Kevin Naiqama... Inexcusable

jrtiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Kevin Naiqama... Inexcusable

Unread post by jrtiger » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 10:32 pm

Was at the game sitting on the hill when Chad Townsend came screaming through to score the try that ultimately decided the match. Why did it happen? Kevin Naiqama, our fullback at the time was at first marker on the fifth tackle. Watch the footage. Refs & dodgy plays might have hurt us but that's just amateur hour. :deadhorse:

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Sabre » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 11:03 pm

The blokes not a fullback. He was always going to struggle with it positionally. I'm prepared to cut him some slack for that one.

Harvey
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 11:09 pm

Think you'll find the number 6 floating around both the tries scored off kicks without attacking the ball with too much purpose.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 397 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 30 Apr, 2017 11:11 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sun 30 Apr, 2017 11:09 pm
Think you'll find the number 6 floating around both the tries scored off kicks without attacking the ball with too much purpose.
I believe the 6 was tuckered out from yelling at his team mates...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Cosimo_Zaretti
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Tue 02 May, 2017 1:38 am

So much going on with players trying to rotate makeshift positions. Naiqama was the third fullback of the night and was mostly pretty safe at the back. Everyone was trying to be everywhere, there were going to be mistakes.

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Tue 02 May, 2017 4:19 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Tue 02 May, 2017 1:38 am
So much going on with players trying to rotate makeshift positions. Naiqama was the third fullback of the night and was mostly pretty safe at the back. Everyone was trying to be everywhere, there were going to be mistakes.
Yes sometimes you have to give players a break. I really don't have a high opinion of Naiqama, but I am happy to give him a pass on that error. And I suppose would it be wrong of me to think any of the other backs might have realized he'd been trapped at marker and ghosted over to cover his position.

In other teams you will often see the 5/8 assume the role in an emergency.... oh wait :o

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 02 May, 2017 5:48 am

It happens in most games, particulalry wingers or like the other night, fill in fb's

Wingers come in and make a tackle and get stuck at marker most good halves will head down their side next play

tiga4eva
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tiga4eva » Tue 02 May, 2017 7:05 am

Moses began his nrl career as a fullback. He has little game awareness. We've dodged a bullet

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 397 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 02 May, 2017 7:34 am

Poor Nofoluma trying to hobble across made me sad and happy at the same time...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Tue 02 May, 2017 7:37 am

He filled in at 1 but that doesnt mean he had the awareness to cover like one
Out of habit he was getting involved in the plays like he would playing his normal role instead of floating at the back.

I can excuse that error too but not where 4 people ran a block to the bomb but no one attempted to make a catch

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by mike » Tue 02 May, 2017 7:44 am

Happy to cut him some slack on that one. He struggles positionally when playing on the wing, he was always going to struggle playing fullback. The real question is were was his mates to cover for him once he was at caught at marker?
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:23 am

mike wrote:
Tue 02 May, 2017 7:44 am
Happy to cut him some slack on that one. He struggles positionally when playing on the wing, he was always going to struggle playing fullback. The real question is were was his mates to cover for him once he was at caught at marker?
He struggles defensively in any position i am still trying to forget his issues in the centres

Russell
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:45 am

jrtiger wrote:
Sun 30 Apr, 2017 10:32 pm
Was at the game sitting on the hill when Chad Townsend came screaming through to score the try that ultimately decided the match. Why did it happen? Kevin Naiqama, our fullback at the time was at first marker on the fifth tackle. Watch the footage. Refs & dodgy plays might have hurt us but that's just amateur hour. :deadhorse:
I think you are being more than harsh on this occasion.

He would have been at marker / in the line to give some of the hard working forwards (down to 2 on the bench) a bit of a respite. Just filling in at full back, no one else filled in for him though.

That's alright though keep putting the boot in, you obviously have an agenda with Kev.

He is not the best player but he gives 100% every game - if you want to blame someone for losing the game, look no further than Moses.

ryanda01
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by ryanda01 » Tue 02 May, 2017 8:59 am

Russell wrote:
Tue 02 May, 2017 8:45 am
jrtiger wrote:

He would have been at marker / in the line to give some of the hard working forwards (down to 2 on the bench) a bit of a respite. Just filling in at full back, no one else filled in for him though.

That's alright though keep putting the boot in, you obviously have an agenda with Kev.

He is not the best player but he gives 100% every game - if you want to blame someone for losing the game, look no further than Moses.
This. Hard to cop a try on the chin but like Geo said, if Suli et al noticed Frozone was in at marker, then they should have dropped back. But being 2 down means even more scrambling. Take nothing away from Townsand who had the foresight to notice that the incumbant FB was up and kick through.

hugh1954
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by hugh1954 » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:06 am

I think Kevin needs some slack, i have been noticing last couple of games that he is trying his heart out in both attack and defence, especially taking high uncomfortable balls .

tsjonathan
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Tue 02 May, 2017 9:16 am

why wasn't moses moved to fullback? I've seen him play plenty of times at full back in u20s. he's good @ fullback

jrtiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by jrtiger » Tue 02 May, 2017 10:43 am

Russell wrote:
Tue 02 May, 2017 8:45 am
jrtiger wrote:

Just thought it was a play that definitely cost us... While he did well and was reasonably solid, this play and not attacking the ball when Graham got the ball to Holmes were both crucial plays and on both times Cronulla got the points.

I have no agenda with Kev mate just don't think he's a first grader. He just makes silly defensive decisions and while is a competent attacker, he lets in more tries than he scores.

Moses' attitude is horrible and his performance complemented that, it's just I felt as if while he played terribly, there was another thread to throw shade at him.

jirskyr
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 02 May, 2017 11:37 am

Forget Naiqama, how does Wade Graham make is THROUGH our line to catch a bomb uncontested. If you want to let them go uncontested, so be it, so long as they are in front of you and your defensive line is set.

For Graham to go through the line then catch it is ridiculous.

As pointed out both those kicks landed in roughly the same area, around where Mitch Moses defends.

And as for Naiqama, if a FB gets caught at marker, the wingers and/or halves need to drop back to defend kicks. It's not as if Townsend put it deep into the in-goal to chase, he just popped it over the line.

Return to “Round 9: Wests Tigers vs Cronulla Sharks”