**Live game thread**

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: **Live game thread**

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:17 pm

As always our MVPs Tedesco and Woods were the best, our captain again led by example, fantastic effort 200 m, 28 tackles and 2 missed tackles, and this only 2 days after another great effort at SOO. :sign:
Our weakness was again exposed, Woods run more meters than our 2 2nd rowers and lock combined. :bash
Littlejohn, Lowett and Lawrence are unfortunately miles behind their peers in NRL.
Sue, Falise, Marsters and Chee Kam should be in front in packing order.
Tedesco and Suli were our most dangerous players in attack, Suli was given a few good balls, and broke the line every time.
Loloahea needs to slim 5-10 kg, his reading of the game in defence is not better than Moses.
Not a bad effort, with a bit of luck (that pass from Liddle :crazy ).
Tedesco has again shown why he is the best FB in the game, his defence was inspirational, but he cannot do more on his own without proper 2nd rowers.
Go Tigers :sign:
Last edited by InBenjiWeTrust on Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Newtown
Member
Member
Posts: 5622
Joined: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Newtown » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:18 pm

MacDougall wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:14 pm
Newtown wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:05 pm
MacDougall wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 3:57 pm
Our only path to victory is

1. Tedesco touching the ball min twice per set
2. Dragons not scoring a point through their own inability
3. Tedesco just magically clicking to put 2 tries on

99% loss incoming. Fluke victory is all we can hope for.
We nearly got to that 1% victory chance and it wasn't a fluke. It was all about working hard as a team. Great second half full of inspiration for the remainder of the season if they continue to play for each other.
I love the sentiment but I am far from wrong. Tedesco set up the try. We magically clicked and put two tries on. Dragons managed one try and that is that. We came remarkably close to fluking it.
The effort the team put into the forty minutes of the second half was no fluke.

getagrip
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat 23 Feb, 2013 3:55 pm

Post by getagrip » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:19 pm

Liked the way the newbies went.
Also hope Suli gets more ball with a bit of room to move,

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 2006
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:19 pm

Liddle > McIlwrick and I like McIlwrick. I thought Liddle was really good. Yes he comes up with some poor plays but he also covers for poor plays by other players. He caught some poor passes and makes a lot of tackles.

User avatar
Club Sandwich
Member
Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon 21 Apr, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by Club Sandwich » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:22 pm

We need to make a few more signings before June 30. Like, a lot more.
Next year I think Lawrence has to start from the bench and players like Lovett and JLJ need to be banished.
Tigers tragic since 1980.


User avatar
stryker
Member
Member
Posts: 10825
Joined: Sun 19 Jul, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: Cairns

Post by stryker » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:30 pm

Newtown wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:05 pm
MacDougall wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 3:57 pm
Our only path to victory is

1. Tedesco touching the ball min twice per set
2. Dragons not scoring a point through their own inability
3. Tedesco just magically clicking to put 2 tries on

99% loss incoming. Fluke victory is all we can hope for.
We nearly got to that 1% victory chance and it wasn't a fluke. It was all about working hard as a team. Great second half full of inspiration for the remainder of the season if they continue to play for each other.
I hated most of our first half effort, but that second 40 was very much improved. So much so that if we scored on the bell it would be hard to argue that the better side lost. I agree with Newtown. Based on that second half a win would not have been a fluke. Saints were near full strength whilst we were very mixed. Despite lots of passes not finding the mark we were in that game because our forwards refused to be rolled. No doubt saints got on top for the majority in the middle but our pack kept fighting. Talk smack about Lovett in attack all you want but his work off the ball was great.

Happy with the change in attitude and grit shown. Desperate players trying to play in Ivan's 2018 side will score us a few wins this season yet.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4064
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:33 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:12 pm
TigerWoods wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:04 pm
Joelcainenumber1fan wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:02 pm
TigerWoods wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 4:57 pm
A few things...

1. JLJ tried hard but proved once again he is not FG standard. Apart from 1-2 kicks his last tackle options left a lot to be desired and many of his passes were woeful.
2. Like JLJ Liddle showed he's not yet anywhere near FG standard. Some really bad passes including the botched pass to MCK that would've been a try.
3. Lovett once again was awful. Enough said.
4. Marsters looked good and should be in the 17 each week from now on. He made some mistakes but he'll only get better once his confidence grows.
5. Lolohea is not match fit. I'm not even sure he's a 5/8. He may be better switching to centre until 2018. However, he may perform better at 5/8 once he builds up his match fitness.
6. Naqama actually played pretty well, probably his best game in a while.
7. 16-12 is a fair result for us seeing as we are practically fielding an ISP side.

bit harsh on liddle thought he was finding a ton of gaps out there and opened them up a few times
yes the 2 passes were poor and clost us but he will get better with more game time
Ok maybe a bit harsh but unlike JLJ and Lovett I really want to emphasise 'not yet ready'. He will be one day.
Liddle was excellent. He is definitely ready. His ability to cut down big men is amazing. The only other little man who I have seen do that so early in their career was Andrew Johns.

He threw two poor passes, one when he slipped at dummy half and the other when the person playing the ball rolled it too deep.

The pass to MCK could have been better but MCK still should have caught it. Liddle's alertness to keep the play alive was great.
Liddle is already at first grade standard and agree bar the MCK pass, in which he needed to at least try to draw Dugan before passing.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue 02 May, 2017 1:54 pm

Post by FreddyK » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:33 pm

Let's consider the age of some of our players today - Liddle (21), Marsters (21), Suli (19), Felise (21), and Lolohea (22). I think that it is fair to say that Ivan is blooding them for next year before the big boys come to play. We are only half way through the season so the more they are put through the grinder the better we will look in 2018 when Reynolds, Packer, Matulino, McQueen etc come on board. Let's just see how they develop over the season.

User avatar
dazza65
Member
Member
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Sydney

Post by dazza65 » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:42 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:33 pm
Let's consider the age of some of our players today - Liddle (21), Marsters (21), Suli (19), Felise (21), and Lolohea (22). I think that it is fair to say that Ivan is blooding them for next year before the big boys come to play. We are only half way through the season so the more they are put through the grinder the better we will look in 2018 when Reynolds, Packer, Matulino, McQueen etc come on board. Let's just see how they develop over the season.
This ⬆️
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4064
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:45 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:30 pm
Newtown wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:05 pm
MacDougall wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 3:57 pm
Our only path to victory is

1. Tedesco touching the ball min twice per set
2. Dragons not scoring a point through their own inability
3. Tedesco just magically clicking to put 2 tries on

99% loss incoming. Fluke victory is all we can hope for.
We nearly got to that 1% victory chance and it wasn't a fluke. It was all about working hard as a team. Great second half full of inspiration for the remainder of the season if they continue to play for each other.
I hated most of our first half effort, but that second 40 was very much improved. So much so that if we scored on the bell it would be hard to argue that the better side lost. I agree with Newtown. Based on that second half a win would not have been a fluke. Saints were near full strength whilst we were very mixed. Despite lots of passes not finding the mark we were in that game because our forwards refused to be rolled. No doubt saints got on top for the majority in the middle but our pack kept fighting. Talk smack about Lovett in attack all you want but his work off the ball was great.

Happy with the change in attitude and grit shown. Desperate players trying to play in Ivan's 2018 side will score us a few wins this season yet.
Can't understand a lot of the Lovett hate today either, let alone other times. Not a great player, but puts in an effort in line with his capabilities pretty well every match. Think it is a bit of a bandwagon thing for some that put the boot into him.

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2099
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:51 pm

Lovett=terrible from day one and no sign of improvement

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:01 pm

Surrounded by decent players Lovett would be a role playing back rower. His performance for city last year was good and much better than Sironen. Unfortunately we do not have the good players that allow him to simply make tackles and hit-ups.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2710
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:05 pm

Lovett doesnt drop that ball - he has a solid game. The trouble is any mistake he makes is manifested and that one cost a try and in the end proved the difference between winning and losing.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 2006
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:06 pm

Lovett is decent. A decent role player if he can get rid of the crud play or two per game that he comes up with. He dropped a ball from ET that was decent even though he was under pressure and the Drag Queens scored. That is a game changer. Get rid of those plays and he is a first grader. At the moment though he comes up with those plays.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2710
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:07 pm

Lovett doesnt drop that ball - he has a solid game. The trouble is any mistake he makes is manifested and that one cost a try and in the end proved the difference between winning and losing.
Last edited by Telltails on Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm

Post by tigerap » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:09 pm

TigerWoods wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:01 pm
Dear Ivan, please don't play JLJ again. Yours sincerely, every Tigers supporter.
P.S. And while your at it don't play Lovett either. Thanks.
Dear Mr Woods, when you only have 1 driver in your golf bag you tee off with a 3 iron... signed Ivan

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33027
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:09 pm

Lovett's biggest problem is that he offers nothing in attack, there's no speed, no power and no offload, which is what you DON'T want in a backrower. The only thing keeping him in FG is his workrate, which is first class - 47 tackles and 97 metres in attack. It's just that he doesn't thump in defence and doesn't spark any second phase play in attack, which makes him predictable.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 2006
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:12 pm

Telltails wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:07 pm
Lovett doesnt drop that ball - he has a solid game. The trouble is any mistake he makes is manifested and that one cost a try and in the end proved the difference between winning and losing.
Exactly. You can't make mistakes like that. It's pretty harsh on him but that is reality. It was a tough pass to take but the impact of dropping it was huge.

I reckon he could be a great option for us because he goes hard but that crud play is just unacceptable.

Post Reply