In defense of Robert Lui................

cnx_tigers

In defense of Robert Lui................

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:52 pm

I am a huge fan of Lui. I've followed him since day one. I don't want to seem negative and for people to think I don't rate him based on a few posts on his defense.

Here's the situation fellas.............

He's just not ready yet. That's pretty clear at this stage. I really don't want to see him lose all his confidence by being exposed at this level. He's not there yet. It may take him an entire season to be ready.............and memo to Sheens, we aren't in the experimental stage any more mate. We can''t afford to blow another year watching a half learn the position

Let's look at what you are asking him to do.

Rob was a 5/8 in the TC on Benji's side of the field.......now you are asking him to play half back in the NRL on the other side of the field.

That's a massive ask. If we had half a season to waste watching a young half learn the position at this level, then fair enough.

But we are not. We've wasted four seasons getting the halves right. The simple facts of the matter are right now that Moltzen has to be the half back.

In an ideal world, Lazarus will take over when the time is right. Just don't waste another season screwing around and shuffling the halves. Please.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:58 pm

Great post mate..agree 100%

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:00 pm

thank you cnx thats what ive been trying to say for a couple of weeks .....i do see him as a talent... but i like you think he just isnt ready yet .....

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:04 pm

what the hell happened to my post?
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:06 pm

I just don't want to waste another year 'experimenting' with the halves. It's just not good enough for this amount of time. A season, yeah. Two, geez. Three, come on. Four = just don't do it.

Benji and Moltz works. Just roll with it for this year.

ron burgandy

Post by ron burgandy » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:08 pm

cnx_tigers wrote:I just don't want to waste another year 'experimenting' with the halves. It's just not good enough for this amount of time. A season, yeah. Two, geez. Three, come on. Four = just don't do it.

Benji and Moltz works. Just roll with it for this year.
i think we will do ok reguardless but i think the difference will be with moltz we are a genuine top 4, with lui we probably scrape into the 8
"Just let the haters hate"

shout out to kul and the rest of the admin and mods

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:08 pm

tiger tigers wrote:thank you cnx thats what ive been trying to say for a couple of weeks .....i do see him as a talent... but i like you think he just isnt ready yet .....
Thats not what you have been saying though. This was a great post because the criticism was constructive as opposed to just rubbishing the young kid.

cnx_tigers

Post by cnx_tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:22 pm

I agree with you Ron. With Moltz in there, we are a top 4 team.

With Rob, we are going to be up and down all year (as is any side with a rookie 7). Maybe 8th / 9th or 10th.

We just can't afford another season of experimenting with a half.

I am just hoping like you wouldn't believe that Lazarus comes through. He can play both 1 and 7 and is the answer. I've got a massive wrap on him.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:39 pm

southerntiger wrote:
tiger tigers wrote:thank you cnx thats what ive been trying to say for a couple of weeks .....i do see him as a talent... but i like you think he just isnt ready yet .....
Thats not what you have been saying though. This was a great post because the criticism was constructive as opposed to just rubbishing the young kid.
i have not rubbished the kid ,,, i am just of the opinion he isnt ready for first grade yet ....show me where i have rubbished him and ill concede.....
you count yourself as a judge southern,,, who is the better no7 ? when has the most success came when lui or moltz was no7? .....we are once again weakoning two positions ......im over mediocre selections ,,,we have a squad capable of the top 4 when the right players are selected in their right positions....
tell me how flannigan is a walk up in the top 17 ???????

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:45 pm

TT,

Some of your comments on Lui - that he looks lost etc - have been rather harsh. He played a good game last week.

Whether we would be better with Moltz at 7 is different from whether Lui plays well or poorly. That is my whole point. I actually think the person who plays 7 is not a big influence on whether we win or lose. This really depends upon the performances Farah and Marshall.

I have never plumped for Flanagan. I probably wouldnt have had him in the 17 at the start of year but then I dont see what happens at training. Sheens gave a few young guys a run today. I get the feeling that Sheens is treating Fifita like he treated Gibbs, Marshall, Lawrence and Dwyer - that he is ready for first grade now.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:50 pm

you see southern ..every year is the same ....i really believe we have a squad capable of a top 4 finish ....but the guy selecting his team always experiments way too long ....im sorry if you see my opinion of lui being lost is rubbishing him , but i am just starting to get over the same mistakes year after year .we are weakoning two positions just to give lui a go .....

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:02 pm

TT,

I understand how you feel. I felt the same around 2008.

I recently had my first child so perhaps I am being overly positive of late.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:04 pm

im just frustrated , because i really do see a good squad who can go far this year .....

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:16 pm

its still too early to say if lui should keep going in the 7 or not. its only round 2. he needs more time there. he isnt going to be an andrew johns the first year in. he's going to take a couple of seasons of first grade to find his feet. anyone expecting him to hit the ground running and killing it in first grade like the lower grades are dreaming and expecting too much of him.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:41 pm

The poor bloke was injured today...Otherwise I thought he went fine against Manly. In any event, I think we will either see one of two things next week:

Moltzen to half and Lote to fullback with Ryan and Fitzy on the wings...or

Lazarus to half with Moltzen to stay at fullback and chime in attack.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:50 pm

its still too early - let lui live!
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"