Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Re: Lawrence

Unread post by sheer64 » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:12 pm

king sirro wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 9:51 pm
Im going on a rant so forgive me.

I cant believe how much crap this guy cops. Sooooo many on here say he shouldn't be in first grade, he isn't a backrower, he is a liability.....well give me this liability over anyone else any day.

Can those (and its not all of you) who dont rate him please tell where he falls short? He can have a problem with his hands but thats it. His work tonight was head and shoulders above everyone and has been consistently good week in week out.

For mine, he plays all over Elijah Taylor who seems to be the forums love child. Dont get me wrong, i like Elijah, but i cant understand the love for him in comparison to the dislike of Lawrence. Taylor does not make the hard yards like Lawrence. He doesn't hit and stick in defence as effectively as Lawrence, he doesn't get involved in attack as much as Lawrence. So please tell me why Taylor is so loved and Lawrence is so much maligned? For the Lawrence detractors i want explanations to support your view against the guy.

Lawrence is all heart amd i hope Cleary is seeing it.
I love the guy but if we want to be competitive we would need gun players around him. ET was best on field tonight, Lawrence was not.
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:15 pm

sheer64 wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:12 pm
king sirro wrote:

I cant believe how much crap this guy cops. Sooooo many on here say he shouldn't be in first grade, he isn't a backrower, he is a liability.....well give me this liability over anyone else any day.

Can those (and its not all of you) who dont rate him please tell where he falls short? He can have a problem with his hands but thats it. His work tonight was head and shoulders above everyone and has been consistently good week in week out.

For mine, he plays all over Elijah Taylor who seems to be the forums love child. Dont get me wrong, i like Elijah, but i cant understand the love for him in comparison to the dislike of Lawrence. Taylor does not make the hard yards like Lawrence. He doesn't hit and stick in defence as effectively as Lawrence, he doesn't get involved in attack as much as Lawrence. So please tell me why Taylor is so loved and Lawrence is so much maligned? For the Lawrence detractors i want explanations to support your view against the guy.

I love the guy but if we want to be competitive we would need gun players around him. ET was best on field tonight, Lawrence was not.
Both need a good pack around them to shine.
Never know ..... it may happen. :pray:

Seantice
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:15 pm

king sirro wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:11 pm
Seantice wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:06 pm
Him he was best on the field when he only made 47 metres in attack?? jeez that showsvyou how crap this team is. Dont get me wrong lawrence has been going well all year, I just fail to see how he could be best on ground with those numbers.

Not one player stood out for me. The whole team needs a good look at themselves.
oh how i love the numbers guys. The guys who immediately look at the stats.

Look at the defensive plays he had to come up with, effort upon effort at times too. He took the tough runs on top of this.

Stats are so overrated it isnt funny. Look at the context of games and the contribution to that context. Thats how you judge a Rugby League performance, not by reading numbers.
I watched the game. I didnt notice lawrence much to be honest. He goes about his business. Et and mckillrick also went hard in defence. Im not saying he wasnt best on ground. Im just saying if he was then thats how terrible we are going.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 225 times
Been liked: 344 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:17 pm

king sirro wrote:
Seantice wrote:
Him he was best on the field when he only made 47 metres in attack?? jeez that showsvyou how crap this team is. Dont get me wrong lawrence has been going well all year, I just fail to see how he could be best on ground with those numbers.

Not one player stood out for me. The whole team needs a good look at themselves.

Look at the defensive plays he had to come up with, effort upon effort at times too. He took the tough runs on top of this.

Stats are so overrated it isnt funny. Look at the context of games and the contribution to that context. Thats how you judge a Rugby League performance, not by reading numbers.
x1000..

I was there and everyone of his carries were tough...His D was whacking blokes the sound was great...stick stats in your ear...Belted Burghi a few times ..so much so he switched to attacking or right side..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Seantice

Unread post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:18 pm

Honestly looking at how we are, i tyhink we need an extra big bopper stsrting at lock eg like burgess. Two props for us isnt working. Thenwe have to rely on Et lawrence and ginger bloke to make metres (which they dont). Depressing really.

BodhiTiger

Unread post by BodhiTiger » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:18 pm

king sirro wrote:

Relax Sirro.
He will be there next year and with a REAL team behind him we will all see what you are trying to get through to the non-believers.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

Earl
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:20 pm

Lawrence sometimes misses a tackle and sometimes drops the ball.

I reckon ET is a great player but ET needs a pack of forwards who can do the big hit-ups and big hits in defence. ET is a worker with some excellent skill around the middle of the park.

Lawrence consistently belts it up at pace and keeps tackling all day. He is a different player to ET but one who can fit into any team and do his job.

To add to that he is quality person off the field.

I reckon that Lawrence should be the first picked player in the team and given the captaincy until he retires. Just a great club player. If we had a team with his ability and heart we'd win the comp every year.

king sirro
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by king sirro » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:20 pm

:roll
sheer64 wrote:
king sirro wrote:

ET was best on ground? Lol. Ok.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Seantice

Unread post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:22 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:17 pm
king sirro wrote:
Seantice wrote:

x1000..

I was there and everyone of his carries were tough...His D was whacking blokes the sound was great...stick stats in your ear...Belted Burghi a few times ..so much so he switched to attacking or right side..
I dont take much notice of ststs either. Look at woods. his stats look great but his actual ourput isnt very constructive to the team.

Thats great that he wacked guys. maybe he can show the other forwards how to do it.

Earl

Unread post by Earl » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:23 pm

Seantice wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:18 pm
Honestly looking at how we are, i tyhink we need an extra big bopper stsrting at lock eg like burgess. Two props for us isnt working. Thenwe have to rely on Et lawrence and ginger bloke to make metres (which they dont). Depressing really.
I rate ET but this is the problem with ET and why they let him go from Penrith. He has a great all round game but he is small middle forward. Look at Burgess and his impact compared to ET.

I think now you basically need 6 middle forwards and 2 edge forwards.

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:25 pm

No one ever questions Lawrence's effort or his commitment to the club and most of us remember the days when he was an an excitement machine with speed to burn out in the centres before the injury. However.....despite having a solid game tonight, where, together with ET and Ava, he was probably the Tigers' best, he still does not have what it takes to be an effective first grade second rower because;
1. He has little to no tackle breaking ability and lacks pace even for a forward.
2. He can easily be beaten by lateral movement in defense.
3. He has terrible hands.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Lawrence as a fantastic clubman and as a top bloke but, if we are having to rely on him as one of our starting second rowers next year, we are not moving forward or upgrading the team. In my opinion he is barely bench standard and, to me, it's merely his big contract and untouchable standing within the club that keeps him in first grade. I also suggest, King Sirro, that he might be your poster boy, the way you defend him.

Seantice

Unread post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:27 pm

king sirro wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:20 pm
sheer64 wrote:
king sirro wrote:

prob not. but he did make over 60 tackles.. Not a bad effort.

king sirro

Unread post by king sirro » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:27 pm

Earl wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:23 pm
Seantice wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:18 pm
I rate ET but this is the problem with ET and why they let him go from Penrith. He has a great all round game but he is small middle forward. Look at Burgess and his impact compared to ET.

I think now you basically need 6 middle forwards and 2 edge forwards.
I agree with this. ET is no doubt a good player with great heart, but he is simple too small and ineffective to play in the middle. He played his best footy on the edge at the Warriors, running good lines. But does he deserve to take Chris Lawrences spot on the edge next year? I dont think he does. Cleary needs to move ET to the right edge now to see how that goes, then we will have a better idea. The middle needs to be big players. Alioai at lock.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

king sirro

Unread post by king sirro » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:28 pm

Seantice wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:27 pm
king sirro wrote:
sheer64 wrote:
king sirro wrote:

prob not. but he did make over 60 tackles.. Not a bad effort.
I admire his workrate defensively, thats for sure.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Earl

Unread post by Earl » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:28 pm

Stevied - I disagree with your points. He can definitely bust a tackle and he is reasonably fast for a forward. He consistently hits it up hard and makes good metres with every hit-up.

Yes he has poor hands at times.

king sirro

Unread post by king sirro » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:31 pm

stevied wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:25 pm
No one ever questions Lawrence's effort or his commitment to the club and most of us remember the days when he was an an excitement machine with speed to burn out in the centres before the injury. However.....despite having a solid game tonight, where, together with ET and Ava, he was probably the Tigers' best, he still does not have what it takes to be an effective first grade second rower because;
1. He has little to no tackle breaking ability and lacks pace even for a forward.
2. He can easily be beaten by lateral movement in defense.
3. He has terrible hands.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Lawrence as a fantastic clubman and as a top bloke but, if we are having to rely on him as one of our starting second rowers next year, we are not moving forward or upgrading the team. In my opinion he is barely bench standard and, to me, it's merely his big contract and untouchable standing within the club that keeps him in first grade. I also suggest, King Sirro, that he might be your poster boy, the way you defend him.
Thanks for giving your reasons.

Personally i only agree with the poor hands part. For me, his speed is fantastic for a backrower, and he doesnt get beat on the outside anymore than the top backrowers do.

But appreciate you saying why you dont rate him.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Seantice

Unread post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:31 pm

Earl wrote:
Lawrence sometimes misses a tackle and sometimes drops the ball.

I reckon ET is a great player but ET needs a pack of forwards who can do the big hit-ups and big hits in defence. ET is a worker with some excellent skill around the middle of the park.

Lawrence consistently belts it up at pace and keeps tackling all day. He is a different player to ET but one who can fit into any team and do his job.

To add to that he is quality person off the field.

I reckon that Lawrence should be the first picked player in the team and given the captaincy until he retires. Just a great club player. If we had a team with his ability and heart we'd win the comp every year.
Heart definately. Ability no. If he has the ability then why isnt he playing origin?

18thman
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by 18thman » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:32 pm

king sirro wrote:
Seantice wrote:

One stat you can't ignore is that 5 backrowers only made 200 metres between them................ :oops:

Return to “Round 10: Wests Tigers vs South Sydney”