Lawrence

mtd

Re: Lawrence

Post by mtd » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:33 pm

king sirro wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 9:51 pm
Im going on a rant so forgive me.

I cant believe how much crap this guy cops. Sooooo many on here say he shouldn't be in first grade, he isn't a backrower, he is a liability.....well give me this liability over anyone else any day.

Can those (and its not all of you) who dont rate him please tell where he falls short? He can have a problem with his hands but thats it. His work tonight was head and shoulders above everyone and has been consistently good week in week out.

For mine, he plays all over Elijah Taylor who seems to be the forums love child. Dont get me wrong, i like Elijah, but i cant understand the love for him in comparison to the dislike of Lawrence. Taylor does not make the hard yards like Lawrence. He doesn't hit and stick in defence as effectively as Lawrence, he doesn't get involved in attack as much as Lawrence. So please tell me why Taylor is so loved and Lawrence is so much maligned? For the Lawrence detractors i want explanations to support your view against the guy.

Lawrence is all heart amd i hope Cleary is seeing it.
He was inconsistent for a long time.... Injuries maybe, but a lot of basic stuff like dropping the ball, running over the side line, missing tackles etc etc..

In saying that, he has transitioned to the back row really well now and is solid. If we let go of him a year or two back I wouldn't of had a problem, however he has really showed his worth this year...

Also in saying that, if he added a step to that line he runs all the time he might break the line a bit more and standout... but that's nit picking, he's solid enough.

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:34 pm

I didn't watch the game, so I'm not basing this comment on tonight's performance. But a few issues I have with lawrence:
1. As KS pointed out, he drops a lot of balls
2. In the red zone, he doesn't offer anything in attack, other than that inside shoulder line he runs, half the time which he drops (I'll acknowledge brooks often gives him a hospital pass)
3. He doesn't offer his half enough support in defense
4. He doesn't have a high work rate
5. He doesn't bend the line in attack
I also don't think he is on field captaincy material. Would be best suited as a "club captain" where he can represent WT off the field.
I get that he's a tigers life member, and a great guy, but I feel that as tigers supporters we are often too easy on some of our players. Sue is another example of this, but that discussion is for another day.
In saying this, I agree the opinions of ET and Lawrence are disproportionate to their actual contributions.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:35 pm

Lawrence cant play much better than he did tonight.

He tries hard but has no impact with the ball, is easily beaten laterally in defence, does not successfully cover his halves, has hands like feet, has lost his speed and has not got the motor to go 80 in the second toughest position on the field.

He was our best tonight .. maybe 6/10.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:35 pm

I dont care whos better. We obviously have a problem. ET, lawrence and mcqueen will not work. If we go up against sides like souths or the raiders there going to run over the top of us.

So who moves to bench? we need another strong forward to play in the starting side who breaks lines. eg coen hess, chrighton.

stevied

Post by stevied » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:36 pm

Ha ha, it's what the Forum's all about, having a discussion and agreeing to disagree! No problem King Sirro!
Last edited by stevied on Fri 12 May, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earl

Post by Earl » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:36 pm

Seantice wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:31 pm
Earl wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:20 pm
Lawrence sometimes misses a tackle and sometimes drops the ball.

I reckon ET is a great player but ET needs a pack of forwards who can do the big hit-ups and big hits in defence. ET is a worker with some excellent skill around the middle of the park.

Lawrence consistently belts it up at pace and keeps tackling all day. He is a different player to ET but one who can fit into any team and do his job.

To add to that he is quality person off the field.

I reckon that Lawrence should be the first picked player in the team and given the captaincy until he retires. Just a great club player. If we had a team with his ability and heart we'd win the comp every year.
Heart definately. Ability no. If he has the ability then why isnt he playing origin?
I don't think he is good enough to play origin but who cares. There are 4 origin backrowers or at best 6 including reserves. That doesn't mean that Lawrence isn't a great NRL level player.

When you are developing a team you can't have all superstars. Lawrence is a player you can rely on.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:36 pm

He doesn't break the line every second run, and doesn't cut the defender in half with every tackle. Sack him.

All jokes aside he can run good lines, defends well when the men out/inside him know what they're doing but he cannot play 80 minutes anymore.

Certainly a player who knows his limitations and plays to his strengths.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:47 pm

I said that hes been playing well this year. I just dont like the idea that a few people are putting his great off field persona and on field 'effort' as a basis for being best on ground and the first player picked next year.

I dont want to get rid of him. But i also dont want us to get into this because hes a great guy attitude where we cant drop him. Hes shown loyalty and so will we. Make no mistake though, our forward pack has not performed since gareth ellis left. Lawrence is apart of those few years. Times are ticking for all our forwards..

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Fri 12 May, 2017 10:54 pm

king sirro wrote:

I cant believe how much crap this guy cops. Sooooo many on here say he shouldn't be in first grade, he isn't a backrower, he is a liability.....well give me this liability over anyone else any day.

Can those (and its not all of you) who dont rate him please tell where he falls short? He can have a problem with his hands but thats it. His work tonight was head and shoulders above everyone and has been consistently good week in week out.

For mine, he plays all over Elijah Taylor who seems to be the forums love child. Dont get me wrong, i like Elijah, but i cant understand the love for him in comparison to the dislike of Lawrence. Taylor does not make the hard yards like Lawrence. He doesn't hit and stick in defence as effectively as Lawrence, he doesn't get involved in attack as much as Lawrence. So please tell me why Taylor is so loved and Lawrence is so much maligned? For the Lawrence detractors i want explanations to support your view against the guy.

From experience the " Love childs" usually end up most hated - give it time and few more poor performances. ET wont escape none of the others have.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:01 pm

Telltails wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:54 pm
king sirro wrote:

From experience the " Love childs" usually end up most hated - give it time and few more poor performances. ET wont escape none of the others have.
Honestly i dont find not one of our forwards exciting. Im especially dissapointed aloli didnt kick on from last year.

Tigers17

Post by Tigers17 » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:05 pm

Stop kidding yourselves, the only place for Lawrence in 2018 would be on the bench.
Can someone please tell me what other club would have him starting in their pack. NO ONE.
And it makes me sad, because Chris Lawrence bleeds every week for the Tigers, but he has had too many injuries and is simply too small.
As for the rest of the pack, Aloiai, Liddle have potential, Taylor tries hard.
Grant is well past his best.
Edwards hasn't played well for the last 3 years.
Sue will never get any better, his game will always be mistake riddled.
Seumanufagai, in my opinion is soft, always has been.
Mcllwrick tries hard, but how many clubs has he had.
We need a total change of attitude, thank God Josh Reynolds is on his way.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:11 pm

Tigers17 wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 11:05 pm
Stop kidding yourselves, the only place for Lawrence in 2018 would be on the bench.
Can someone please tell me what other club would have him starting in their pack. NO ONE.
And it makes me sad, because Chris Lawrence bleeds every week for the Tigers, but he has had too many injuries and is simply too small.
× 2.

Lawrence has been apart off a forward pack that has been dominated forbyears. I want a fresh start myself.

Happy for lawrence to be our utility on the bench.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:45 pm

Tigers17 wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 11:05 pm
Can you tell me which other club would have Lawrence taking early hit ups in the set 10m out from his own line? Do you see Josh Jackson, Wade Graham or other top line 2nd rowers doing it?
The limited number of big forwards we have are either lazy, or soft and stand and watch Lawrence, Suli, Nofa etc do the dirty work.

Who would take him, put him on the open market with the tigers left to stump up a portion of his contract, and you might be surprised who would take him. I also think that he would make more of an impact at other clubs than he does at the tigers because chances are that they have forwards that will do more of the dirty work, and halves that might put him in a bit of space rather than throwing him passes at the line, or using him as a decoy for a showpony wrapping around out the back

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:48 pm

Seantice wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:31 pm
Earl wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 10:20 pm
Lawrence sometimes misses a tackle and sometimes drops the ball.

I reckon ET is a great player but ET needs a pack of forwards who can do the big hit-ups and big hits in defence. ET is a worker with some excellent skill around the middle of the park.

Lawrence consistently belts it up at pace and keeps tackling all day. He is a different player to ET but one who can fit into any team and do his job.

To add to that he is quality person off the field.

I reckon that Lawrence should be the first picked player in the team and given the captaincy until he retires. Just a great club player. If we had a team with his ability and heart we'd win the comp every year.
Heart definately. Ability no. If he has the ability then why isnt he playing origin?
I don't like to get in to stuff like this normally but that is a flat out stupid metric for measuring ability. 4 blokes play back row in Origin, maybe a couple of benchies on top. So if they're not in the top 5/6 of their position they're not worth it?
Nofo hasn't played Origin, probably never will. Jamie Buhrer played Origin and he'd be lucky to make our side.
There's nothing wrong with playing Chris Lawrence as a starting 12 in the NRL, the bloke definitely holds his own. It becomes a problem when he's in a pack with Sue, Ava, Edwards and ET. He made the most impact of anyone out there in a Tigers jersey tonight (bar Tom Burges), often doing the dirty work.
Got my 3 votes tonight, would be surprised if the players saw it all that differently either

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:49 pm

Chris Lawrence - 80 mins, 47 meters, 30 tackles, 6 missed tackles

Joel Edwards - 48 minutes, 59 meters, 29 tackles, 3 missed and Edwards tackles actually hurt and force errors

stryker

Post by stryker » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:55 pm

Lol those stats are what we are talking about. Rowdy is a just making up the numbers.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:57 pm

stryker wrote:
Fri 12 May, 2017 11:55 pm
Lol those stats are what we are talking about. Rowdy is a just making up the numbers.
Apparently he is planning on announcing that he is giving the game away after next week. Will make his comeback not long after origin

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 12 May, 2017 11:59 pm

Our best by a mile. His defence has been flawless since Cleary took over.