Wests Tigers on two paths: Cleary

willow

Post by willow » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 8:46 pm

Mon 24 Apr, 2017, 6:30am
By Alicia Newton‌, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary admits his side is on two paths after finding enough muscle late in the game to beat the Bulldogs 18-12 at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

The club's player retention has been the hottest topic at Concord for the past month and Cleary made the decision earlier in the week to pull new deals off the table for skipper Aaron Woods and Camden junior James Tedesco.

Both players put their futures aside to play their part in the Tigers' third win of the season, providing some short-term relief for the club and fans.

"We're on two paths at the moment, one is a long-term strategy and the other is a short-term precedence of this season," Cleary said post-game.

"It's a big 17 today, I was proud of every one of them.

"I thought our first half was the best we've produced in my short tenure at the club, the second half had its moments and we fumbled our way through, but it wasn't through lack of application.

"The guys understand now they are actually fit enough, it's just some more mental application than anything.

"Throughout the week and yesterday's training session it was really obvious that they were actually really focused and determined, I think that's evident in the game today.

"Today showed we're focused [on-field] and we're competitive at the moment.

"If we can continue to improve and evolve then we will end up where we deserve at the end of the year."

Two wins from three games since Cleary took the reigns has got the joint venture back on track for a finals berth and the external distraction has brought the side closer together, according to Wests Tigers back-rower Chris Lawrence.

"Obviously there have been a lot of distractions externally but every time we've got to training we enjoy each other's company," Lawrence said.

"Those boys have got a lot going on outside of those training walls but once they get in there we are there to have fun and rip in.

"If anything [footy] is an outlet for them, they don't have to think about anything else but to enjoy playing footy."

Cleary also spoke of the speculation Woods would depart the club for the Bulldogs after being photographed earlier in the week dining out with the opposition.

The Leichhardt junior was greeted by a negative response from Wests Tigers fans pre-game and again when he received the medal for best on field in an inspiring 217-metre performance.

"I think he does [have coffee with Bulldogs players] regularly, so at the end of the day it's up to Aaron and anyone else what they do in their spare time, so I thought it was fine," Cleary said.

"Obviously it's different, in the old days you wouldn't have done that but there wouldn't be as many cameras around either.

"[The booing] fans pay their money so I guess they can do what they want."

The Tigers will next face a Cronulla Sharks line-up reeling from a 16-12 loss to the Titans on Saturday.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:06 pm

Ivan Cleary just continues to impress me. I hope he's here for a long time. Professional, smart, insightful. He's a massive asset to our club and even if Woods and Tedesco bugger off we're still well placed long-term.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:10 pm

Yep cant believe the Panthers let him go, from memory they had a bad run of injuries and suspensions that year.

I could listen to him talk all day, he always looks like he has an ace up his sleeve

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm relieved to hear that he believes we're fit enough. He seems to be in their heads already.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:13 pm

Ivan oozes authority...doesn't ever seem fazed..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:17 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:11 pm
I'm relieved to hear that he believes we're fit enough. He seems to be in their heads already.
He might to reinforce this with Nofa. He looked odds on to score from that intercept then he was paddling up and down on the same spot.

foreveratiger

Post by foreveratiger » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:20 pm

Never in doubt that it was only a mater of time before Cleary would be our Coach .

Love the guy .
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:21 pm

Where the mental & physical side of things can be one and the same
Im very pleased to read this...

"The guys understand now they are actually fit enough, it's just some more mental application than anything.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:23 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:17 pm
gallagher wrote:
He might to reinforce this with Nofa. He looked odds on to score from that intercept then he was paddling up and down on the same spot.
Nofo is good over short distances, but those little tree trunks of his do tighten up over longer distances. Don't forget the Morris brothers were chasing him, they're no mugs in open space and both players hold their speed well. As a comparison though, if you look at Bonstonkers highlights of Rowdy in his prime, Brett Morris couldn't get a hand on him in a length of the field run which showed how quick he was before injuries took their toll.

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:24 pm

Definitely talking the talk and from the changes on the field has the players walking the walk. Despite players coming and going has kept his cool. Love the talk of this year and beyond with the two paths.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:26 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:21 pm
Where the mental & physical side of things can be one and the same
Im very pleased to read this...

It never added up to me Ink. I mean the performance training staff said the players were fitter and stronger than last year in pre-season training yet we seemingly hit the wall after 30 minutes in the early rounds. Since Cleary has come in we've shown much more urgency and running in knocking off the Cows, should have beaten the Eels bar for a mental lapse and ground it out with the Dogs and came out on top.

Goes to show what a difference a coach can make in the mindset of a player.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:28 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:23 pm
Yossarian wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Nofo is good over short distances, but those little tree trunks of his do tighten up over longer distances. Don't forget the Morris brothers were chasing him, they're no mugs in open space and both players hold their speed well. As a comparison though, if you look at Bonstonkers highlights of Rowdy in his prime, Brett Morris couldn't get a hand on him in a length of the field run which showed how quick he was before injuries took their toll.
Maybe but he had a pretty decent lead. We've all seen Nofo run longer and faster. He seemed to be in two minds whether to come in or go for the corner. I still think a winger should have scored there.

dazza65

Post by dazza65 » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:36 pm

He did run down Jennings last week....not too many an do that even though Jennings is getting on....
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:56 pm

He held Morris for 60m with the ball so faster than he looks.
As for Cleary it looks like its a breeze for him almost like this is exactly the type of club and squad that suits him.

His got all the answers because he does. Instinctively must gave thought this may have been rhe next job offer for him for a couple of years and looks luke his been pretend coaching us for that long.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:19 am

Yossarian wrote:
Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:28 pm
willow wrote:
Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:23 pm
Yossarian wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Maybe but he had a pretty decent lead. We've all seen Nofo run longer and faster. He seemed to be in two minds whether to come in or go for the corner. I still think a winger should have scored there.
It needs to be taken into account that Nofo is not just a winger and is often an extra forward who does a lot of the down and dirty work for us. I think he did pretty well given that he had already done a lot of that work and was carrying the ball. If he hadn't veered infield and then back out again nearing the line he may just have made it but I doubt it.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:38 am

The big change for me was he kept Woods on for the whole first half..correct me if I am wrong but that is the first time in a long time we didn't concede points in the last 5 minutes of 1st half

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:36 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:13 pm
Ivan oozes authority...doesn't ever seem fazed..

I REALLY LIKE BEING ON THIS BUS....it's an exciting ride so far...you just never know what's gunna happen next.... :D
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

TripleB

Post by TripleB » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 7:43 am

Just the way he speaks makes you feel confident. So relaxed and straight to the point and seems to be getting better results from the players. Early days, but I really like what I see.