Post match press conference

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Post match press conference

Post by jadtiger » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:03 am

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 17 Apr, 2017 10:08 pm
Yeah the whole turning on Woods thing has me beat. It seems like people don't like his public persona, his TV appearances and what he says or does not say, that is then affecting what people say about his game. He seemed solid out there to me today, not outstanding, hardly our worst and hardly the bloke to hang the loss on.

Some leaders don't have to shout and carry on at their players. You want emotion to be worn on the sleeve apparently, Graham and Reynolds and Ricky Stuart and Craig Bellamy all do it, it somehow appears to make them better?

Let's not forget Graham got done for biting someone's ear, nearly breaking a leg in charge down, talking back to refs and allegedly telling off a female journo. There's a real fine line between passion and stupidity.
Agreed Graham has on many occasions lost control and does borderline to outright disgraceful actions.Hardly a surprise the dogs are shopping him around.The last thing we need is someone who argues with refs and gives penalties constantly away.He is also on the wrong side of 30.The hate for Woods bewilders me because it is not based on his play. i can understand some comments about his captaincy and maybe a change in captain would help him so he can just concentrate on playing.If he leaves our pack will be far weaker and it is weak now

mightymagpie

Post by mightymagpie » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:16 am

In my opinion Woods went ok yesterday. The problem is he shouldn't be captain.
He does lead in a way in the way he plays. We probably don't see it but I think he's thought highly of within the team. But he's no motivator as he's so laid back.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:16 am

jadtiger wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:03 am
jirskyr wrote:
Yeah the whole turning on Woods thing has me beat. It seems like people don't like his public persona, his TV appearances and what he says or does not say, that is then affecting what people say about his game. He seemed solid out there to me today, not outstanding, hardly our worst and hardly the bloke to hang the loss on.

Some leaders don't have to shout and carry on at their players. You want emotion to be worn on the sleeve apparently, Graham and Reynolds and Ricky Stuart and Craig Bellamy all do it, it somehow appears to make them better?

Let's not forget Graham got done for biting someone's ear, nearly breaking a leg in charge down, talking back to refs and allegedly telling off a female journo. There's a real fine line between passion and stupidity.
Agreed Graham has on many occasions lost control and does borderline to outright disgraceful actions.Hardly a surprise the dogs are shopping him around.The last thing we need is someone who argues with refs and gives penalties constantly away.He is also on the wrong side of 30.The hate for Woods bewilders me because it is not based on his play. i can understand some comments about his captaincy and maybe a change in captain would help him so he can just concentrate on playing.If he leaves our pack will be far weaker and it is weak now
Woods didnt play badly. He didnt losevthe game. But he definately has deficiencies in his game. His offloads are never clean, his upright running style makes play the balls alot slower, his defenceattitude of grabbing instead of hitting isnt the greatest eg when taumolo ran over him last week.

I just dont want to pay him overs thats all. Sign him up for whats he worth and get a new captain.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:20 am

willow wrote:
Mon 17 Apr, 2017 7:31 pm

"Under pressure we were coming up with errors in defence, and that’s been happening for a while here so it’s going to take a bit of time to get some bad habits out," he said.

"But we’ll get it right at some point — we’ve just got to keep chipping away."
Hauntingly familiar.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:23 am

yep. but at least now we have a full salary cap to use. Time to get new players not brought up in this culture.

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 8:05 am

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 17 Apr, 2017 11:45 pm
Back on topic ,how do we lose a game when we miss 15 less tackles , have the ball for an extra 5 sets , complete our sets at a better % , have a higher possession percentage and run for an extra 120 metres

You can't envy Cleary's job , the Partridge Family /Priscilla bus must have about 2 cylinders working , dirty fuel , no brakes , the plugs are shot , the wheels are balder than Telly Savalas head and Geo is riding on top in drag singing opera again
Very well summed up happy
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 8:13 am

Seantice wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:23 am
yep. but at least now we have a full salary cap to use. Time to get new players not brought up in this culture.
No one is gonna come , well no one we are speaking up

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 8:28 am

Enough sniping thanks.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

jctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jctiger » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 9:23 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 8:13 am
Seantice wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:23 am
No one is gonna come , well no one we are speaking up
I'm afraid I can see this happening as well. All these players off contract and we miss out on the good ones.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 9:46 am

Seantice wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:16 am
jadtiger wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:03 am
jirskyr wrote:

Woods didnt play badly. He didnt losevthe game. But he definately has deficiencies in his game. His offloads are never clean, his upright running style makes play the balls alot slower, his defenceattitude of grabbing instead of hitting isnt the greatest eg when taumolo ran over him last week.

I just dont want to pay him overs thats all. Sign him up for whats he worth and get a new captain.
What I find funny is if you try and quality Woods by overall stats, people will tell you they can be misleading, "not a real indicator of the game".

Then if you focus on one thing, well that's an individual occurrence and similarly "not a real indicator of the game".

Take the Taumalolo missed tackle - a really blatant, bad one. But T has 29 tackle breaks to his name this season, that's 28 other times he's beaten his man. You don't intentionally tackle this guy 1-1, which means Woods got isolated and it's part of the bigger issue with Tigers defence. Sure you want Woods to take T down at every 1-1 tackle, but realistically it's not going to happen.

Every player has room for improvement, that's hardly even worth saying any more. Definitely Woods is far from perfect. I don't think any prop is worth $800-900K but those aren't even official numbers, they are bandied about by the media and you can't rest an argument on journalist dart-throwing.

Speaking of offloads, Woods had 3 yesterday and I thought the first two were good ones. Certainly had the Parra fans around me groaning in disappointment.

I think people just misunderstand what type of player Woods is and how he is used. He has never been a tackle enforcer, he never charges into the defence at a million miles an hour. His top speed has always been amble. KG used to be the same, except KG didn't rack up 150m per week.

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 10:04 am

That wasn't a press conference that was a Mitchell Moses Q & A he's gone forget him, the media are pathetic. Wish ET was captain i think it's time Cleary had the chat with Woods tell him to concentrate on footy not talking which he isnt very proficient at anyway.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:13 pm

Has Woods ever ran the ball up with the intention and determination of busting out the other side of the defensive line?

Has he hit someone in D with the intention of them not getting up after it?

To me the answer from watching every game he's played is No, he doesn't seem to extend himself, he just ambles along racking up stats and playing his role as best he can. He seems like he's going through the motions, just putting into practice what he's been trained to do, almost robotic like. SHOW US SOMETHING WOODS!!! Some heart, some emotion, some aggression, some passion, bloody something.

Earl

Post by Earl » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:45 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 9:46 am
I think people just misunderstand what type of player Woods is and how he is used. He has never been a tackle enforcer, he never charges into the defence at a million miles an hour. His top speed has always been amble. KG used to be the same, except KG didn't rack up 150m per week.
I completely understand the player that he is and you nailed it here. I don't think he should be paid top dollar for what he offers. I even think $600k is too much for him. I have no problems with him being captain. I don't think he is that bad at that role. He doesn't talk great in the media about the club but he isn't out doing stupid stuff and bringing the Tigers into disrepute.

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 3:23 pm

This woods hate is weird . Had a good game yesteday. Our backrow is where the hate should be. Not sliding on defense and dropping balls every game.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't hate Woods at all, I am not even really upset by his output on the field.

My issue lays with his handling of his contract situation. It wouldn't have been hard for him to say that he and his manager are waiting until all final offers are tendered and then he'll make a decision, that his preference would be to stay with Wests but he will need to weigh that up with other offers and at this time he just wants to focus on captaining the Tigers and that is all he'll have to say on the matter until he makes a decision. That way he looks like he is being committed to the short term while evaluating his future and not constantly inviting speculation by looking non-committal.

It is a poor look from a club captain. Granted he only got the captaincy by default but if it is having that much of a negative influence, hand it back. The fans will respect him for that more than how it has panned out.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 4:01 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 17 Apr, 2017 10:21 pm
Funny , Taylor says it and its spin ,whatever crap you want to call it

Cleary its just climb on the bus and ride it out

This side is garbage defensively and won't get fixed before season's end and some players get moved out and quality one's get moved in

That's if we can attract quality players ......
I'm glad someone else brought it up - i didn't want to get howled down - but to me Cleary just said the same things as Taylor and Potter before him - just in a different way. People on here seem to think that previous coaches were so inept they didn't know there were problems with our edge defence. So far Cleary is just talking the same crap as the others - he will go up immensely in my eyes if he is the first to actually do something about it - either fix it or drop the players who are the problem.

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 5:24 pm

Telltails wrote:
Mon 17 Apr, 2017 11:23 pm
tiga4eva wrote:
Mon 17 Apr, 2017 10:48 pm
No, but if a Prop who is the Captain,And is a Test Player,cannot dominate and give us great go forward,that is a problem. He doesn't have any impact like Napa ,JWH, Fifita, Prior.
Not one of his best games today but he still had plenty of go forward. Woods did not lose the game today we had ample opportunity to win .
How did you think our defense out wide was today? Notice any breaks made by Parra out there;, attacking raids points scored? What effect do you think our outside men had on the outcome of the game?
I didn't say he lost us the game. I just said he looks uninspiring and had no impact on the game

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 6:25 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 4:01 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 17 Apr, 2017 10:21 pm
Funny , Taylor says it and its spin ,whatever crap you want to call it

Cleary its just climb on the bus and ride it out

This side is garbage defensively and won't get fixed before season's end and some players get moved out and quality one's get moved in

That's if we can attract quality players ......
I'm glad someone else brought it up - i didn't want to get howled down - but to me Cleary just said the same things as Taylor and Potter before him - just in a different way. People on here seem to think that previous coaches were so inept they didn't know there were problems with our edge defence. So far Cleary is just talking the same crap as the others - he will go up immensely in my eyes if he is the first to actually do something about it - either fix it or drop the players who are the problem.
He changed the right side in his very first game