We cant keep carrying ET

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: We cant keep carrying ET

Unread post by Black'n'White » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:31 pm

I think you covered it well, for this minute in our existence.... but on the same token he is as good for us as he is detrimental this season.

Fast forward to next year, and Reynolds changes the dynamic alot, he is Foran half the skill 5 times the heart, a running 6 that plays effectively as a ball playing backrower.

You can either say ET doesnt fit because our back rowers are sub par, hence the need for a bigger lock. But turn it on its head and say our back rowers dont fit because we are using a workhorse ball playing lock... For all my reasoning, I cannot blame our lack of penetration on a single man who produces so much honest work (he doesnt pad stats like Farah third man in a tackle, he is first up hitting), and let the 2nd row off scott free.

I suppose my argument is put any second row, and a complete front row around Taylor and he is still an integral cog in the machine. I dont think we could swap many of our pack into other line ups and say as much.

So I kinda agree, good cog, wrong machne. Does the cog need to change or the machine... thats the big question.

clokan
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by clokan » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:31 pm

king sirro wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:25 pm
clokan wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:22 pm
can't expect the lock to make yards when the forward pack is getting owned
This makes no sense to me at all. He is one of the guys employed to make yards and ensure out pack doesnt get owned. If you said "you cant expect the halves to do anything when the forward pack is getting owned" i would agree with you, but you cant say that about one of our middle player starters cos thats where getting owned starts.
maybe I could have said it better, our forward pack got owned I don't see the need to single him out, none of them delivered

mtd
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by mtd » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:33 pm

We lost 36-0....
Carrying Elijah Taylor?
Lol, come on.

Our team is second string at the moment, 36-0 is actually not too bad considering the strength of Brisbane and the team we had on the field tonight

mtd
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by mtd » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:33 pm

We lost 36-0....
Carrying Elijah Taylor?
Lol, come on.

Our team is second string at the moment, 36-0 is actually not too bad considering the strength of Brisbane and the team we had on the field tonight

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:38 pm

Our backrow has been our achilles heel since Ellis left. Recruitment for next season has had to be concentrated on the front row because of the departures of Woods & Ava, but we are going to have to make a play for another strong running second rower besides McQueen very soon, otherwise it will be just be more of the same next year.

I agree with the OP re Taylor - love the guy's commitment and passion, but he is really just a workhorse in the mould of Alan Tongue, whereas most of the lock forwards he listed above are genuine game-breakers.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by sheer64 » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:39 pm

hobbo wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:29 pm
I feel sorry for the bloke , he busts his arse each week .
With Plodders like Sharon Woods and Tanya Grant up front the poor bastards on a hiding to nothing each week .
:roll Sharon and Tanya in netball would be better options,
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

Club Sandwich
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Club Sandwich » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:41 pm

Respect your opinion but I disagree. ET is one of our best. It's hard for him to do much behind a limp forward pack offering nothing.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

matchball
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by matchball » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:44 pm

He is doing the defensive load of 2 men. Give him a break.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 334 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:49 pm

I have a better thread title...we can't afford Elijah Taylor to keep carrying the team...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 19 May, 2017 10:56 pm

He is doing so much covering defence for his inept pack .... so it's no wonder his attack is lacking.
I believe that you will find that there is a great improvement in both ET and Lawrence next year with the introduction of a new pack and Reynolds to direct them.

TIGER
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Fri 19 May, 2017 11:03 pm

Well our backrow won't be getting much better next season, don't expect big things from McQueen he's pretty stock standard.

Russta
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by Russta » Fri 19 May, 2017 11:11 pm

Geo. wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:49 pm
I have a better thread title...we can't afford Elijah Taylor to keep carrying the team...
Spot on Geo. Without ET our score lines would horrendous.

fergiefurr
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Fri 19 May, 2017 11:32 pm

I think carrying him is pretty harsh however to some extent I agree. I'd love to go back to a time where the 13 is guy who makes 40+ tackles and ball plays a bit but sadly that no longer exists. Whilst I love ET and think he brings something to the team we simply can't afford a 13 who doesn't contribute hit ups. A much better balance for the team would be

8. Woods
10. Ava
11. ET
13. Sue

With 2 props on the bench and ET playing 80 mins on the right edge. Using ET as a wade graham type player who can also ball play would be perfect.

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Fri 19 May, 2017 11:50 pm

It's a fair point tbh. We need his defensive workrate in the 17, especially as the rest of the pack is so poor defensively.
He's also one of the only guys that can actually slow down the play the ball.
Whether he plays 13 or on an edge, he needs to play big mins for said reasons.
But him being a second #6 or whatever JT had him doing was an issue - he can make hard runs and make good metres when needed, but he's too worn out from tackling everything that moves as no one else will.

Black'n'White
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Sat 20 May, 2017 12:11 am

fergiefurr wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 11:32 pm
I think carrying him is pretty harsh however to some extent I agree. I'd love to go back to a time where the 13 is guy who makes 40+ tackles and ball plays a bit but sadly that no longer exists. Whilst I love ET and think he brings something to the team we simply can't afford a 13 who doesn't contribute hit ups. A much better balance for the team would be

8. Woods
10. Ava
11. ET
13. Sue

With 2 props on the bench and ET playing 80 mins on the right edge. Using ET as a wade graham type player who can also ball play would be perfect.
I can see exactly where you are coming from, but with only Mat and Pack as our only real legitimate props, i think we are short one if not two real pigs.

I think we forget keeping up with the jonses, and play Mcqueen, Sue and Aloia as rotation giving Taylor a rest... Could even trade in Lawrence and swap Sue to the pigs, as Chris is honestly solid working the ruck with speed..... thats alot of thump for most packs to deal with, and frees up Taylor to link with Reynolds.

I honestly, in my heart of hearts, know Josh will entirely change our opinions and style as a 6. I think many are stuck on the soft D 6 of benji and Moses, and arent calculating for his inclusion thinking forward.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Sat 20 May, 2017 5:57 am

Can't agree, ET is a key man if we are to succeed. Give him a pack to work with and he will shine.

I do not recall a game in recent times where we have rolled up the field on the back of our pack.

We have our wingers and centres taking the first two to three hit ups and then our pack will take 1 or 2 and we throw up the midfield bomb.

Our problem is, Grant, Sue, Ava and the back row.

Twodogs
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Twodogs » Sat 20 May, 2017 7:00 am

I get what you're saying, but minus a workaholic we concede an extra ten points per week. It's simply a matter of where you play him. 5/8 sounds worthy of consideration though.

Chicken Faced Killa
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Chicken Faced Killa » Sat 20 May, 2017 7:22 am

Can't blame ET it's the balance of the backrow that is the problem. We have no one with any punch to take some heat off the props. The concern is we haven't signed anyone to change it for next year. We need to start giving some young guys a taste of the top grade to start preparing them.

Return to “Round 11: Wests Tigers vs Brisbane Broncos”