Re: Nofo

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 20 May, 2017 8:08 am

Black'n'White wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:58 pm
Spacecub wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:51 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:37 pm
We've beefed up the pack for 2018 which is great, but we desperately need at least 2 quality outside backs, plus a fullback. I'm stumped as to why we haven't been active. No interest in Gagai or Chambers. Its not like we don't have the money. Ridiculous.
Agree with you 1000%...gagai would have been ideal...yet we are signing unknowns like Gamble and lolohea
Lolohea isnt an unknown. Without exagerating he got pushed out of the Warriors FG by Foran and Tuivasa Sheck... 50% of teams in the comp would trade out for those 2. Lolohea, is young, skilled, and extremely dis-enfranchised. Unkown is a ridiculous statement.
Not unknown , but never been able to get a regular spot on one of the weaker teams in the game. I've seen a few of his games, and they've been mostly a non event, there's worse around , but maybe Cleary sees something that not very many others do, I'm hoping he's not Rankin mark 2.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 21 May, 2017 1:32 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 20 May, 2017 8:03 am
Tigrr wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:25 pm
He needs to become a fullback maybe ???
Hell No. he's pretty ordinary under high balls
That can be refined in the off-season. As it stands we don't have a fullback for next year unless Heleta is going to be thrown in there. When Tedesco is missing through the Origin period I would be giving Nofo a trial run at fullback for a few games.
It is pretty much a guaranteed 4 points every time the opposition target his side of the field at present, not all his fault, but something needs needs to change out there ASAP.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 22 May, 2017 10:29 am

Geo. wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 11:27 pm
Black'n'White wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:50 pm
Im not going to lie, I like the guy, so I may be a little bias, but i dont think he is getting done all the time because he isnt numbering up... i think he may be the symptom, and is being done more often than not because the inside men leave him an overlap.

I know he has bad calls in him no doubt, but it think he is outnumbered more often than not, so cops heat for failures in the middle.

I try to watch him closely, and I cannot figure it out. His calls arent great, but the numbers to do him in are already there, its kind of as if it doesnt matter who he chooses to hit he is damned, and is flopping at intercept reading poorly to make up for it.
This...

Nofoaluma has his issues sure ...the whole right side is to compressed they do not slide from the middle...plain to see athe the ground...Nofoaluma stays on his wing there would be a 10-15m hole between his centre for the opposition to strole through...the few times they did adjust well Nofoluma took his opposite into touch...
I agree with a lot of this, often wingers get exposed from inside mistakes. That being said, Nofo also does find himself in bad positions of his own accord and he doesn't have the speed to quickly adjust, he really gets stuck when he comes in/up. He's also not tall, so they don't struggle to float the ball over him.

Now I'm all for the winger moving in when the centre does, but if the centre moves up and stops, the winger should not keep coming forward/in, which Nofo has done this year several times.

Of the defensive issues leading to tries, I have pegged Nofo at 3rd worst, I'm 2 weeks out of date, but it's about right. Mitcheel was the worst, then Kev, though Kev's been a bit quiet on the mistakes since they shifted him.

What I honestly believe is that Nofo is not particularly good at reading the shape of an attack. He's always there and 100% committed to what he is doing, but sometimes there is the wrong spot. Especially he seems to struggle with trusting his inside 2 to push across in cover, I've taken screenshots of him at times standing next to his centre whilst the ball shifts to the wing. The Dragons game comes to mind quickly.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Mon 22 May, 2017 12:17 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 19 May, 2017 10:37 pm
We've beefed up the pack for 2018 which is great, but we desperately need at least 2 quality outside backs, plus a fullback. I'm stumped as to why we haven't been active. No interest in Gagai or Chambers. Its not like we don't have the money. Ridiculous.
Not targeting you specifically Gunners, but I hate that argument. Unless people are in our recruitment team, it's highly unlikely that they know we don't have any interest. I'm sure we've at the very least enquired about Gagai and Chambers, it would be irresponsible not to, but whether they're willing to come/we can offer the right package is a different story.
I'd love either one of them, but Nofo is a good player who needs help and some good defensive coaching, not the first head on the chopping block in my opinion; does far too much of the dirty work to replace with a Hunt or Milone.

razzledazzle

Post by razzledazzle » Mon 22 May, 2017 7:03 pm

I was at the game and I think it would be harsh to judge Nofo on his defense. The forwards were lethargic from 1st minute and bunched in the middle. When the Broncos spread the ball there was no sliding D, and the winger/centre were always going to fail in a 3 on 2 situation. There was one try in particular where one of the Broncos wondered over to the right side to create an overlap while the ball was being played. Everyone at Suncorp could see what they were doing but our defence was clueless - sure enough its was a simple overlap and try. Being surrounded by 20,000 Broncos is not fun when you get flogged by 36-0.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 22 May, 2017 7:12 pm

What is highlighted is the fact our best defenders in the outside backs are an 18 year old and a player with 3 games at the club. Considering we have an SOO rep and two other players with considerable NRL experience it gives an indication of the problem.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Mon 22 May, 2017 8:26 pm

A question. Isn't the fullback supposed to count the numbers and play a big part in organizing the defence as they are not in the line and can see from a bigger picture view?

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Mon 22 May, 2017 8:47 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 20 May, 2017 8:08 am
Not unknown , but never been able to get a regular spot on one of the weaker teams in the game. I've seen a few of his games, and they've been mostly a non event, there's worse around , but maybe Cleary sees something that not very many others do, I'm hoping he's not Rankin mark 2.
IMHO, Simona >> Lolohea, even as the goal kicker :crazy
In the last Samoa game, he was 2nd choice goal kicker to the HB (with crooked ankle :bash)