Mitchell Moses stars for Wests Tigers as Johnathan Thurston suffers serious injury

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Mitchell Moses stars for Wests Tigers as Johnathan Thurston suffers serious injury

Unread post by willow » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 4:45 am

Michael Chammas - SMH

How can Ivan Cleary let Mitchell Moses go now?

As he addressed the team for potentially the last time before Saturday night's clash against the Cowboys, Moses looked his teammates in the eye and said: "no excuses".

Eighty minutes of football later, which saw Johnathan Thurston leave the field in the dying minutes with a serious leg injury, the Wests Tigers were celebrating a victory on a memorable night in the club's history.

"I was really fired-up before the game and wanted to prove people wrong," Moses told Fox Sports after the match. "I'm going to try and put in every performance I have for the Tigers. I showed tonight I'm not giving up."

If ever a team had a right to use excuses, it was the Tigers in Townsville on Saturday night.

They had a new coach in Cleary taking the reins on Monday.

Their five-eighth signed a contract with Parramatta for next year and retaliated to having his Tigers contract withdrawn by asking for directions to the exit doors.

Their skipper Aaron Woods and superstar fullback James Tedesco refused to commit to the club amid a circus of speculation surrounding their futures. But, 135 seconds into the Cleary regime, they moved to put a tumultuous month behind them and break a four-match losing streak with a fortuitous try to prop Ava Seumanufagai to mark a new era.

From his first meeting with the players to his first press conference in charge of the Tigers, Cleary has repeatedly alluded to this 'bus'. You're either on it or off it, he said.

A few days ago, Moses pressed the 'stop' button well before his desired destination. He wanted out. Or at least his manager wanted him waiting at the bus stop for Brad Arthur to arrive. But Cleary kept driving. Not stopping despite oncoming traffic ordering him to slow down.

Despite having his request for a release denied by the Tigers, Moses didn't chuck his toys out of the cot. In fact, throughout the team's preparation in Townsville, he committed to the cause.

He didn't go into his shell. He interacted with Cleary throughout training. And while he still might be at Parramatta this week, he made it clear he had no intention of leaving Tigertown being accused of tanking.

Perhaps Moses was the most fired-up of the lot. High fiving and fist pumping his way around the ground shouting words that should never be printed in a newspaper.

"No excuses," he reiterated to his teammates before kick-off.

Then the ambush began.

Not even Cleary expected the events of the next 80 minutes to transpire as they did. This was meant to be the toughest baptism of fire in the history of new coaches. A road trip to Townsville to take on Thurston and company.

But they played like a team on notice. Like a team that knew if they dished out what they have been in recent weeks they'd soon be on the lookout for a new club.

For a team that has long faded in and out of games, the victory against the Cowboys was the closest thing to a disciplined performance they've produced in a long time.

When they conceded a try, they didn't concede three in quick succession. When they scored a try, they didn't go looking for the big play.

And when they made an error, of which there were many, they didn't drop their heads. They scrambled like men in black and gold haven't scrambled in a long time.

Just like they did against Melbourne a fortnight ago in the first game of the post-Jason Taylor era, the Tigers burst out of the blocks to notch an early 14-0 lead.

This time they didn't run out of steam. This time they had the heart to fight until the final whistle – ensuring Chris Lawrence's 200th game would be one to savour.

And as one Tigers player yelled with relief after the game: "Thank god". So the question has to be asked again. How can Cleary let Moses go now?

Not this year. And thanks to a little thing called the 10-day cooling-off period, perhaps not next year.

Tigerdave
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Tigerdave » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:21 am

And as one Tigers player yelled with relief after the game: "Thank god". So the question has to be asked again. How can Cleary let Moses go now?

Not this year. And thanks to a little thing called the 10-day cooling-off period, perhaps not next year.
Is it really up to us? the kid wanted an immediate transfer, so I don't think it's really a case of us letting him go.

Wouldn't mind him staying though, but he's got to want to stay, not only for him, but for the team. This individual stuff has really dragged us down. Ivan's spot on in regards to team this and team that.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:28 am

Moses played better than usual in the first half , but was his normal self from them on .
Not sure where they got the "Star" bit from.
Noticed his interview after the game was all about" me"a few mentions about the team, but most about how he proved people wrong.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:33 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:28 am
Moses played better than usual in the first half , but was his normal self from them on .
Noticed his interview after the game was all about" me"a few mentions about the team, but most about how he proved people wrong.
That was my take on it also.Not a lot of credit given by him to the team

glebe_tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by glebe_tiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:37 am

From what i saw last night i don't think we will miss Moses a great deal. Played well but there were better performances from quite a few of his team mates.

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:40 am

Mcilrick played better than I thought he could . He went really well

Trisdar

Unread post by Trisdar » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:02 am

Littlejohn was better than Moses. We won't miss him when he is gone

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:03 am

Yes he played better but i didnt like his FOX interview after game saying he "wanted to prove people wrong"

He has a lot of maturing still to do as i question the motive
Instead of playing for the team first he was playing well for personal reasons..
I wont miss him

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:05 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 6:28 am
Im with you
It was all about him rather than a team and i think thats his mentality

There is no "I" in TEAM and someone needs to tell MM

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:17 am

The way the interviewer made it a personal thing surely had mostly to do with it. I noticed a few times him barking out orders (presumably they were intelligent orders) - I can not say the same for the captain. He was most passionate that the team won, more than most others. Give him a break.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Telltails
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Telltails » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:18 am

Mitchell suffers from trying to sound too confident, to the point where it becomes arrogant.
He has got some growing up to do, but judging any 22 year old on their after game interview, instead of what they offer as a player long term is fraught with danger.
Brad Arthurs concern now.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:25 am

In the article Chammas uses the same term that a poster did about Moses, about throwing or non throwing his toys out of the cot, but Chammas was about 5 days afterwards. Shows where a lot of professional writers get their hints from.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Bula
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Bula » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:53 am

Telltails wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:18 am
Mitchell suffers from trying to sound too confident, to the point where it becomes arrogant.
He has got some growing up to do, but judging any 22 year old on their after game interview, instead of what they offer as a player long term is fraught with danger.
Brad Arthurs concern now.
Moses had a very quiet first half when we were smashing them.

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 8:31 am

Trisdar wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:02 am
If lLittlejohn is the answer, then we're in trouble. He had a shocker in his last game and is a bit like Moses in lacking consistency . A stopgap possibility but can't rely on him

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by mike » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 8:39 am

willow wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 4:45 am
Early start Willow or still awake in happy disbelief?
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 8:48 am

Trisdar wrote:
Sun 09 Apr, 2017 7:02 am
Don't know about JLJ. Offers little in attack and I was thinking his defence was solid but then got bumped a couple times big style.

Moses the star my donkey, 0 try assists, 1 LB assist, 9 runs 45m, 11 kicks for 297m.

What a star :shock:

"I just wanted to prove some people wrong" - I think his team mates proved him wrong

Eye Of Da Tiger

Unread post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:03 am

That win was a team effort. The media just found a way to distract from that. Moses was ok but no star.

WTDiehard
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by WTDiehard » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 9:27 am

Moses was ok but there was probably 6 blokes better on the park being....McIllwrick, Ava, CheeKam, and you can take your pick for the rest.

Moses is only 22 years old....he's basically a kid. he's not an authority on anything...YET.

I'm sure he has alot of skill and he may turn into a very very good player one day, its a pity it won't be at the Tigers, but I don't think we will miss him terribly either....he certainly is no Benji during his best.

Football is a team game and you need 17 players all doing their job to win. IMO, Tigers have created their own problems over the years by thinking the Big 2 or Big 4 is the key to a winning team. Look at the Dragons....no real superstars, but a team full of very solid players and performing and winning.

Give me a team full of solid performing 1st graders anyday....its better than winning a super upset game one week but then getting flogged 4 weeks in a row.

I do like the Cleary motto of "being on the bus"...its about time we had the attitude of either "all in" or you can go away.

Return to “Round 6: Wests Tigers vs North Queensland Cowboys”