Re: Worst performance I have ever seen from a halfback

Unread post by rialto » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 9:01 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 7:15 pm
formerguest wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:56 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 6:35 pm
Well duh. We're coming 15th and using a second string halfback. He's not going to exactly be Andrew Johns. Who should be playing halfback then? Never hear any alternatives.
Rankin, as a good few have stated today, along with some usual haters prior to the game who did the same.
Then when Rankin has a shocker everyone lynches him and calls for JLJ. Doesn't matter who you put there, they will struggle. These guys are probably on close to minimum contracts. Its ridiculous to expect them to dominate like players earning half a million dollars. Its unrealistic. Whinging for the sake of whinging.
JLJ. Methinks he played better under Taylor. But that's just my opinion.

stevied
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by stevied » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 9:23 pm

He seems to have lost a lot of confidence compared to when he first filled in. Some St. George supporters sitting behind me made the observation that he seems to second guess himself. I think what they meant was that he doesn't seem to be sure what he wants to do, whether it be run, pass or kick. As well as offering virtually nothing in attack, he missed 6 tackles today. Lolohea and Rankin next week if Brooks is not available?

Dingo

Unread post by Dingo » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 9:55 pm

Milky wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 4:39 pm
Fairdinkum, Littlejohn...wow
The titles misleading, we didn't have a half back play today did we? Did we?

Dingo

Unread post by Dingo » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 10:01 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 4:54 pm
And to think he was once touted as the next big thing at Manly before Cherry-Evans popped up.
I remember years ago article after article about this wiz kid with the weird robin hood name. Articles laying it on thick that he'd be the next Cooper Cronk, as it turns out he isn't even close to the Tigers woeful Johnny Cronk.

Dingo

Unread post by Dingo » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 10:04 pm

18thman wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 5:21 pm
how many chances should a guy have? not a first graders bootlace......surely we have better alternatives

"How many chances should a guy have?"

He plays for the Tigers mate, I'm surprised he hasn't been signed up recently on a 5 year contract. A reward for getting dressed by himself.

Club Sandwich
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Club Sandwich » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 10:38 pm

stevied wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 9:23 pm
He seems to have lost a lot of confidence compared to when he first filled in. Some St. George supporters sitting behind me made the observation that he seems to second guess himself. I think what they meant was that he doesn't seem to be sure what he wants to do, whether it be run, pass or kick. As well as offering virtually nothing in attack, he missed 6 tackles today. Lolohea and Rankin next week if Brooks is not available?
If Brooks isn't available next week then Cleary can't play JLJ again. I'm not sure who plays instead, Rankin or someone else but it absolutely cannot be JLJ. He really weighed us down in attack today and showed he's not FG standard. He gives 100%, I'll give him that over Moses, but he really should be looking at another career.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

jirskyr
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 11:10 am

What saddens me is his first 4-5 games for Tigers last year were alright. Now he's been given proper authority and responsibility and it's been terrible. I mean he's come here for this exact opportunity, to poke into the side when the young kids are injured or repping (or getting mid-year releases) and his performance have been terrible.

You look at a guy like Frawley, he's in a similar position having not made it at his former club (Raiders) then plying his time in ISP (Frawley is 22 though JLJ is 25). Frawley gets his opportunity in firsts and he has been alright. Not great but alright. JLJ has been awful, really awful.

When you are at great risk of being a career reserve grader, that 4-6 game run you might get becomes your one chance to turn it on. So extra disappointing, with so much at stake for JLJ personally, to be so fundamentally poor. Put in some kicks, take tackles, make tackles, throw good passes. Nobody expects a Shaun Johnson running game or a Thurston passing game.

I haven't seen a player throw so many passes out back to nobody since Mitcheel, and for a fleeting moment of strange mentality yesterday I accepte3d how Mitcheel is a vastly superior footballer to JLJ, and that's saying something.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 11:40 am

I was thinking the same thing during the game.

I was thinking about Ben Jefferies, Lincoln Withers, Keiran Kerr, Jacob Miller, Ben Black etc they all looked better than JLJ and most of them didnt get the benefit of the extended run in firsts that JLJ has got.

His positioning, his passing, his play selection and his short kicking are all woeful.

He can put up a decent bomb and thats about it.

I hate saying this because JLJ seems like a good bloke and I don't generally like criticising reserve graders who give their best.

We need Brooks back asap.

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 11:44 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 03 Jun, 2017 4:54 pm
And to think he was once touted as the next big thing at Manly before Cherry-Evans popped up.
I think you are confusing players. JLJ was purchased by Manly as a back up to Cherry Evans. Played for the Dogs and Roosters before that. Roosters cut him after NYC.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... b29f52e2db

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:08 pm

Hope he doesn't read the forum

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Milky » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 12:08 pm