Liam Fulton's horror injury revealed

hybrid_tiger

Re: Liam Fulton's horror injury revealed

Post by hybrid_tiger » Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:45 pm

southerntiger wrote:
But I really dont understand why anybody would care if the club lied to us about, or covered up, an injury. I see it as a non-issue. .
If the injury was POSSIBLY a result of a stuff-up then I don't think it is a non-issue. Especially since we lost arguably our best defender in a game that was played in 30+ heat and we were beaten because we tackled poorly.

Again, not saying that Fulton playing would have changed the result, but I dare say our defence would have improved as Fulton is one of the best in this area.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:43 pm

Southerntiger,

Your an intelligent guy. I can tell that from reading your posts. Probably more knowledgable then myself and most on a whole range of things. However this is a football forum, not a world debate forum on the vagaries of legal action or defamation or whatever. I think 99% of people here are fair dinkum supporters and simply want to put forward their opinion, positive or negative. I don't think people are intentionally being spiteful, or putting forward conspiracy theories like you are suggesting. Some people are probably being cynical at worst, and i don't think you should bother picking apart their words to the nth degree.

I agree that the venting towards to doc is unwarranted. However with a couple of reported similar incidents in the past you can't blame people for wanting to talk about it. I really couldn't care less if he did make a mistake, i am sure having been the club doc for a number of years he is more then competent. What happened in the dressing room is pure speculation from all of us. However the venting towards the club is fair enough in my opinion. Sheens threw out a flimsy line about Fulton being crook, there was no replacement player, Fulton won't comment, he won't play this weekend. It is all a bit messy for a professional club who should be as transparent as possible with members and supporters.

I don't think every thread becomes a bash-a-thon against Sheens and the club. I suppose i am classed as one of the more "Negative supporters" however I know I always try and justify a point of view and will always praise certain players or coaches if they get things right. Don't come to a internet forum and expect a love in, all the years of failure build up, and people need somewhere to vent. People throw in money every year to support this team and they want to see some results to go with all the hype and all the talent in the team. Do you think if we had made in the finals 3 of the past 5 seasons there would be such a scathing reaction to a Round 2 loss? Probably Not. Do you think if Farah hadn't been a lame duck against Souths in a must win game in 2007 people would all over this Fulton mystery? Probably Not Not saying its right or wrong, but you have to expect it on an internet forum. When people they see similar pitfalls to the past 4 seasons they get that feeling of here we go again.

Every supporter has a different way of expressing their support or dissapointment. Ultimately though everyone on here wants the Tigers to be successful. I don't think anyone takes pleasure in seeing Sheens fail or Fitzhenry fail. As an interesting side discussion I would be willing to bet that those 8 or 10 "bad eggs" that are considered the really negative supporters that you enjoy quoting are probably the ones that attend a lot more games and go back further then some others .

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:36 am

Eddie wrote:Southerntiger,

Your an intelligent guy. I can tell that from reading your posts. Probably more knowledgable then myself and most on a whole range of things. However this is a football forum, not a world debate forum on the vagaries of legal action or defamation or whatever. I think 99% of people here are fair dinkum supporters and simply want to put forward their opinion, positive or negative. I don't think people are intentionally being spiteful, or putting forward conspiracy theories like you are suggesting. Some people are probably being cynical at worst, and i don't think you should bother picking apart their words to the nth degree.

I agree that the venting towards to doc is unwarranted. However with a couple of reported similar incidents in the past you can't blame people for wanting to talk about it. I really couldn't care less if he did make a mistake, i am sure having been the club doc for a number of years he is more then competent. What happened in the dressing room is pure speculation from all of us. However the venting towards the club is fair enough in my opinion. Sheens threw out a flimsy line about Fulton being crook, there was no replacement player, Fulton won't comment, he won't play this weekend. It is all a bit messy for a professional club who should be as transparent as possible with members and supporters.

I don't think every thread becomes a bash-a-thon against Sheens and the club. I suppose i am classed as one of the more "Negative supporters" however I know I always try and justify a point of view and will always praise certain players or coaches if they get things right. Don't come to a internet forum and expect a love in, all the years of failure build up, and people need somewhere to vent. People throw in money every year to support this team and they want to see some results to go with all the hype and all the talent in the team. Do you think if we had made in the finals 3 of the past 5 seasons there would be such a scathing reaction to a Round 2 loss? Probably Not. Do you think if Farah hadn't been a lame duck against Souths in a must win game in 2007 people would all over this Fulton mystery? Probably Not Not saying its right or wrong, but you have to expect it on an internet forum. When people they see similar pitfalls to the past 4 seasons they get that feeling of here we go again.

Every supporter has a different way of expressing their support or dissapointment. Ultimately though everyone on here wants the Tigers to be successful. I don't think anyone takes pleasure in seeing Sheens fail or Fitzhenry fail. As an interesting side discussion I would be willing to bet that those 8 or 10 "bad eggs" that are considered the really negative supporters that you enjoy quoting are probably the ones that attend a lot more games and go back further then some others .
Eddie,

I always enjoy your posts, despite the negativity. I am not opposed to negativity. But the problem is that many here are negative over everything. The criticisms of the club chasing Tuqiri were a classic example. Golden's posts on gameday are another example. This is killing the enjoyment of this community for me and others.

The question of attacking a person's reputation, a person that is not a football player or coach, based on a few isolated incidents (and without knowledge of the details of those incidents) over the last 9 years, is, legalities aside, a question of values. I hold strongly to that view. I have seen good friend's reputations destroyed by such attacks and that is why I will criticise those who engage in such attacks. No disrespect, but it is hypocritical to attack the club and then not to expect criticism for your own conduct when it crosses the line.

Frustration i understand but there is a better way to voice this frustration. I have never suggested that anyone is not a true fan. That is not my issue. I have no doubt that anyone who spends their time on this forum bleeds for this club. At the same time I dont agree with you that these people wont be happy to see Sheens fail. The hatred of this man from these people is at such a level that I have the feeling they would prefer to see Sheens fail than the Tigers win a premiership.

I dont think that we disagree on the incident that started this thread. The only difference is that you expect the club to explain the details in full. I dont. In fact, if the allegations about the puncture are true, then the club would have a legal responsibility to ensure that the matter is dealt with in house. It would be irresponsible and (probably) defamatory for the club to make a statement in the terms of the Telegraph article.

My 2 cents.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:53 am

innsaneink wrote:Its pretty clear we have some ostriches among the fanbase
The kind of response expected from you Ink. Cynicism with no substance.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 1:00 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
But I really dont understand why anybody would care if the club lied to us about, or covered up, an injury. I see it as a non-issue. .
If the injury was POSSIBLY a result of a stuff-up then I don't think it is a non-issue. Especially since we lost arguably our best defender in a game that was played in 30+ heat and we were beaten because we tackled poorly.

Again, not saying that Fulton playing would have changed the result, but I dare say our defence would have improved as Fulton is one of the best in this area.
I am not saying that the stuff up is a non-issue. I am saying that lying is a non-issue. No club would come out and blame a medical staff in public. No doctor would ever work for you again.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 1:05 am

smeghead wrote:I will do you a deal. For a bit of a lark I will go and look up the word inference whilst you go and look up the standards of proof required to pursue an action for defamation of character
Smeg is right, CNX is wrong. A defamation action based on this article would have no legs. I would go further Smeg and ask CNX to look up the meaning of the "ordinary members of the public".

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 1:09 am

Year of the Tiger wrote:ST - Just heard from a reliable source that is plausible and a risk to puncture a lung with a needle to the sternum :o
That would seem to exonerate the medical staff from a negligence argument wouldnt it? It is an appreciable risk in such procedures.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 2:22 am

southerntiger wrote:
Eddie wrote:Southerntiger,

Eddie,

I always enjoy your posts, despite the negativity. I am not opposed to negativity. But the problem is that many here are negative over everything. The criticisms of the club chasing Tuqiri were a classic example. Golden's posts on gameday are another example. This is killing the enjoyment of this community for me and others.

The question of attacking a person's reputation, a person that is not a football player or coach, based on a few isolated incidents (and without knowledge of the details of those incidents) over the last 9 years, is, legalities aside, a question of values. I hold strongly to that view. I have seen good friend's reputations destroyed by such attacks and that is why I will criticise those who engage in such attacks. No disrespect, but it is hypocritical to attack the club and then not to expect criticism for your own conduct when it crosses the line.

Frustration i understand but there is a better way to voice this frustration. I have never suggested that anyone is not a true fan. That is not my issue. I have no doubt that anyone who spends their time on this forum bleeds for this club. At the same time I dont agree with you that these people wont be happy to see Sheens fail. The hatred of this man from these people is at such a level that I have the feeling they would prefer to see Sheens fail than the Tigers win a premiership.

I dont think that we disagree on the incident that started this thread. The only difference is that you expect the club to explain the details in full. I dont. In fact, if the allegations about the puncture are true, then the club would have a legal responsibility to ensure that the matter is dealt with in house. It would be irresponsible and (probably) defamatory for the club to make a statement in the terms of the Telegraph article.

My 2 cents.
I don't expect the club to explain the details in full. However i think they have been made it look a touch messy and I can understand supporters being frustrated.

If you genuinely believe people would rather see Sheens fail then the Tigers win a Premiership I think you are dead wrong there. The head coach of a sporting team that has not performed to expectation is always going to be the one to cop heat from a fan base. Go on to any internet forum in the world after a sporting team losses and their will be threads regarding the mistakes made by the coach. Im a Chelsea fan and they would be scathing of Mourinho after 2 or 3 draws in a row! So After 4 consecutive losing seasons, and 6 out of 7 bottom half finishes, there will be a cynical slant on Sheens from many fans. Whatever slant you put on it the last 4 seasons have been failures.

Do you really think people would be so negative to Sheens if we had made the finals 3 of the first 5 seasons? It might come across as hatred to you, but i think it is passion. Without wanting to sound disrecpectful perhaps it is harder from overseas to grasp the feeling of frustration. Or easier to take a more diplomatic approach. Not saying you are any lesser a fan in any way, probably more of a fan getting up at all hours to listen to the radio. I just think that most these people hammering Sheens would of been the people at the ground suffering over the past 4 seasons. Getting home having travelled a distance and hoping on here and venting their frustrations.

As for Golden, I find his posts a highlight. Wests Tigers fans are generally considered the most cynical in the league, or the most pessimistic. 20 years of failure will do that to you. 1 finals appearance in 20 years for old Balmain fans which i believe he is. Ive seen him in game threads to nervous to watch the final 15 minutes, predicting comebacks from 20 points ahead?? I don't think that makeshim any less a fan. And I bet he would just about be the most elated fan in the world if we made the 8. Like i said all people on here people have a different have of expressing their support or disapointment. Positiveor negative,doesn;t make them any less a fan in my opinion.

willow

Post by willow » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 7:13 am

Liam Fulton eyes round four return after needle mishap

Ben Horne From: The Daily Telegraph March 25, 2010 12:00AM

WESTS Tigers forward Liam Fulton has confirmed he'll "definitely" be back for his team's round four meeting with Canberra.

The second-rower starred in the Tigers' first-up victory over Manly, but was ruled out of last Sunday's loss to the Roosters just minutes before kick-off after he reacted adversely to a pain-killing injection.

The Daily Telegraph understands Fulton's lung was punctured by medical staff as they attempted to needle a painful sternum injury.

The unfortunate mishap will see the reinvigorated Fulton miss Friday's blockbuster with Parramatta, but he said he's a certain starter the following week against the Raiders in Canberra.

Fulton has returned from a stint with English club Huddersfield and is determined to take his game to a new level.

Before his minor set-back, he got off to the perfect start with a near man-of-the-match performance against the Sea Eagles.

"I'll be back next week, definitely. I'm happy it's only one week and I'm happy to get back into it against Canberra," said Fulton.

"I was stoked I could get back into the NRL for one and getting back into the Tigers was another thing. Getting that first game out of the way with a win was a sweet feeling.

"I went over to England a less mature player than I am now. I lived by myself over there and learnt a lot. Maturing as a player was something I needed to do and that was one of the reasons why I left in the first place.

"I said I wanted to come back a better player and I reckon I have."

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 8:22 am

Eddie wrote:
Do you really think people would be so negative to Sheens if we had made the finals 3 of the first 5 seasons? It might come across as hatred to you, but i think it is passion. Without wanting to sound disrecpectful perhaps it is harder from overseas to grasp the feeling of frustration. Or easier to take a more diplomatic approach. Not saying you are any lesser a fan in any way, probably more of a fan getting up at all hours to listen to the radio. I just think that most these people hammering Sheens would of been the people at the ground suffering over the past 4 seasons. Getting home having travelled a distance and hoping on here and venting their frustrations.
I am getting a bit sick of this argument. Whilst I dont make many matches I would make more of an effort than most in seeing the games - A few years ago I spent 3 hours at 1am looking for a pub to watch a game in. I routinely make a very big effort to watch games. If people are getting frustrated that it affects them so much, then they should revisit their level of commitment to the club. Supporting the Tigers will never be an easy affair.

No I dont think people would be negative towards Sheens if he had made the finals. Once again, as I said, I dont mind negativity, it is a question of perspective and reasonableness.

I totally disagree with you about Golden. I use the game day thread to understand whats going on and hear peoples genuine comments. Instead I get all this moaning about how we are gone for another year - in round 1. This happens during the game, not after Golden gets home. It doesnt seem like Golden made many matches this year or last.

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:34 am

So there was a needle. The needle went wrong and thats why they had nobody on standby.
They should have just said as much. The truth is much easier most times.

No doubt there will be nothing more heard from the club on this matter as they obviously didn't want these headlines.
Its just not a good look and made even worse by lies.

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 10:39 am

The Tooth wrote:So there was a needle. The needle went wrong and thats why they had nobody on standby.

No doubt there will be nothing more heard from the club on this matter as they obviously didn't want these headlines.
The Paper still has it wrong...

there was a needle.. the needle isnt what caused the problem.. thats all im saying on it..

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:01 am

T-REXX wrote:
The Tooth wrote:So there was a needle. The needle went wrong and thats why they had nobody on standby.

there was a needle.. the needle isnt what caused the problem.. thats all im saying on it..
Your opinion is no less or more valid than the Tele's unless you can back it up with fact.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:30 am

They did say that according to the SMH earlier in the week.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:32 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
T-REXX wrote:

Your opinion is no less or more valid than the Tele's unless you can back it up with fact.
In all fairness Hybrid, T-Rexx has very good form when it comes to inside information. It would be fair to give him the benefit of the doubt. I assume he has his reasons for not saying anything further.

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 11:54 am

T-REXX wrote:

Well that sort of comment only adds fuel to the fire imo. My point is still the same though.... the club hasn't told the truth and it looks ugly. What are they hiding T-REXX? Maybe you can elaborate in a PM to me.
See how a little white lie can snowball. Surely if there was nothing worthy of a cover up they'd just come out and say what happened. I know thats not going to happen now though. You've got me even more concerned now.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:12 pm

Let it go gents,

All that matters is that Liam will be back for round 4 for the challenging treck down to Canberra.

Also - I dont have to sell him in My NRL dream team.
UTT - Up The Tigers

willow

Post by willow » Thu 25 Mar, 2010 12:51 pm

Spartan117 wrote:Let it go gents,

All that matters is that Liam will be back for round 4 for the challenging treck down to Canberra.

Also - I dont have to sell him in My NRL dream team.
Indeed, let it go. The injury happened and it is being dealt with. Unless any of us were in the dressing sheds and know the full medical history behind what happened, we are purely speculating and it is getting us nowhere. Liam has declared he will be back against the Raiders and is looking forward to it. That will do me.