Wests Tigers side for Round 1

X-Pac

Re: Wests Tigers side for Round 1

Post by X-Pac » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:08 pm

tomcat wrote:
X-Pac wrote:i thought u people said sheens bought well and gave us some depth :x
sit back with me x pac. and we'll have a laugh together.. :lol:
yes cause even though we have some good juniors sheens is still selecting the team :lol:

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:21 pm

Maybe Lote will play off the bench and Fitzy starting on the wing. Glad to see Moores and Flannagan in the team, when Payten returns i wonder who will miss out.

alien

Post by alien » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:21 pm

willow wrote:
alien wrote:
X-Pac wrote:i thought u people said sheens bought well and gave us some depth :x
We have plenty of depth but he isn't selecting the best 17 players.
Best 17 players according to who alien? You? Me?
It's obviously my opinion since I am the one that wrote it.

I also have a hunch that most people on this forum agree that Fitzhenry should not be in firstgrade.

Chunk

Post by Chunk » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:25 pm

Granto87 wrote:Maybe Lote will play off the bench and Fitzy starting on the wing. Glad to see Moores and Flannagan in the team, when Payten returns i wonder who will miss out.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Lote start from the bench, you'd think he would have to get kind of feel for the game.

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:27 pm

tomcat wrote:ha ha , and ill tell yar now , we will be very lucky to make the play offs this year..
Tomcat if that is true, i will have to laugh also ... too many tears of anger shed over the past 4 years :cry: If we dont have the 'depth' once again this year lets pray the law of averages and maybe luck is one our side!
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:29 pm

innsaneink wrote:Cayless = Rose

Geo I thought you knew your stuff :lol:

Their bench is much much better than ours, better balnce and more ooomph in attack, tighter in D too...

Only comparison is Rodney & Flannagan imo
:roll: Oh Okay....I'm wrong...pardon me for talking up our blokes ..If fact Manly are a far superior team to the Wests Tigers right across the Park.....

Bloody Silvertail Scum......Make victory even sweeter.....Just the way I like it.... :sign:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by innsaneink » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:37 pm

Ive not been impressed with Cayless at all this year....your entitled to your opinion but I know for a fact youve seen him also at least once, surprised me thats all.
Hopefully he proves me wrong in time.

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 9:43 pm

Granto87 wrote:Maybe Lote will play off the bench and Fitzy starting on the wing. Glad to see Moores and Flannagan in the team, when Payten returns i wonder who will miss out.
I'd drop Fitzy, put Todd in the 2nd row (Or on the bench and have either Moors, Flanagan or Mataka start in the 2nd row), and drop Fulton to the bench.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 10:24 pm

I thinks thats a good side. The bench explains most of itself with Moors and Cayless playing up front and Flanagan in the back-row. Fitzhenry I guess is there for a back-line injury which is fairly common early in the season, and for Lote just in case. He can also play some hooker. Either way I don't think he will get too many minutes.

I would be attacking Tony Williams in defence all night. Go down his side and make him make tackle-after-tackle than throw an inside ball. Than next set make him make a decision with a sweeping back-line move. With their big pack too, I think we would be best off keeping the ball in play as much as we can and wearing them out.

Properossi

Post by Properossi » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 10:30 pm

A lot of different opinions posted here! It will be interesting to see who's opinions will be wrong after the first round! My bet is Tomcat!

alex

Post by alex » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 10:33 pm

I reckon the starting line up will remain the same with Payten taking Fitzy's spot on the bench. Either that or Payten would start for Fulton/Heighington will Fitzy still missing out.

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 11:11 pm

Flanagan set for NRL bow
Tuesday 9th March 2010

Former Wigan forward Mark Flanagan, who made just 10 appearances in Super League, will make his debut in Australia's National Rugby League this weekend.

The 22-year-old Oldham-born loose forward, who is the son of former Great Britain international Terry Flanagan, has been named on the bench for his new club Wests Tigers' opening game against Manly Sea Eagles on Monday.

Flanagan, a former Bradford academy player who did not make his Wigan debut until last June, has signed a 12-month contract with the Tigers with an option for 2011.

He will be in good company on his debut for also in the Wests Tigers team are Liam Fulton, Jason Cayless and Daniel Fitzhenry, who were all playing in Super League last season with Huddersfield, St Helens and Hull KR respectively, as well as England international and former Leeds and Wakefield second-rower Gareth Ellis.

Also poised to make his Tigers bow is dual-code international winger Lote Tuqiri, who is due to arrive in Sydney on Wednesday to take up a three-year contract after playing his last match for Leicester at the weekend.

Another England forward, Sam Burgess, will make his NRL debut on Sunday after being named in South Sydney's starting line-up for the game against Sydney Roosters at the Olympic Stadium.

The 21-year-old former Bradford favourite, who has taken up a four-year contract with the Rabbitohs, will be up against former Catalans Dragons prop Jason Ryles, who will make his debut for the Roosters.
Bring Back Dr Pepper -- Tiger Blood

turnstyle
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 11:19 pm

thank god the season is finally here! except that we are playing on a monday... hate the tiges on a monday (it starts at 4 here in WA).

okay, only just back, but lets start with a typical little turnstyle rant about this side and this year.

1. a lot depends on benji. he had a vastly improved season last year and despite my earlier complaints, he toned his game down and became far more valuable. also, renewed willingness to tackle makes him an asset once more. having lui at half leaves marshall with no one to step on his toes and get in his way. also, its a great way for lui to slowly come into his own at top level, much like his halves mate has done.
2. GO LOTE!!! followed this all summer and am so happy he is a tiger! i reckon he is going to carve...
3. i still like moltzen as a fullback. glad he is there.
4. ayshford and lawrence: what an awesome centre pairing we have this year.
5. great to see ryan there and i wouldnt be surprised to see tuiaki in the second row this year.
6. is it just me, or was anyone else here wondering what the use of re signing fitzy and fulton was? sure, they were pretty good, but to me it just seems regressive... should be young guys coming through and although i am far from a fitzy basher (i liked to concentrate on benji... ; ) ) we have plenty of better wingers than him. and please god, lets not see him anywhere near 5/8th again..... fulton is fallback value only IMO... hopefully, they are on Skando wages!
7. ellis to give further back up to my early claims last year (i know...i have nostradamus like awesomeness!) that he will prove to be the best tigers recruit ever, and yes, including hanley. i think he already is the wests tigers best...

8. the manly side looks pretty strong to me...hate to say it, but i would be VERY happy for the tiges to come away with the 2 points come monday.

and finally, 9. IM STILL HAPPY WE WON IT IN 2005!!! seriously, im still happy about it!

heres to a 2010 where the guys on the park really show what they are capable of and make us all happy little vegemites. : )

Post by 851 » Tue 09 Mar, 2010 11:29 pm

alex wrote:
I reckon the starting line up will remain the same with Payten taking Fitzy's spot on the bench. Either that or Payten would start for Fulton/Heighington will Fitzy still missing out.
This Fitzy fascination thing Sheens has,better be just a 1 week thing to cover Tuqiri,otherwise this is a sick joke. :cry:
Go hard or go home

alien

Post by alien » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 1:07 am

We don't even need a back on the interchange. If Benji needs to come off then Liam moving to five eighth would be better than Fitzy coming on and playing five eighth. We really need another prop or second rower on the bench.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 1:42 am

Fantastic bench selection by the current Australian coach!!

14. Jason Cayless - to cover one prop position
15. Junior Moors - to cover one prop position
16. Mark Flanagan - to cover the backrow
17. Daniel Fitzhenry - to cover every single other position in the team

Masterstroke!!

:righton:
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 4:15 am

crouching_tiger wrote:Fantastic bench selection by the current Australian coach!!

14. Jason Cayless - to cover one prop position
15. Junior Moors - to cover one prop position
16. Mark Flanagan - to cover the backrow
17. Daniel Fitzhenry - to cover every single other position in the team,and do it in a very average fashion

Masterstroke!!

:righton:

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Wed 10 Mar, 2010 7:03 am

Its a good side.

The starting side could be one of the top sides in the comp depending on how Lui performs. The bench isn't bad - 2 props, a backrower and a hooker/back interchange player.

I think it is one of Sheens better selections since he has been here.

The Manly side is no joke though - tough game.