First Grade Live Game Thread *Spoilers Here*

Danos

Re: First Grade Live Game Thread *Spoilers Here*

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:17 pm

southerntiger wrote:
X-Pac wrote:
southerntiger wrote: Dunno. I just think he is an awful fullback and would be happy to see anybody else wear the #1 jumper.. except for Fitzy.
Tim has some big problems under the high ball - no doubt. But it didnt sound like he dropped many today. Moltzen is actually an excellent fullback in attack. It is his defence that needs some serious work.
no way ,lol last week moltzen driffted side ways for 40 metres just so he could link up with ryan who wanted none of it lol
Moltzen doesnt like to run the ball back at all its like his affraid of contact

though next week he might get another shot and if he does hopefully Blake Lazarus gets the halfback spot :)
For those that think Tim is a HB, I would suggest re-watching our last ten games from last year as I did yesterday. I didnt see Tim at first receiver once.[/quote]

He doesn't need to play 1st receiver with Robbie & Benji running the side. As long as we have Benji and Robbie, we dont need a genuine #7. Moltzen doesn't need to play a typical HB's game. He needs to be in the squad somewhere, he is a liability at FB and playing in the halves is what suits him best.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:26 pm

Danos wrote:
He doesn't need to play 1st receiver with Robbie & Benji running the side. As long as we have Benji and Robbie, we dont need a genuine #7. Moltzen doesn't need to play a typical HB's game. He needs to be in the squad somewhere, he is a liability at FB and playing in the halves is what suits him best.
I have no problem with that analysis. Although I think it will prevent the Benji/Moltzen combo that works so well - Benji will be on the left and Moltz on the right so I think less chance of seeing them do those great inside balls.

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:26 pm

X-Pac wrote:
Citizen Tiger wrote:
IronTiger wrote:I think considering our injuries we have done pretty well to lose by less than 2 converted tries.

That's delusional. It's 30 degrees and the Roosters took their foot off the pedal, simple. The stark reality is that we have a very real defensive problem, which has shown no signs of improvement over a period of 3-4 years. Just consider the facts :- Two games, conceded 66 points and 11 tries, against two teams with limited attacking options. Smith had far less material to work with and his game plan was outstanding. I don't know if Simmons is the defence coach or not, but players aren't talking that much in defence, are not nominating their man, sometimes slide, sometimes use inside shoulder and sometimes just look bewildered. WTF are we wasting S Folkes knowledge on strength and conditioning ?
last year we were the 6th best defesnive team in the league ;)

66 points in two matches. There's no way to sweeten that stat....

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:29 pm

Tigerdave wrote:was Moltzen that bad in the number 7 Southern?

might have to re-watch the games
Dave he wasnt bad, he just wasnt a halfback. All his good work was as a support player (i.e. classic fullback work).

Moltzen's attacking game reminds me very much of Matthew Ridge. His slice and pass last week against Manly was very Ridge like.

If Moltzen's defence at fullback is too much of a liability then yes I would agree with shifting him to 7. But I do think that move lessens our options in attack.

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:30 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Danos wrote:
I have no problem with that analysis. Although I think it will prevent the Benji/Moltzen combo that works so well - Benji will be on the left and Moltz on the right so I think less chance of seeing them do those great inside balls.
Its a standout because Benji is the only play that Moltzen follows and supports from FB. But Tim can do some wonderful things on his own on the right side of the field.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:31 pm

the benji/moltz combo worked great ,,, so why the change ....
moltz looks terrible wheb he runs the ball back and will slow down just to give it to his winger regardless of whether his winger is in a better position.....i said it last week ,,, we will get the same as last year until timmy puts moltz into his right position ....

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:33 pm

Danos wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
Danos wrote:
Its a standout because Benji is the only play that Moltzen follows and supports from FB. But Tim can do some wonderful things on his own on the right side of the field.
I didnt see that in the games I re-watched. Admittedly I didnt re-watch the raiders game which was one of Tim's better games from memory.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:36 pm

tiger tigers wrote:the benji/moltz combo worked great ,,, so why the change ....
moltz looks terrible wheb he runs the ball back and will slow down just to give it to his winger regardless of whether his winger is in a better position.....i said it last week ,,, we will get the same as last year until timmy puts moltz into his right position ....
TT

How will they combine when they will play on different sides of the field?

The best game our team played last year was against the Dogs. Where was Moltzen? Fullback. Now I am not saying that is conclusive as an answer to where he should play, but it does indicate that the "we can only win with Tim at HB" argument is pretty much crap.

From the games I re-watched (I cant believe I am saying this) Morris was a better halfback than Moltzen.

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:37 pm

southerntiger wrote:I didnt see that in the games I re-watched. Admittedly I didnt re-watch the raiders game which was one of Tim's better games from memory.
Which games did you rewatch? The ones where we still had John Morris plugged in on the right side of the field and Moltzen playing FB?

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:38 pm

Woeful effort.

Last weeks final 20 mins masked all of our (obvious) problems. (And Manly capitulated again today)

Woeful goal line defense.

Horrible go forward when Galloway is off.

Cayless is finished. He's just not a first grader any more. He was too slow for the UK comp with all his injuries and he's yards behind the pace out here.

Our left side D...........LUI-AYSHFORD-FITZ / DANIELLA was slaughtered today. 38 straight points down there and our coach doesn't even react.

2010 = more of the same unless we make huge changes in our defensive attitude. (It's been 5 years of the same though so maybe we just aren't capable of goal line D )

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:40 pm

southerntiger wrote:but it does indicate that the "we can only win with Tim at HB" argument is pretty much crap.
I've never said that BTW. The best halfback at the club is Lazarus.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:40 pm

Danos wrote:
southerntiger wrote:I didnt see that in the games I re-watched. Admittedly I didnt re-watch the raiders game which was one of Tim's better games from memory.
Which games did you rewatch? The ones where we still had John Morris plugged in on the right side of the field and Moltzen playing FB?
I rewatched every game (from Rd 17) apart from the Raiders and Cowboys victories. Interestingly, my memory was that Tim was more involved in our crucial plays than he actually was.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:43 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:Woeful effort.

Last weeks final 20 mins masked all of our (obvious) problems. (And Manly capitulated again today)

Woeful goal line defense.

Horrible go forward when Galloway is off.

Cayless is finished. He's just not a first grader any more. He was too slow for the UK comp with all his injuries and he's yards behind the pace out here.

Our left side D...........LUI-AYSHFORD-FITZ / DANIELLA was slaughtered today. 38 straight points down there and our coach doesn't even react.

2010 = more of the same unless we make huge changes in our defensive attitude. (It's been 5 years of the same though so maybe we just aren't capable of goal line D )
Who was the cause of the weakness on that side? Or was it a poor communication thing? BTW dont they play on the right side???

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:45 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Danos wrote:
I rewatched every game (from Rd 17) apart from the Raiders and Cowboys victories. Interestingly, my memory was that Tim was more involved in our crucial plays than he actually was.
I'm not saying he's a world beater at halfback, but he played his part well. And what else did we have in those games? A genuine fullback in Shannon Gallant.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:48 pm

Gallant actually wasnt as good as I remembered either. His positioning was extremely weak (esp the Manly game) at times. His effort on Watmough at the end was amateur hour.

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:48 pm

southerntiger wrote:I rewatched every game (from Rd 17) apart from the Raiders and Cowboys victories. Interestingly, my memory was that Tim was more involved in our crucial plays than he actually was.
You seem to be getting carried away and thinking that I reckon Moltzen is an "awesome halfback, best in the world, none better at the club". I just think if we want a better balance in attack and defence, get Moltzen in the #7 jumper and find a genuine fullback.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:51 pm

Danos wrote:
southerntiger wrote:I rewatched every game (from Rd 17) apart from the Raiders and Cowboys victories. Interestingly, my memory was that Tim was more involved in our crucial plays than he actually was.
You seem to be getting carried away and thinking that I reckon Moltzen is an "awesome halfback, best in the world, none better at the club". I just think if we want a better balance in attack and defence, get Moltzen in the #7 jumper and find a genuine fullback.
[/quote]

Danos I dont think we disagree at all. Your view on Moltz at 7 seems very fair. i would agree that a genuine FB is probably now needed.

Danos

Post by Danos » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 5:52 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Danos wrote:
Danos I dont think we disagree at all. Your view on Moltz at 7 seems very fair. i would agree that a genuine FB is probably now needed.[/quote]

Yeah fair enough. We'll just have to wait and see what Sheens does against the Eels.