Wests Tigers side for Round 1

southerntiger

Re: Wests Tigers side for Round 1

Post by southerntiger » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 4:07 pm

Turnstyle,

This is not having a go because it is clear that your post is well intentioned.

But I tend to think that our impression of players is very much shaped on how the media presents them to us. As we dont know the players personally it is diificult to look outside the media perception. Last year the media happened to focus on Farah's battles with Ennis for origin. I actually think Robbie played some very good games last year but he also happened to play some poor games as well (particularly at the back end of the season).

Watto I strongly disgaree that Farah is not in the top 20 players. Whilst his form may have been slightly down last year he is still one of top 3 creative players in the NRL. His form wasnt helped by the failure of the refs to adequately police the ruck. 2007 was without a doubt Farah's best season - he was robbed of the Dally M. If he can recapture that form we will go a long way to making the top 4.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:10 pm

turnstyle wrote:just on robbie, i got the feeling last year the whole farrah/SOO thing got too much focus on his part and to be a little brutal, the impression i got was that he was more concerned about himself than the team. i hope this changes this season. good luck to him, but tigers come first IMO.

I could not disagree more with this post......if there is another more selfless bloke then Farah then Im yet to see it.

He has played on one leg and got us home,as well as sacrificing the Dally M to play halfback.

This feller is 100%tiger and Im shocked you dont agree?????

If you are looking for reasons why his form was a smidgeon down then I suggest injury not his tiger ticker.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:13 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Whilst his form may have been slightly down last year he is still one of top 3 creative players in the NRL. His form wasnt helped by the failure of the refs to adequately police the ruck. .
Agree......I reckon he catches lazy markers at least 2/3 times a game and gets nothing.

I actually think he is too good at it and the refs dont like giving them to him.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:16 pm

If u cant see Farah has sometimes played for himself than u dont pay attention. Even Sheens has said it. Now, i must say, overall i agree though. Some of the things he's done for us while injured have been remarkable, and i have no doubt the Robbie Farah of 2010 is more focued on the tigers than he is on himself. In form, he's in the top 5 players in the world.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 5:46 pm

king sirro wrote:If u cant see Farah has sometimes played for himself than u dont pay attention.

Im assuming by this you mean that often Farah goes for the solo play because at times he has looked like the only bloke capable of winning it or us then I agree.

If you are making out he is some kind of hog......well Benny Elias used to get accused of hogging it too.

And I thought it was absolutely absurd.As I do with Farah.

PS.......I ask you,are you paying attention????? :lol: :lol:

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:04 pm

Robbie does hog it sometimes though to the detriment of the team. And his season last year was poor. His games within origin were also rubbish and Ennis outperformed him there.

In saying all that he is a gun player and does have the ability to be one of the best players in the game - I personally don't think that he is in the class of Benji or Hayne but when he fires he is close.

I just hope he fires this year.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:32 pm

Simon, ive said it once before and ill say it again, qoute my entire post and highlight the bit u want to respond to, that way others reading can have a fair take on whats being said and understand the context. Pay attention to that mate and be fair.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:38 pm

king sirro wrote:qoute my entire post .
Ok. :lol:

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:42 pm

Childish, but to be expected. Dont know how you havent been banned really, all u do is try and bait people. But ill continue to play fair with u, i find it quite SIMPLE
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:50 pm

tiger05 wrote:Robbie does hog it sometimes though to the detriment of the team. And his season last year was poor. His games within origin were also rubbish and Ennis outperformed him there.

In saying all that he is a gun player and does have the ability to be one of the best players in the game - I personally don't think that he is in the class of Benji or Hayne but when he fires he is close.

The only part of this i agree with is that Ennis was better in game three.Farah's worst game ever was in Origin and I dont blame the selectors for axing him.......he must have been injured,I couldnt believe how awful he went.

Saying his last season was poor is way off.In the first half of the year he was on fire,as usual.

He has been our most consistent and best player for the better part of five years.

Have a look at his stats,for a hooker they are off the richter.
Cant believe peeps are baggin him.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:55 pm

simonthetiger wrote:
tiger05 wrote:Robbie does hog it sometimes though to the detriment of the team. And his season last year was poor. His games within origin were also rubbish and Ennis outperformed him there.

The only part of this i agree with is that Ennis was better in game three.Farah's worst game ever was in Origin and I dont blame the selectors for axing him.......he must have been injured,I couldnt believe how awful he went.

Saying his last season was poor is way off.In the first half of the year he was on fire,as usual.

He has been our most consistent and best player for the better part of five years.

Have a look at his stats,for a hooker they are off the richter.
Cant believe peeps are baggin him.
Yeh, Ennis played better than Farah in Origin, but im sure u agree that if u put it into perspective, Ennis proved nothing that night. Im sure im not being biased in saying that if Robbie played behind that dominant NSW forward pack in game 3 we would have won by 20.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

BRET

Post by BRET » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 7:59 pm

simonthetiger wrote:
I could not disagree more with this post......if there is another more selfless bloke then Farah then Im yet to see it.
Anyone here go to Dally M awards a few years back? Apparently there was a selfish incident there that night where he offended some supporters who had been there all night then waited in the rain afterwards for him. A few of these people lost respect for him that night.

I like Robbie myself. I was impressed after him particularly after GF 2005 when he made sure he signed every last thing the kids wanted that day even tho he obviously had had a big night prior. I love him as a player too. He is a brilliant hooker. But my mind did go back to the night of Dally M when speaking of him being selfless.
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that
whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.

-Vince Lombardi

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 8:27 pm

king sirro wrote:Yeh, Ennis played better than Farah in Origin, but im sure u agree that if u put it into perspective, Ennis proved nothing that night. Im sure im not being biased in saying that if Robbie played behind that dominant NSW forward pack in game 3 we would have won by 20.
I'm not saying that it proves anything but the simple fact is that Robbie threw terrible passes, looked slow and didn't appear up to it. Most unbiased supporters saw Ennis giving real good crisp service from dummy half that Robbie simply didn't provide. That was the reality of their performances.

He wasn't good last year either. I do think over the course of the season he was still better than Ennis however it was close. In stating that I thought last year was his worst year by far.

I know he can do better and I am writing off last year as an abberation but he has on more than one occassion taken the wrong option close to the line. I cannot itemise when this has occured but it simply has been the worst part of his game for a while. Sheens has spoken about it so I am not imaging it.

I think he can be a great player but he has to get his form back and work on consistently taking the right option.

An in form Farah (2007 model minus the occassional hog play) and Marshall (as per 2009) will give us a chance to beat any team in the comp.

I'm hopeful this year that they both put it together.

Year of the Tiger

Post by Year of the Tiger » Thu 11 Mar, 2010 11:03 pm

supercoach wrote:Flanagan and Fitzy on the bench, would have thought they would have both serve the same purpose, but I think Sheens has picked a pretty good squad. I would have swapped Fitzy or Flanagan with another big forward but maybe its horses for courses and Sheens see the little men doing the damage in the early season games. I really have no complaints, bring monday night on
From I have read elsewhere, Flanagan is not small and will cover most of the pack except the big boppers. I just hope Taumata gets a run on the bench once he recovers ... assuming he behaves - BE GOOD ARANA! So while we wait for him and Tuaki, Fitzy seems to be the man
2 October 2005 was the greatest day of my life ...

jack from Leicester

Post by jack from Leicester » Fri 12 Mar, 2010 3:28 am

Hello from England!
Having had the pleasure of watching the one and only Lote Tuquiri playing for my club, Leicester Tigers in the RU Premiership in England I wanted to wish the bloke good luck - wont be easy readjusting to RL, but he's a versatile guy who will perform well for you. Good to see he's selected for the first match. All the best to the s.hemisphere Tigers from us in the freezing north!!

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri 12 Mar, 2010 6:50 am

Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting Jack. Lote must have made a hell of an impact for you guys and I for one am excited he's here. Don't be a stranger mate, cheers!

senexx

Post by senexx » Fri 12 Mar, 2010 10:04 am

Late last night on channel ten I saw the tigers training. Lote was there and he looked a little slow and seemed to overshoot the mark. At least when he had to go sideways.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Fri 12 Mar, 2010 4:03 pm

southerntiger wrote:Turnstyle,

This is not having a go because it is clear that your post is well intentioned.

But I tend to think that our impression of players is very much shaped on how the media presents them to us. As we dont know the players personally it is diificult to look outside the media perception. Last year the media happened to focus on Farah's battles with Ennis for origin. I actually think Robbie played some very good games last year but he also happened to play some poor games as well (particularly at the back end of the season).

Watto I strongly disgaree that Farah is not in the top 20 players. Whilst his form may have been slightly down last year he is still one of top 3 creative players in the NRL. His form wasnt helped by the failure of the refs to adequately police the ruck. 2007 was without a doubt Farah's best season - he was robbed of the Dally M. If he can recapture that form we will go a long way to making the top 4.
hey southerntiger,
thanks for the reply - i certainy took no offense. good post. :)

i completely agree that i cant comment on a player other than what i see. i will never comment on a players personality or anything other than him as a rugby league player for the tigers as i have never met any of them and have no right to judge them in this capacity anyway.

what you say about us only seeing what the media presents is entirely correct in my case, as i am in perth.

the thing that annoyed me about farah was a story last season about how he always had "SOO" written in marker on his taping. i admit, this may or may not even be true, but if so, i thought it was not the sort of thing i would like to see as a team mate or supporter of the tigers - especially as he is the captain.

his obvious petulance in the post match press conference after round 1 last year did him no favours either.

having said that, i am sure there are many occasions where he would prove my 'selfish' theory wrong.

i read on here somewhere last season that an opposition player the tigers were giving heaps to (can anyone else recall it? maybe david williams?) stayed on field and signed autographs and it made me really admire the guy. obviously not thatmuch because i cant remember exactly who it was!!!

the thing is, it is under conditions of adversity where a person really gets the chance to show a strong character.

in the end, i just want him back to his best and helping the tigers succeed. :sign: