Happy Birthday
Correct. Defensively Melbourne are the team to beat, and great sides like Melbourne always find a way to win the close ones when things go against them. The biggest thing that hurt the Tigers was the lazy ruck defence in the second half. 2 missed tackles led to two 80 metre tries, 12 points. And that was the game right there.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 2:15 pm

Plato wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:10 pm
I put that loss down to retention and recruitment. Nothing against Suli who is coming along nicely, but what do you think the result would have been had we kept Ado-Carr for the same money? Bellamy has an eye for talent and value for money while we obviously don't. Great stats, but we were lacking the attacking flair that won so many games for us in the past.
You really reckon JAC would have made the difference if he was playing for us?

You truly reckon JAC is a better long-term option than Moses Suli?

Cheyse Blair is the guy who broke the game open and he's a fairly modest footballer.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 2:21 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 2:15 pm
Plato wrote:
Mon 27 Mar, 2017 1:10 pm
You really reckon JAC would have made the difference if he was playing for us?

You truly reckon JAC is a better long-term option than Moses Suli?

Cheyse Blair is the guy who broke the game open and he's a fairly modest footballer.
Also, sorry for quoting myself, I think it's a myth that Craig Bellamy has an eye for talent over other coaches. Melbourne have churned through just the same number of nobodies and hopefuls as other clubs, I wrote a list out at one time, a list of players who only managed a handful of games or had good careers post-Melbourne.

What Bellamy is clearly very good at doing is setting expectations that individuals can meet, and coaching them to play as a team. The team performance allows individuals to achieve their best consistently, and for guys like Jaiman Lowe or Ben Roberts that's actually not so great a level, but overall the team gets the job done.

Also they have Smith, Cronk and Slater - can Melbourne just replace these guys in 4 or 5 years with equal talent, or will they return to the pack with a good team but lacking that elite killer blow?

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 2:25 pm

2 things you'll never see any other team let happen.

1. Greg Inglis walk over the try line on one leg to score.
2. Cheyse Blair run straight through the ruck and 90m to score.

Only the Tigers can let that happen.