willow wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:28 am
Mighty Tiger wrote:
Sat 08 Apr, 2017 10:17 pm
1) Idris right center, Suli left center and Kev left winger

2) rush up defence gone

3) direct play, quick play the balls, hooker running

4) bombs away

5) played as a team, we never gave up and supported each other on every aspect today

What did other see as some of these changes were sizable and made rather large contributions to the win tonight.
Simple changes but very effective, our edge defence was much better also, Moses never got isolated and while JLJ got trampled a couple of times, he also made sure to put his entire body in the way to slow things down enough.

The other thing which was noticeable was the support play through the middle. We always had a couple of players lurking around the ruck pushing up on the offload.
We even used the old out in play that Farah ,Marshall and Moltzen used so successfully

A lot of what happened last night seemed to be focussed about being mentally tougher and focussed

We still used the compressed defence , but it wasn't as compressed as usual

We almost got caught out a few times , but it was far better than previous matches

criwdfluffer
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:35 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 08 Apr, 2017 10:46 pm
Tedesco through the middle third..

Our direct attack...

Limited use of the 2nd man play..

Scramble in D but I think that was more the players pulling their finger out..

Stringer left home with ISP...

I liked it...

Yes it was great seeing teddy pop up in the middle unlike with those boring sweep plays with defenders sweating on him. Top marks coach.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:40 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 08 Apr, 2017 10:46 pm
Tedesco through the middle third..
That was the most noticeable for me.

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 11:10 am

Fitness was still lacking, and that'll take ages to rectify.

jirskyr
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 132 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:13 pm

I think the Suli/Frozone switch was really key, Cowboys had much more difficulty exploiting us out wide because Suli is not a great winger but quite a sensible and strong centre defender. Also Naiqama is much quicker off the mark, was good on the kick chase and took some really astute early-tackle runs.

In fact I'd go as far as to say this was Naiqama's best game in quite a long time, and I've always thought he was a much better winger than centre. He's certainly a better winger than Jordan Rankin, though lacking in kicking or utility value, he knows how to tackle 1-1 and find the try line. Maybe, if Naiqama has no other options in NRL, he would be a cheap and handy wing option, or reserve grade backup a la Justin Hunt, if we found someone better. Early days yes, but he does have a skillset that was put to good use last night.

Also Idris to right centre, isn't that where he used to play for the Dogs? He seemed to favour his left fend last night and that is best used on the right side, I don't recall him making so many effective fends when he was at left centre. I think Idris is getting better week on week, he has some lapses but with such a wide wingspan they find it difficult to get around him, and he certainly hits hard if they make the mistake of running right at him.

Hooker use was really good, they subbed at absolutely the right time and we were all wondering if McIlwrick had more minutes in him. Not only is Ballin injured, but I just can't see a spot for him at the moment - Liddle has his specific role that Ballin cannot fill, and I would not be subbing McIlwrick out with such good form.

JLJ definitely got more ball this week. He wasn't great but at least it split the pressure, we got mauled last week just going Moses-Tedesco all game. His tactical kicking is superior to Mitch, Mitch put a few bad ones in again last night esp that cross-field kick that Ponga fielded in open space and ran 80 metres.

The last thing is just about the line speed and defensive effort. Tigers were much faster coming up in defence, Cowboys were still better at it I think, but Tigers were alright. Moving up fast put lots of pressure on the Cowboys halves and they were rattled. It then flowed onto the scramble: they came up faster, they moved side-side faster. Esp in the last 10, Tigers would normally have folded under pressure, we held our line really well even if Cowboys are in a bit of an attacking funk. Kick pressure was good, the commentators noticed it, and in attack the boys came onto the ball at speed, much less flat-footed crap that we've been used to. Esp that play where MCK bombed the try, there were bodies in fast motion everywhere, one quick PTB and Cowboys were reeling.

I don't know where that increase in energy/tempo came from, you aren't going to find more stamina in Townsville (on account of the general heat/humidity), and you can't make someone fit in a week, so it must have been a slight change to gameplan and the rest just mental. They probably subbed better, though from 1 viewing on TV it was hard to track. The players wanted to put in harder, were willing to do it. Maybe the old coach had lost the players, which is a cop-out, you should try hard every week, but Cleary got something out of them this week that was previously lacking. Time will tell whether he can continue to get it from them week on week.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm

I havent read all posts in this thread but one thing I noticed last night was that we were very happy to go with one marker a lot. I dont know if it was conscious but it happened regularly enough for me to notice it as unusual.

I suspect the message is dont compromise the line for the sake of having two markers.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:31 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:13 pm
Mitch put a few bad ones in again last night esp that cross-field kick that Ponga fielded in open space and ran 80 metres.
That kick was a shocker. Teddy was never going to get it and it was always going to leave us vulernable to a counter attack. We were crying out for a simple roll into the in-goal.

Mitch's game management is still very ordinary.

criwdfluffer
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:39 pm

YEAH.....that was a ridiculous play. going for a clutch like that had some screaming at the tv.

Needaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Needaname » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:56 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm
I havent read all posts in this thread but one thing I noticed last night was that we were very happy to go with one marker a lot. I dont know if it was conscious but it happened regularly enough for me to notice it as unusual.

I suspect the message is dont compromise the line for the sake of having two markers.
Absolutely! I've noticed that being a bit of a disadvantage for us recently. That's one noticeable change with the new coach, the other was kick pressure in d, and our kick chase after an attacking set. Still some poor kicks but our chase certainly alevites that.

Mighty Tiger
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Mighty Tiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 1:04 pm

Good reading other posts thoughts, what is most interesting is nothing appeared to be a giant rocket size move.

I also wonder if Webster gave Cleary some key insights to make changes.

All round a positive few changes, lets see it improve againsg the Eels

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 1:47 pm

Mighty Tiger wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 1:04 pm
I also wonder if Webster gave Cleary some key insights to make changes.
Oh I am sure of it. Especially against Melb they turned dummy half scrambles into a cottage industry. None of that side to side finessing that had become a trademark under Taylor tenure with the club

Nucky Thompson
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 7:41 am

Idris was interviewed after the game on am radio and he brought it up himself that he enjoyed the right side and played right with the dogs.

It wasn't a bad centre paring with idris on right and suli left.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 8:55 am

Milky wrote:
Sat 08 Apr, 2017 10:43 pm
Players weren't gased after 30mins, interchange was used properly.
The game was played at night time helping their stamina, maybe not pushed as hard In the warm up?

Return to “Round 6: Wests Tigers vs North Queensland Cowboys”