Defence on tries analysis, with a few ref howlers

Sco77y

Re: Defence on tries analysis, with a few ref howlers

Post by Sco77y » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks again for this stuff, good analysis. Surely the coaching staff work on these things and point out defensive mistakes as above with video reviews etc. I can't for the life of me understand how this stuff still hasn't been fixed, especially with players on the edge rushing up and leaving unmarked men a rails run down the sideline. During Taylor's tenure there was a lot of time to fix these deficiencies but it just never happened, and none of us will ever know why..

Anyway, new coach in and hopefully these things will start to be ironed out fairly quickly.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:26 pm

Sco77y wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:06 pm
Thanks again for this stuff, good analysis. Surely the coaching staff work on these things and point out defensive mistakes as above with video reviews etc. I can't for the life of me understand how this stuff still hasn't been fixed, especially with players on the edge rushing up and leaving unmarked men a rails run down the sideline. During Taylor's tenure there was a lot of time to fix these deficiencies but it just never happened, and none of us will ever know why..

Anyway, new coach in and hopefully these things will start to be ironed out fairly quickly.
Cleary knows, he was quoted yesterday as saying Tigers fell back on old habits when the pressure was on. Well honestly also when the pressure wasn't on, they scored on the first set.

JT couldn't fix it, time will tell if Cleary can fix it or, if as has been suggested, there needs to be a clean out of players who cannot be coached out of their errors.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:33 pm

I believe Luke Brooks was at fault in every TRY ever concedded by Wests Tigers...400 SUU's to his score
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks jirskyr, really appreciate the time and effort.

Unless this defensive deficiency (especially on the right side) is addressed and rectified we will not win too many games that is for sure.

I am sure Cleary has already identified the problem - it is how to fix it that is the concern. I guess we have to have faith in the coach to rectify the problem as best he can until we can get a couple of fast outside backs to put in (probably next season). As SG said it was a body blow to miss out on Whare.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:41 pm

Good stuff.
I'd argue Kev should get extra SUUs for the second try. Bad numbering up etc as you say, but they slide across half competently, to the point where Kev can jam in on Auva'a as soon as he receives the pass - either shutting the play down there, or forcing him to make a difficult catch and pass to Hoffman.
Instead he goes for the miracle intercept and we're shot to bits.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:46 pm

hodgo wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 1:11 pm
Awesome mate really enjoyed that
Me too...smart work there....I hope our coaches do the same sort of analysis.....

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:49 pm

tigerap wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:46 pm
hodgo wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 1:11 pm
Awesome mate really enjoyed that
Me too...smart work there....I hope our coaches do the same sort of analysis.....
No need to hope, this stuff is the basics, they have proper video teams. If I'm not mistaken Simon Dwyer does video work for the Tigers at the moment.

Listen to the footballers comments, particularly Woodsie, they do recovery sessions after the match then they do video work early in the week.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:52 pm

The Fox shot of the sheds at half time showed some of the guys looking at some video on a laptop.

razor7

Post by razor7 » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm afraid the problem is not sub standard coaching by JT and Cleary (for two games). The problem is as many have stated before, too many sub standard players who simply don't have the nous to read play under pressure. Coaching can only do so much, you've got to have the cattle.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks jirskyr for that analysis,

I think our right side defence has improved with Idris there and apart from two individual errors (Nofoaluma & Moses) they had a good game.

Despite other people's opinions, I don't think Littlejohn is up to first-grade standard. I hope we can get a trade deal with Parra because Moses is a horrible defender.

I thought Idris was exceptional.

Nofoaluma just needs to be more consistent in defence and needs to have smarter decision-making. I am confident over time and especially under Cleary, Nofoaluma will be able to eliminate the defensive errors in his game to become an elite winger.

Kev needs to go but at the moment I don't think we have anyone better to replace him with. The only possible solution put Rankin or Hunt on the wing. If not maybe bring up a youngster because we have nothing to lose.

I really appreciate the effort that goes into analysing our defence and is very interesting and enjoyable reading through your posts.
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

Club Sandwich

Post by Club Sandwich » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 11:05 pm

Awesome stuff. Thanks mate.

Just shows that our frustration at Naqama's abysmal defence is not unfounded.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

Born tiger

Post by Born tiger » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 11:34 pm

Yeah really appreciate the time and effort you put in each week, Thanks.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 5:34 am

Congrats and thanks for the work. I think you need a measure called 'heart'. This team doesn't have any. With ten minutes to go we should have played with some heart and just lasted the time out.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 6:03 am

Paris Cobbs wrote:
Wed 19 Apr, 2017 5:34 am
Congrats and thanks for the work. I think you need a measure called 'heart'. This team doesn't have any. With ten minutes to go we should have played with some heart and just lasted the time out.
Also the fact neither of the 2 halves out there have the slightest idea on how to close a game out.I can excuse JLJ to a certain extent but not Moses he is all about making his highlights video.
Thanks for the great work Jirksyr and good analysis

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 7:24 am

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:26 pm
Sco77y wrote:

Cleary knows, he was quoted yesterday as saying Tigers fell back on old habits when the pressure was on. Well honestly also when the pressure wasn't on, they scored on the first set.

JT couldn't fix it, time will tell if Cleary can fix it or, if as has been suggested, there needs to be a clean out of players who cannot be coached out of their errors.
This is my point. Naiqama and Nofo are in their mid 20s,if they can't be competent at reading defence by now,they never will. The 2nd time we played the Dogs last year was embarrassing for the amount of times they beat us out wide,they'll do the same on Sunday.
The effort and time you put into this is unbelieveable mate, thank you

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 8:32 am

Sco77y wrote:

I am wondering why there hasn't been some improvement already :bash However we can only assume that things will improve with our D soon. Thank J for the great analysis you give :righton: