Can we all please agree on this one thing ..

NT Tiger

Re: Can we all please agree on this one thing ..

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 8:35 am

supercoach wrote:
Mon 03 Apr, 2017 8:31 am
I actually do not think coaches are the messiah that some people think and yes they play a important role, but a very good side can win with a bad coach but a bad side will struggle to win with a good coach.

My hope for Cleary is he can attract some harden pros to the club, guys who know how to win, guys who don't take short cuts.

Anyway if he has a three year contract, I will back him for three years, I am sick and tired of changing coaches and going back to square one
x2
"Quality Stupidity"

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:09 am

Ivan will get the respect he deserves. By there way I don't think he is this world beater coach some in the media are making out. However he is an upgrade on anything we have had for a while. And like super coach said he should be able to attract more players the our previous 2 coaches have. He certainly has a lot more respect in the media and in football circles.

I'm sure he won't come in bagging previous coaches and saying it's easy to fix the defence. Im sure he wont ring radio stations to have a crack at people that bag the tigers.

Happy, JT rubbed fans up the wrong way. Not all of them but some of them. I agree every coach deserves time and a certain amount of support. However JT had plenty of support at board level and to bring in his own coachea. Coaches that he himself fired.

However the disgraceful way we have started this season had a large to do with him - and he was rightly fired. Our attacking an defensive structures are awful. Our fitness is poor. We have $1 million of our own players playing elsewhere when they could be playing for us this year. We had gone backwards at an alarming rate this year and the coach has responsibility for that. In his 3rd year things should have bee a lot more solid.

In saying that in the past 2 weeks we have say square in the face the club have bigger problems then JT. Usually when a coach gets sacked there is some sort of response, whilst we look just as bad, The players can't run from it now or the board or CEO. Where is a deep hole and Ivan will run in the bottom 4 this year and I don't care as long as he starts building the roster and doing some ground work. I Know WT is a very tough gig for a coach. Cleary will have my support for 3 years if I see improvement and he carries himself well, simple as that.

You just hope in his 3rd year, things are a lot better then his 1st year. For Taylor that simply wasn't the case. You can say it was only 3 games, however I think hr was lucky he was fired after 3 games. As we were so far off the pace it wasn't funny.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:21 am

How do you mean 'signing against his will'? [and not that stupid Go comment]

If Cleary is any chance, we all need to give him the latitude to do what he believes is needed. If that means moving on the big names or a club legend, we just need to be supportive of the transition.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:26 am

Eddie you pretty well nailed it.. Taylor had to go and we needed a new coach and I guess Cleary is probably the best available. Also i get the feeling that Cleary might get a clear message to the troops, that he is in charge and if you don't like it find a new home

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:40 am

The way i see it, there is only one way from here
We are already rock bottom, surely cant get worse

the 4 Superstars can leave, that will be worse but NRL is bigger than any 1 individual or any 4

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:42 am

Eddie wrote:
Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:09 am
Ivan will get the respect he deserves. By there way I don't think he is this world beater coach some in the media are making out. However he is an upgrade on anything we have had for a while. And like super coach said he should be able to attract more players the our previous 2 coaches have. He certainly has a lot more respect in the media and in football circles.

I'm sure he won't come in bagging previous coaches and saying it's easy to fix the defence. Im sure he wont ring radio stations to have a crack at people that bag the tigers.

Happy, JT rubbed fans up the wrong way. Not all of them but some of them. I agree every coach deserves time and a certain amount of support. However JT had plenty of support at board level and to bring in his own coachea. Coaches that he himself fired.

However the disgraceful way we have started this season had a large to do with him - and he was rightly fired. Our attacking an defensive structures are awful. Our fitness is poor. We have $1 million of our own players playing elsewhere when they could be playing for us this year. We had gone backwards at an alarming rate this year and the coach has responsibility for that. In his 3rd year things should have bee a lot more solid.

In saying that in the past 2 weeks we have say square in the face the club have bigger problems then JT. Usually when a coach gets sacked there is some sort of response, whilst we look just as bad, The players can't run from it now or the board or CEO. Where is a deep hole and Ivan will run in the bottom 4 this year and I don't care as long as he starts building the roster and doing some ground work. I Know WT is a very tough gig for a coach. Cleary will have my support for 3 years if I see improvement and he carries himself well, simple as that.

You just hope in his 3rd year, things are a lot better then his 1st year. For Taylor that simply wasn't the case. You can say it was only 3 games, however I think hr was lucky he was fired after 3 games. As we were so far off the pace it wasn't funny.
This is incorrect:

"And like super coach said he should be able to attract more players the our previous 2 coaches have".

The two previous coaches had no money to attract decent players. They had to scramble to get a few bucks to just fill holes.

Get stuck into them by all means - but let's be honest in what we accuse them of.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 11:10 am

Russell.

I know the previous 2 coaches hands were tied in regards to recruitment.

My point with Cleary is he has worked with 2 talented NRL rosters with big junior bases. He would have plenty of contacts at Penrith and the Warriors that our previous coaches might not have been able to tap into

That was my point.

WTDiehard

Post by WTDiehard » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:12 pm

Our roster has been the biggest problem over the last 5-6 years. Having players with too much power in the club has also made it impossible for any coach to have much success at the Tigers...especially novice coaches in Potter & JT.

Clubs such as Melb, Bronco's & Cowboys have really great players at those clubs.....but you never get the feeling that any of those players are bigger than the club.

We have a culture here where some players feel ENTITLED....yet have accomplished nothing.

If Cleary can clean out the rubbish and develop a real culture at the club then maybe we will be competitive again.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 11:04 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:21 am
How do you mean 'signing against his will'? [and not that stupid Go comment]

If Cleary is any chance, we all need to give him the latitude to do what he believes is needed. If that means moving on the big names or a club legend, we just need to be supportive of the transition.
I was joking Watto , sorry to alert you suspicions for no reason

I just think he is on a hiding to nothing

I'll put the question to you mate " Your are 26 year old bloke probably looking at your last seriously big pay day , no nonsense forward on the verge of SOO , would you be seriously looking at the Wests Tigers as a realistic option ??"

Recruitment is going to still be mission impossible in my opinion , ESPECIALLY after the comment in todays interview about Wests Ashfield wanting to re sign the Big 4

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 11:11 pm

I am curious as to whether he will play Kev in the centres this week.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 7:50 am

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 03 Apr, 2017 11:04 pm

I'll put the question to you mate " Your are 26 year old bloke probably looking at your last seriously big pay day , no nonsense forward on the verge of SOO , would you be seriously looking at the Wests Tigers as a realistic option ??"

Recruitment is going to still be mission impossible in my opinion , ESPECIALLY after the comment in todays interview about Wests Ashfield wanting to re sign the Big 4
Im sure you know it as well do I, but players of the calibre you are referring to dont sign for Clubs, they sign for Coaches.

Even if Matulino comes here as a Bench Prop, adding McQueen & Capewell to our stock will start to get players thinking 'whats Ivan building'. Its this factor that I have been critical of over the past 5 years as we never seemed interested in playing in the player market. I dont buy the "we are broke" bs. It costs nothing to have a play!

Being the only coach since Sheens to have full control of the Football Department is a good thing. How that plays out from a political perspective with our factions is something we will have to wait and see.

He will still need a quality Centre at least if he can secure those 3 listed above.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 7:57 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 04 Apr, 2017 7:50 am
happy tiger wrote:

Im sure you know it as well do I, but players of the calibre you are referring to dont sign for Clubs, they sign for Coaches.

Even if Matulino comes here as a Bench Prop, adding McQueen & Capewell to our stock will start to get players thinking 'whats Ivan building'. Its this factor that I have been critical of over the past 5 years as we never seemed interested in playing in the player market. I dont buy the "we are broke" bs. It costs nothing to have a play!

Being the only coach since Sheens to have full control of the Football Department is a good thing. How that plays out from a political perspective with our factions is something we will have to wait and see.

He will still need a quality Centre at least if he can secure those 3 listed above.
Wasting your time Watto..tried explaining it yesterday,,

Players have followed Ivan in the past and will do so now...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 10:45 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Tue 04 Apr, 2017 7:50 am
happy tiger wrote:

That is only helpful when that player has played under Cleary

Many players haven't played under Cleary , and still only have the history of the WT's to look at to base their opinions on

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 2:35 pm

The best coaches are generally the best recruiters. I expect Ivan to make some big calls to quickly develop a competitive team with a much more genuine culture. I expect that some players are in for a rude shock, some will flee, others will stand and fight. I want the later players.

05TIGZ

Post by 05TIGZ » Tue 04 Apr, 2017 9:36 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sun 02 Apr, 2017 10:59 pm
If the rumours are true Cleary will be signing against his will to become the next Wests Tigers coach

Can we all please agree that things aren't going to change overnight and he deserves some time to get things right

Lets not stick the knife in if we get lapped v the Cows

Its still the same roster with the same issues

Welcome to our club Ivan the Invincible , please save our minds and turn this club around
This year is a write off no matter who took over as coach. I will be more excited by re-signings , new signings and players being told to move on then by wins/losses. Cleary deserves our support and should be given every chance to turn this shambles around. He will struggle to get them fit let alone change their bad habits in the short future.

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 2:18 pm

There's a very famous rugby league quote

'Winning starts in the front office'

- Beryl the office lady, 2002

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 2:23 pm

:roll
Winnipeg wrote:
Wed 05 Apr, 2017 2:18 pm
There's a very famous rugby league quote

'Winning starts in the front office'