Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 65

RatedRKO

Re: Moltzen

Post by RatedRKO » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:02 pm

hammertime wrote:Does anyone think he looks really nervous at fullback?

That, and he really doesn't like to run at the defense.

Any ideas what it could be? Fear of his head getting injured? or maybe he has dropped some confidence after Sheens picking Lui over him at half?
I reckon it's a fear of hurting his elbow again, didn't that put him out for a fair while?(Which iirc he needed needles to play with)

willow

Post by willow » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:02 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Eddie wrote:He is a liability. Positional play is very ordinary. Not showing enough courage or conviction is attacking the ball and getting our sets started. Ive always though he was a liability at fullback and it is showing
Some of his efforts in defence were an absolute disgrace, if you go out there you have to put your body on the line and he just doesn't do it.

That's a real shame to say as I'm questioning his effort, but it has to be said. He needs to harden up, drink some concrete.
His defence at the back is poor on the Tigers line, as is his positional play at times. I think he'll be retained at the back for the next few games before Tuqiri moves there. We need Tuiaki back on the wing before I'd do this though.

badger

Post by badger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:19 pm

He is far to valuable to the combination of our attach to remain at fullback. He gave away at least one try through sub standard positioning today and I think he is still a bit sus under the high ball. IMO lote at fulback running through holes made by marshal is something to get excited about with Ryan and Tuiaki (when he returns of course) on the wings. Moltzen had a real nice combination going with Marshall last season and we won a whole bunch of games in a row with him there why he was ever moved from there is a mystery to me. Of course since Hodgo left us we have struggled to fill his shoes. He was like two players in one. An origin fulback and also a goal kicker. Unless we can fill both those rolls its going to tough for us.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:20 pm

I am happy for Tuqiri to move to fullback right now. The last two weeks have been shocking from Moltzen and he definitely needs to move elsewhere. When TNT returns I am not certain that it won't be Moltzen that misses out based on current form

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:22 pm

tuqiri is wasted on the wing - should be fullback at least
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

wtffl2005

Post by wtffl2005 » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:27 pm

when they played good last year moltzen was 7

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:30 pm

simonthetiger wrote:I think we are a diferent team when Moltz is at seven.

We tried something.

It hasnt worked.
Now this is my number one problem with Sheens - how long will it take for him to admit its not working and change things?

At no stage am I suggesting that putting Moltzen at #7 will fix all our woes and win us matches, however its clear he is better for us in the #7 than the #1. But will we go for years on end before its changed? Just like we went three years with Morris in the halves?

Over to you Tim.

mattc78

Post by mattc78 » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:31 pm

Tuquiri for me at Fullback at least he would run straight and not just pass to the winger like Moltzen does,Moltzen needs to go to half now the combo with Marshall is to good not to be in the halfs, as for today its our defence that scares me the most because we can obviosly score points, if we get our defence correct we are a serios threat.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 9:36 pm

mattc78 wrote:Tuquiri for me at Fullback at least he would run straight and not just pass to the winger like Moltzen does,Moltzen needs to go to half now the combo with Marshall is to good not to be in the halfs, as for today its our defence that scares me the most because we can obviosly score points, if we get our defence correct we are a serios threat.
is moltzen still doing that?
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

G. Strombolli

Post by G. Strombolli » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 9:21 am

No. I can't recall a single game where he has impressed me when at fullback and he was very poor yesterday. I like him as a footy player, he just isn't a fullback.

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 9:42 am

Moltzen is a special player but its simple,he is not the tigers best fullback.
Mulleney or Lazurus should be the number 1 until Tuqiri is ready

When Moltzen went to 1/2 back our attack sprung to life again.It's so blatantly obvious that we perform better when Moltzen is first or second reciever.Surely Sheens this.

Do the right thing please Mr Sheens :pray:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:13 am

Moltzen looks afraid of the contact. Even Benji was taking on the line yesterday and showing that you don't need to be a behemoth to dent the line if your footwork is good.

For mine Moltzen is terrific when the opposition aren't set and he has holes to run in. He is a great hole runner. That is why I think Sheens is using him at FB.

However as everyone has said his defensive efforts at fullback are generally poor. I think Tuqiri is the logical choice once he can prove he has 80 mins of fitness.

Personally I think Moltzen should be our #14. Forget having some mug winger on the bench like Fitzy or Daniella. Keep Lui at HB, obviously TNT comes back asap and Tuqiri to fullback. Moltzen can come on once the game has settled and work on those attacking combinations that clearly work. He is also then cover for any position on the backs, which Sheens seems intent on carrying on every bench.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:25 am

Your all missing the point yes Moltzen has had a shaky start to the year but you could put Gary Jack in his prime at fullback and Scott Prince at halfback and it still doesn't help our DEFENSE which is embarrassing.
Our problem is'nt scoring points it's stopping teams from scoring.

Alwaysownyou

Post by Alwaysownyou » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 12:33 pm

He is playing like a petulant child.

It is obvious in his play that he feels he should be the halfback, and he has played poorly on every occasion this year, including the Foundation Cup.

He should be our first choice halfback and his game should turn around, but, given the way he has dogged it so far this year, I'd give him 2 weeks in State Cup to drum it into his head that no man is bigger than the team collective.
MOTH and proud.

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 1:49 pm

No. He can't read the play at fullback. I liked him at 7, it seemed to work, but I think Lui is gonna be a better halfback then him.
Why not just do a straight swap and stick Moltzen on wing till tuiki returns. Lazarus to be given a shot at 7.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 2:15 pm

tiger tigers wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
stryker wrote:

Not true....when he is up in the front line he is dominating. He is like jeckle and hyde with those positions.
We will have to disgaree on this one mate. My video analysis yesterday confirmed my opinion that Moltz is far from a genuine HB. That being said, he is a good footy player and we need him in the side. He doesnt appear to have the overall game for fullback. Time to shift him to the 7.
what is your definition of a genuine halfback?

Blake Lazarus

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 6:29 pm

Alwaysownyou wrote:He is playing like a petulant child.

It is obvious in his play that he feels he should be the halfback, and he has played poorly on every occasion this year, including the Foundation Cup.
i said something very similar to this in the "thoughts on the game" thread. i said it was like he was sabotaging his own game so he can play half back.

i have long been a fan of moltzen and think he has actually been a good fullback and having him chime in like he did last week worked very well with the set up they had. although i wouldnt question the courage of pretty much anyone who crossed the white line in the nrl, i have to admit i think he has a psychological barrier with his elbow and a reluctance to hit the ball up.

anyone who plays fullback has to accept that part of your job is to return the kick and run as hard as you can back into the defensive line. if youre hayne or slater and are able to step through thats great, but if you cant, then you just have to grit your teeth and go hard, otherwise you are going to get hurt. if moltzen continues to be hesitant, he is going to get hurt and wont be playing anywhere.

lui should be halfback and moltzen should get at least one more week at 1 IMO. and if moltzen continues to play poorly then drop him. lui shouldnt have to pay for it like he did on the weekend.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:06 pm

Alwaysownyou wrote:He is playing like a petulant child.

He should be our first choice halfback and his game should turn around, but, given the way he has dogged it so far this year, I'd give him 2 weeks in State Cup to drum it into his head that no man is bigger than the team collective.

Farah is....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..